Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Camelbak/whatever or pockets ?
  • weeksy

Just wondering about peoples preference.

99% of rides i do jersey pockets, but i have a lot less summer based jerseys that are not too tight …. my jackets are all fine and pocket’d but too warm for summer.

So who wears what…. I very very rarely do the Camelbak and much prefer jersey and saddlebag.

rocketman
    Free Member

Rucksack for me. I have many bikes and the rucksack contains everything I need. also surprisingly good as a back protector

Yak

Pockets mostly, unless a long ride or I need to carry stuff for kids or other folk then it’s a medium riding pack.

stumpy01

Camelbak, mainly. It’s got all my tools etc. in it, so I can just pick it up & have all I need, I suppose.
    Off road I find loaded jersey pockets a bit to jingly jangly and saggy, while a saddle bag can get a bit rattly unless you stuff it with bubble wrap or something, which I’ve never bothered with.

On-road it’s a saddle bag & jersey pockets for keys/phone & perhaps some small change.

winston
    Free Member

Usually a rucksac as its fully loaded already and just needs water adding.
    Sometimes a framebag and a waterbottle
    As above, jersey pockets are fine for road but too bouncy for trail riding

Garry_Lager

Only ever a bag for large days out in the hills – jersey pockets, small saddle bag, and water bottle for all regular stuff. Don’t put metal tools in your back jersey pockets!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Up to 2 hours and local – bankcard and nowt else, mibbe a water bottle in the summer.

3 or 4 hours and local, I’ll take a bumbag.

Any more, or a day in the mountains, backpack.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Used to b a full camelbak for everything.

However, it’s now edc tool in the steerer, cash Stanley blade and co2 head in the bottom of the steerer held in with a fork cork. Sahmurai Swords in the ends of the bars and a tube and 2 x co2 in a dry bag under the saddle with a louri strap.

Small bontrager bum bag if I want to carry an extra bottle, sandwiches etc.

Surprised myself with just how much stuff I don’t need to carry.

legbacon
    Free Member

I have Specialized SWAT bibs with 3 good sized pockets on the back. These, and other bibs with storage pockets are the best solution I’ve found. I have not worn my pack in 3 years because my bibs comfortably carry 1 water bottle, phone, snacks and, a wind or rain jacket. On really hot days with a long ride I will carry a 2nd bottle which is empty by the time I reach the top of the network. All my riding shirts and jackets are big enough to make room for the kit in my pockets. On cold days I only carry 1 bottle in my pocket instead of the cage so it stays warm enough to drink.

joemmo
    Free Member

I have one of the original Camelbak Mules that are basically a bladder width with some minimal storage and it’s great for summer / shorter rides. For the latter I’ll just take a bottle . I don’t like riding with stuff in pockets anywhere
    For a long day or dodgy weather I have a newer, larger Mule which will carry spare clothes, tools, water and some scran.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Local rides/ bigger rides over 1.5hrs I take a pack and bladder.

Local rides under 1.5hrs, I use a water bottle and take a multi-tool in my pocket. Far easier in winter as I have a gilet/ jacket so more storage options, though have just ordered a small Wee Cog bag to store tools etc on my bike (as above I’m nervous about falling with objects in my pockets).

nedrapier

phone in 1 pocket, card and door key in the other.
    Longer rides: pump, tube and tool clipped/strapped to frame.
    even longer ride: frame bag with maybe layer, maybe camera, couple more spares, emergency bar or something.
    Long long rides: more bags, more kit as apporpriate

Akers

My current preferred solution is tool caddy and a tube on the bike, Camelbak Repack LR hip-pack carrying water, munchies, phone, keys and first aid.

fathomer

Depends on the size and location of ride but very rarely use a back pack these days. Either SWAT bib pockets or a fanny pack.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Never wear a backpack, can’t stand it. Even on big race days.

Bottle on the bike, have a couple of the Morvelo covert base jerseys which have pockets for storing things – & normal jersey over the top. Few bits on the bike, good to go.

Only time it hasn’t worked was in the EWS, when they make you wear a back protector. I have a tiny little Dakine stealth pack thing to go round my waist. If I need more fluid I use the squeezy bottles& stuff them in my pockets until i’m done.

tjagain

Summer and less than 4 hours – tiny saddle or frame pack, bottle on frame. Nothing in pockets Nothing on back. Longer than 4 hours – some food in pockets
    Winter – a couple of hours as above, longer / more remote and I might take a small backpack to put warm clothes in

svladcjelli
    Free Member

I have all my tools in a saddle bag so it moves from bike to bike. Anything over and above (dependent on weather and distance and stuff) go in bum bag and/or pockets.

alanw2007

Off-road, camelback almost always. I’ve got a small one (just room for a pump, multitool, tubeless repair kit, 1.5l bladder and a couple of energy bars) and a bigger one with space for a jacket, camera, sandwich etc for big days out.

However, on-road:

DezB
    Free Member

Camelbak. Used to it and wear a backpack everyday riding to work, so not bothered about carrying something on my back.

benp1

Depends. Through winter it’s often a rucksack so I can have a warm layer and a sit mat for a sit down in the peace and quiet. Can also take food for a snack (often don’t need to refuel, just greedy!)

For a lot of stuff a bumbag does just fine with a bottle in the frame. Usually use a montane Batpack 6. This is big enough to stick a waterproof in and a thin insulated gilet

Sometimes it’s whatever I used last as that’s what my kit is in and I can’t be bothered to repack

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Uswe pack small better to wear than anything I have owned before unless it’s really close to home.

linusr

Back pockets usually for day rides on- and off-road. Osprey Raptor 10 back pack for longer off-road rides if I’m carrying lunch and/or overnight YHA stuff. Also use back pack if I’m leading off-road ride so I can carry first aid kit. Use a saddlebag for short tours.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

This is my setup on my hardtail-One Water bottle,One tool/key bottle,Tube and pump all attached to bike.
    Packless

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate strapping stuff to my bike. I like a light bike because it handles better, so loading it back up again spoils that. Especially with a rigid bike – it doesn’t skip over bumps when it’s got bottles and a pack on it.

I’ve experimented many times in the past and I’ve come to the conclusion that a Camelbak really doesn’t bother me at all, so I use one for convenience. I may try again with a small saddle pack in the summer but then that means either buying another multi tool or swapping stuff over which is a pain.

On road, handling of bumps isn’t an issue so I go with jersey pockets for phone and keys, a saddlebag and frame pump.

cookeaa

For rides under three hours on the MTB I’ve got 2 cages and I’ve started using one of These for tools/keys/spares and a 1L water bottle in the other cage… Otherwise I strap various bags to the bike or use short/Jersey pockets… Not a fan of rucksacks any more…

roverpig

Pack, but have been contemplating that Camelback Chase Vest >>>>

Bottles off road always seemed bonkers to me. Partly because I don’t trust them to stay attached on sections where I’m worried about losing my fillings and partly because of the increased risk of ingesting some crap that makes me sick.

Once I’ve got water on my back I figure I might as well carry all the other stuff I need and it makes life easier just having to grab the pack and top up the water/snacks before heading out,

Kuco

Local or short rides swat bib shorts with a bottle in the cage. Long rides Osprey pack.

winston
    Free Member

What do those who don’t ride with packs do when you want to shed a layer of clothing – tie it round your waist? Or nip back to the car in the trail centre car park and pop it in the boot….

Kuco

Pretty simple really, dress according to the weather and wear/take a small pack down jacket if in doubt.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Same as Kuco,95% of my riding is from home so I just judge the weather .The setup on my bike was driven by it being a total ball ache in winter trying to empty clean and dry a camelbak after riding wet muddy conditions 3 times a week so I tried without and it’s worked brilliantly for me-so much so in summer I often grab this bike over my other one that has no bottle mounts and forces me to use my camelbak. I usually only use a light weight shell jacket and trousers throughout the winter months-if I get too warm (rare as it usually cold) I just take it off and stuff it in a pocket in rear of jersey-failing that stuff it up my jersey its only small and light.

winston
    Free Member

I dress according to the weather – on Sunday it was 0 degrees when I left home at 7.30 am and 15 degrees when I got back at 2pm! It would be some pretty special clothing that could cope with that without stripping off a layer or 2. Also what if rain is forecast later but its nice as you leave – you want a jacket somewhere surely. I just find stuff fixed to the bike and not in a bag gets covered in shite and gear stuffed into rear pockets is more of a PITA than a well designed pack

Problem with a pack is it does encourage you to take too much so it is better to have a couple of sizes for different rides

molgrips
    Free Member

The setup on my bike was driven by it being a total ball ache in winter trying to empty clean and dry a camelbak after riding wet muddy conditions 3 times a week

Eh? I just leave mine! Doesn’t need emptying and cleaning! I might swill the bladder out.

four
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few approaches on long days out with a top tube bag, small saddle pack, water bottle and jersey pockets – realistically if I’m now going take my pack – this one:

https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/200351-osprey-viper-9-hydration-pack-black.html/668314/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&istCompanyId=b238823a-59fd-4816-9c36-7dd47877f2a8&istItemId=xrrpwitwww&istBid=tztx&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx66Yy77a4AIVibTtCh0FqAs2EAQYBCABEgKR6PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If I’m doing a trail centre like QECP I use a top tube bag and a bottle or I take my pack.

For road I have a micro saddle pack and jersey pockets.

legbacon
    Free Member

Any layer I’m going to take off will fit in my bib pockets. 4 hour rides, no problem.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Been using EVOC pack come long or short rides, summer or winter. I just find myself needing more water than just a bottle for my usual 2 hour rides.

I always keep my small tool kit and something to eat in the pack in case of emergencies. Its quite slimline too. Just wash the bladder out after each ride and pop it in the freezer.

Kuco

Winston, maybe you need to buy some better bike specific clothing such as arm warmers that you can take off when it warms up and slip into a jersey pocket, a lightweight rain jacket that packs down small or a base layer you can slip off. But sounds like to me you prefer a pack and taking the kitchen sink with you.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Guess I drink too much when riding. During a hot 2 hour ride up and down the hills I go through my 2L pack!

winston
    Free Member

@jayx2a you need to take a leaf out of Kuco’s book..he just takes 2 water purification tablets tucked inside his sock and a water divining rod ziptied to the down tube

jayx2a
    Free Member

To be honest my overall water intake has not been up to par but now I’m on a health kick and making sure I’m fully hydrated through the day.

It will be interesting if this changes how much water I will need on rides. I would much rather take a bottle sometimes, especially when it gets a bit hotter!

Need to see what size bottle will fit in the frame.

craig24
    Free Member

Fork cork bodge for the tight-fisted among us –

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak/whatever or pockets ?’ is closed to new replies.