Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Campag Record Hubs
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’ve purchased some old campag record hubs which I want to build up on an old vintage bike.

I am a bit unsure what size they will be and if I need a specific frame size or if its possible to just change the axel size?

I am unsure of the exact year but have attached a photo…..can anybody advise? any help is greatly appreciated!

kilo

I’m going for 126mm rear and 100mm front, so any old bike set up for 6+7 speed.

this question got me reading;

http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/classic-components-campagnolo-record.html

therevokid
    Free Member

i’d say 126 and 100 as well …. screw on block could be 5/6/7 speed.
    You could post up on retrobike – they’d know for sure 🙂

kilo

I like campag record hubs, I bought a set of pistas for some track wheels a couple of years ago, lovely kit

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’m trying to build an old bike for my fathers 60th, have purchased these hubs ad an 1992 campag chorus crankset so far,have also looked at some old clad butler frames with 115mm rear spacing, so do you think I could make these hubs fit?

boblo
    Free Member

I had some of those; Record hubs/GP4’s/chrome double butted – aah, the 80’s 🙂

Yes; 100mm/126mm screw on. Used mine with 6 and 7 speed. They are lovely hubs.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I had a pair of these too back in the eighties. Lovely hubs. Though they never needed servicing, it was a rare pleasure to strip, clean and rebuild them. I still have my Campag cone spanners in my toolbox.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

paid £40 delivered from Italy, thought that was fairy reasonable?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have a couple of sets with GP4’s as well. One did run a 8 speed freewheel. Possibly I slid a washer over the axle at either ends to make room for a wider freewheel. In those days taking a file to the dropout to stop top gear rubbing was pretty normal. I have a wonderful 7 speed Regina titanium block in use on one at the moment.

orangeboy
    Free Member

That’s a very expensive screw on block and it not fair I don’t have one.
    I’d not want to force a 115 frame to 126 saying that don’t rember ever seeing a 115 oln frame

kilo

are you sure about 115, a track frame, which only has one gear is 120

Andy

Those record hubs are superb because they were fully serviceable. The races can be pulled and replaced. Plus they are through hardened not just case hardened like all other hubs so last for ages.

Those look like 100 front and 126 or 130 wide (possible as they are post 1978 versions) rear. Also for Italian threaded freewheel but an English should fit fine but worth checking.

If searching for a frame, worth noting that 126mm drop outs are most common but 110, 115, 120, 122 and 126 versions exist. Hubs can be adjusted to fit using 10mm washers but may need a new axle depending on difference which are hard to find.

If you are building up a period bike, might want to consider buying a complete bike that just needs a few bits swapped as the parts on their own seem to go for silly money these days

Retrobike is your friend for this but email in profile if needs

EDIT modern track frames are 120 but older ones were 115 or even 110 (with a 90mm front)

boblo
    Free Member

One of the best things about them is the grease port (covered by the spring clips mid hub). This allows easy regular maintenance via grease injection. There’s really no excuse for these hubs being badly maintained.

jools182
    Free Member

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how do you service campagnolo hubs?

I’ve got a few sets now, but I can’t work out how to get them apart

Oops just saw above post. I’d still like to visually check the bearings though

boblo
    Free Member

They’re just like any other cup and cone hub. Undo one side, remove from the other, scatter balls all over garage floor, spend rest of day looking for them then clean/regrease/reassemble.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Cheer guys, much appreciated as I’m a bit of a newbie to it all!

So the 115mm frame, do you think that’s a no go with these hubs? It’s an old 1963 frame 531 tubing with 115 mm ff dropouts?

therevokid
    Free Member

you could get the frame “cold set” to 120mm.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Bit nervous about “cold setting” the frame as I read something about having to realign the dropouts and the chainstay?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Cold set in this context is a fancy term for holding a dropout in each hand and pulling them apart a bit. A small tug won’ t do anything as the frame will spring back. Why not just tug the dropouts part as you pop the wheel in. Wouldn’t worry about alignment,an older 5 speed mech won’t care.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Andy – Member

Those record hubs are superb because they were fully serviceable. The races can be pulled and replaced.

As can most shimano hubs!

Widening the dropouts is straightforward, ideally you would re set them after – if you don’t then it’s the same as pulling them apart to get the hub in each time – the QR will partly re set them anyway.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

So I should be able to fit the hub in with a bit of elbow grease is what your saying? I’ve atatched photo of frame….bit of an impulse purchase!

https://plus.google.com/105588509902197342300/posts/bpRYaUTdxwj?pid=6162406666272756002&oid=105588509902197342300

speckledbob
    Free Member

That is lovely. Needs some old Blumels mudguards.

Have you got a pump for the top tube braze-ons?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Very pretty. Just try the hubs and see how you find them.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Campag Record Hubs’ is closed to new replies.