Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 569 total)
  • Cameron kicks EU in the nuts – right decision?
  • binners

I’d say Dave’s current biggest problem is Vince. Can’t see him wearing it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GLITCHY BUMPY THINGY AGAIN

mcboo
    Free Member

62% support DC use of the veto. 19% oppose.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stillglitchybumpynonsense

druidh
    Free Member

mcboo – Member
    62% support DC use of the veto. 19% oppose.

I’d suggest that at least 80% of those quizzed have no idea what he was “veto-ing” or why.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d suggest that at least 80% of those quizzed have no idea what he was “veto-ing” or why.

Make that 81%, and you could suggest that only the “don’t knows” fully understand the issue.

druidh
    Free Member

😛

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

uponthedowns – Member

I agree the one good thing Culpability Brown did was to keep us out of the Euro.

And yet David Cameron and George Osborne wouldn’t necessarily agree with you.

Cameron and Osborne not only liked the Iron Chancellor’s opposition to the Euro, but the were also particularly enthusiastic with two other central planks of Brown’s economic policies.

Firstly they wholeheartedly agree with his decision to give the Bank of England independence to set interest rates, a decision which was described at the time as the most radical shake-up in the bank’s 300 year history.

And secondly, after 10 years of Brown’s tenure as Chancellor of the Exchequer they fully supported his public spending plans.

In fact they were so supportive of Labour’s public spending that George Osborne pledged a Tory government would match them.

Tories ‘to match Labour spending’

Quote :

“A Conservative government would match Labour’s projected public spending totals for the next three years, shadow chancellor George Osborne has said.”

Of course when the devastating effect of the banker’s global recession/credit crunch became apparent, Cameron and Osborne, the eternal opportunists, quickly changed their minds. But right up ’til that moment they were very enthusiastic about Labour’s projected public spending.

So there you have it…… on the three issues which have come to characterised Gordon Brown’s time as Chancellor of the Exchequer – Bank of England independence, UK exclusion of the Euro, and public spending, Cameron and Osborne have fully supported him.

Sorry to piss on your chips lads.

And btw just for the record although I supported Brown on exclusion from the Euro, I did not support him either on BoE independence nor on tax and spending.

Far more separates me and New Labour than separates the Conservatives and New Labour.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Listening to the politicians, I reckon 80% of them dont know what he was veto-ing (and that’s in the Tory party :wink:)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ernie – I think that (GO’s comments) were purely electioneering, but now he is spending and borrowing even more. So you right, basically very little of significance between Lab & Tories in terms of real policies – of course a gaping chasm in terms of rhetoric…most of which is pure BS

uponthedowns
    Free Member

And yet David Cameron and George Osborne wouldn’t necessarily agree with you

So what Ernie. I didn’t mention them you just did. You seem to be obsessed with them for some reason.

Far more separates me and New Labour than separates the Conservatives and New Labour

And therein lies Thatchers greatest achievement in shifting the centre of British politics to the right.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So what Ernie. I didn’t mention them you just did. You seem to be obsessed with them for some reason.

Yep, it was me who mentioned them, ie, as in : “And yet David Cameron and George Osborne wouldn’t necessarily agree with you”. I can’t see the bit where I suggested you mentioned them – can you ?

And as for “obsessed with them”, well one is Prime Minister and the other is Chancellor of the Exchequer, so kinda hard to ignore them……wouldn’t you agree ?

Anyway, you sound a little miffed…….did I piss on your chips ? Sorry 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting where the Lib Dems in the cabinet sit in PMQs this week (is there one this week? when does the xmas recess start?)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting where the Lib Dems in the cabinet sit in PMQs this week

Well if Cameron can’t make it due to the fact that he is otherwise engaged, then the Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg, will be at the despatch box……..putting the case for the government. And presumably defending it from hostile questions.

I bet he’s relishing the thought – he has always seemed to.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

binners

Lib Dems? The passive wing of the Tory party.

Looks like Nick likes his ministerial car a bit much to actually MTFU and grow a pair! Pathetic! But he still looks like Conan the Barbarian next to Wet Ed! We’re in this mess because we haven’t got an opposition worthy of the name!

It’s thoroughly depressing really

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Anyway, you sound a little miffed…….did I piss on your chips ? Sorry

Sorry to disappoint you Ern I don’t take you that seriously- just trying a little wind up on you 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Now lets all hope DC doesn’t make it the PMQT -it would be great theatre to have NG standing in. What a great thought ernie

Edukator
    Free Member

Well according to Europe 1 this morning Britain is now “hors jeu”, which means off side in footy and reverting to your real self in role play games. The veto is being celebrated in that now the brakes (the UK) are off Europe can really move forward. They even quoted Pompidou who wasn’t too keem on Britain joining the union in the first place.

Personally, the EU has opened lots of doors for me and I thank Mr Heath for overcoming Pompidou’s reticence.

A financial analyst thinks Cameron’s plan to protect the city will backfire, Frankfurt will be more than ever seen as the financial hub of Europe.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well according to Europe 1 this morning Britain is now “hors jeu”, which means off side in footy and reverting to your real self in role play games.

Well it won’t be the first time sunshine. And of course once again Europe will thank us.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDWDAMRBeU&feature=related[/video]

mcboo
    Free Member

A financial analyst thinks Cameron’s plan to protect the city will backfire, Frankfurt will be more than ever seen as the financial hub of Europe.

Jeez more than ever? That much eh?

We were promised a referendum on Lisbon but Brown dodged it. This is way overdue.

It is noted that it is the same people squeeling now about the veto are the same people who said we ought to be in the Euro.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mcboo- Brown dodged nothing and there is nothing to have a referendum over here – we need a public vote cos an stupid prime minister beholden to a bunch of deluded xenophobes made a serious miscalculation in an EU negotiation and used a veto unnecessarily leaving us stuck 26:1 on the outside?

konabunny
    Free Member

“Looks like Nick likes his ministerial car a bit much to actually MTFU and grow a pair! Pathetic!”

…and let the Labour party in?

If there’s any M’ingTFU to be done, it’s around realising that forming a coalition is always going to lead to serious dilemmas and you don’t solve them just by flouncing out.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Forget Europe. It’s a busted flush. We should be looking to trade with the growing economies – the “BRIC” nations. I find Allister to be as pursuasive as ever, this morning:

http://www.cityam.com/news-and-analysis/allister-heath/david-cameron-was-right-say-no

binners

But Woppit, that would require some kind of government support for business growth. And maybe the banks lending to business so they could target and expand into those markets. And we all know that neither of those things are going to happen under this shower

konabunny
    Free Member

Forget Europe. It’s a busted flush. We should be looking to trade with the growing economies – the “BRIC” nations.

Speaking as someone that used to facilitate trade with the B, R and C of BRIC, that’s easier said than done.

In any case, even after 20 years of reasonably consistent government support, high economic growth and relative geographic proximity to the rich bits, trade with Russia is nowhere near trade with Ireland or even Denmark for that matter: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/feb/24/uk-trade-exports-imports (OK, those figures are probably particularly bad year but it’s still generally true). You can’t suggest just shrugging and walking away from traditional European markets like it doesn’t matter any more.

TheFlyingOx

But Woppit, that would require some kind of government support for business growth. And maybe the banks lending to business so they could target and expand into those markets. And we all know that neither of those things are going to happen under this shower

Maybe because the banks are terrified of the UK capitulating to Europe and them thefore being on the hook for whatever financial legislation Germany deems fit to land on them to forward the advancement of the 4th Reich, on top of their current exposure.
    Take Europe out of the game, focus on the BRICs and I reckon things would look a little better.

binners

the 4th Reich?

Dear God! Which tabloid editorial did you garner that particular gem from? 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The situation in North Africa and the middle east may pay dividends in the future also, if liberal democracies take root and the markets open up.

Big “if”, though at least in the short term, although Libyan oil may provide some opportunities if they decide to play ball.

konabunny
    Free Member

Libyan oil may provide some opportunities if they decide to play ball.

The entire population of Libya is less than that of two regions of Poland, and GDP (PPP) per cap is 20% lower than in Poland.

Or, to put it another way, even if Libyan GDP grew 20% and all trade barriers were lowered to intra-EU levels, it would still be less important to UK trade than the arse end of Silesia.

TheFlyingOx

the 4th Reich?

Dear God! Which tabloid editorial did you garner that particular gem from?
    Hehe. ’tis a bit Daily Mail, eh?

Seriously though, can you honestly say that the creation of the EU hasn’t been overly advantageous to the German economy compared to other members? They seem to have reaped a metric assload of benefits through making their exports competetive in what was previously a difficult market for them, and are now looking around for help to clean up the mess created by the common currency/seperate fiscal policy disaster that is the Eurozone.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

The situation in North Africa and the middle east may pay dividends in the future also, if libeal democracies take root and the markets open up.

There is absolutely no chance of any “Liberal Democracies” taking root – its not what the west want and its not what is going to happen

MSP

…..if they decide to play ball.

LOL, and you accuse Germany of trying to take over Europe while coming out with such nasty nationalistic gems.

binners

There is absolutely no chance of any “Liberal Democracies” taking root

True Dat Uncle Jez. The law of unintended consequences looks like delivering us at least one new government of psychotic, wacko Islamo-nut-jobs though

Another Western intervention in the Middle East comes up trumps eh? OOPS!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Erm… Just thinking about where we can make some dosh, MSP. That a bad thing now? And, er, I didn’t accuse the Germans of anything. Have you had your coffee today, yet?

konabunny
    Free Member

can you honestly say that the creation of the EU hasn’t been overly advantageous to the German economy compared to other members?

…yes? no? what does “overly” mean? the creation of the EU or the creation of the Euro?

TheFlyingOx

…yes? no? what does “overly” mean? the creation of the EU or the creation of the Euro?

What do you think “overly” means? 😕

I mean the creation of the bit which meant that a) as a financial powerhouse in a group of countries that weren’t, German competitiveness against the rest of the world improved considerably due to the relatively poor performance of the other Eurozone members holding down the appreciation of the Euro against other currencies, and b) the leveling of the trade playing field within Europe as a result of the introduction of the Euro resulting in German products becoming much more financially viable to other European consumers than they were pre-Euro.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So to sum up – the only people that thisk this is a good idea are the eurosceptics?

A significant section of the Tory party think it stupid

Ken clark gave in an interview in which he described the veto as ‘disappointing, surprising’ and ‘a strange turn of events’.

Of course the Lib Dems are hopping mad.
    The labour party are making hay ( although they have their own split over Europe)
    The CBI know its stupid and has failed to do what Cameron claims. It will damage the UKs financial centres as banks like Deutsch bank will probably move from London to Frankfurt, the UK will no longer get inward investment from outside the EU as there will no longer be any advantage to companies to do so.

Stupid, shortsighted, damaging.

mcboo
    Free Member

Mcboo- Brown dodged nothing and there is nothing to have a referendum over here – we need a public vote cos an stupid prime minister beholden to a bunch of deluded xenophobes made a serious miscalculation in an EU negotiation and used a veto unnecessarily leaving us stuck 26:1 on the outside?

and

There is absolutely no chance of any “Liberal Democracies” taking root – its not what the west want and its not what is going to happen

Yet you wonder TJ why people get tired of your rants.

TheFlyingOx

It will damage the UKs financial centres

Much the same as how keeping out of the EU has decimated Switzerlands financial industry.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 569 total)

The topic ‘Cameron kicks EU in the nuts – right decision?’ is closed to new replies.