Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Cambodia – advice needed
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Trying to sort out a trip for end of Oct/start of Nov. I’d don’t have as much time as I would like. I’m leaving Fri 24 Oct and need to be back Mon 10 Nov.

Planning to fly into HCMC and spend a couple of nights visiting friends.

Then want to head into Cambodia. Can anyone provide any help with itinerary?

I’m thinking of flying into Siem Reap from HCMC and spending 4 days there.

Then fly to Phnom Penh and spending 4 days there.

Followed by a taxi down to Ha Tien and catch the fast boat over to Phu Quoc (was there last year, keen to return and seems to provide easy route back into Vietnam). Spend a few days on Phu Quoc before flying back to HCMC and then home.

I could swap Phu Quoc with a Cambodian island like Koh Rong, but could be a bit tight time wise.

That only gives me 8 days in Cambodia, so seems sensible that I see SR and PP? Flying between locations seems preferable since it gives me more time in each place, but if there are any over land/water trips that are worth doing I’d prefer that to move between locations – however I’ve heard that movement by road is a bit rough.

I like the idea of heading up the Mekong delta from HCMC to PP. Should take 2 or 3 days…has anyone done that?

Also…any tips or advice generally on Cambodia would be appreciated!

🙂

wl
    Free Member

Defo recommend you see Angkor, so a trip to SR is probably best for this. PP is a great city – we enjoyed it, so worth a couple of days at least. Mekong Delta was amazing 15 years ago and I’m guessing it’s more touristy now but still a cool place to visit, so defo recommend you try to fit in a trip. My general tip for all of SE Asia is try to get off the beaten track if you can, even if it’s just for a day or an overnight somewhere off the well-trodden routes. The people are great, and the real holiday gems are often those experiences you have away from the crowds, even if it’s just exploring a little-known part of a city. Fantastic part of the world – have a great trip.

BenjiM

A mate of mine runs a travel blog for that neck of the woods, perhaps have a look here –

http://www.ibackpackertravel.com/

bails
    peterfile
    Free Member

Thanks for the links guys.

wl, definitely agree about getting off the beaten trail. Spent just shy of a month in vietnam last year and each time we arrived somewhere new we bought or hired scooters/motorbikes (other than in HCMC and Hanoi) and just got lost for a couple of days. Some of the best parts of the trip were ending up in backwater villages at sunset highfiving a load of kids who wondered who the white dudes were outside their houses. Someone even made us dinner while another fixed my bike (headlight had gone and we had a 2 hour ride back to the hotel in the dark, on dubious “roads” through jungle), before ensuring we’d had enough beer before getting back on the bikes :).

I gather getting bikes in SR is a no go, but PP seems fair game. Would quite like to get a guide and head into the hills from PP.

marmaduke
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Siem Reap – yes you can spend 4 days there. Town is a bit touristy as you’d expect but worth looking round. For the temples I would highly recommend hiring a guide as otherwise its easy to get “templed out” and there is much you will miss / won’t understand. We went the route of guide and private (air conditioned car) as the temples are spread out over large area and the heat/humidity does sap you. You can do a tuk-tuk version. There is a 3-day ticket for the temples. We did he classic sunrise tourist thing and took a trip out to the red temple and stopped at land mine museum. We also stayed in a nice hotel (Victoria Resorts who we sued in Vietnam) but there are lots of options. It is worth trying to work out how to go at times with less tourists as it’s better when it’s quiet.

You are right in that exploring is the way to go, please do not venture off the beaten track too much as unexploded landmines are still a major issue.

cubist
    Free Member

A trip to Cambodia with the OP’s user name sounds a bit fishy to me! 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I know nothing about Cambodia apart from I saw this pic last month, and it looks lush.

-Sauce

peterfile
    Free Member

We also stayed in a nice hotel (Victoria Resorts who we sued in Vietnam)

You sound like a dream guest 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

Just remebered something from jambalaya’s post. When I was there I went to see sunrise at Ankor Wat (it’s very touristy but pretty impressive) but unlike the other 5000 people that were there we didn’t go back to the hotel for breakfast, we stayed at the temple and had some breakfast there from a local vendor. Nothing special just bread, jam, cheese, instant coffee but for two hours after that there were maybe a dozen people at the temple so we got to see everything in a really relaxed way and take some fantastic photos. We then hooked up with a guide later that day and had a proper tour.

wl
    Free Member

Yep – bikes or motorbikes are the best route to a more satisfying/adventurous trip, IMO.
    And I forgot to say, try eating the fried crickets – they’re good with a beer – like ready-salted crisps. I drew the line at the deep-fried tarantulas though.

c_klein87

there is not much in Phnom Penh, islands in the south would be better use of 4 days, we got bored within a few days. Siem reap is mega, favourite place out of places I visited in Thailand, Cambodia & vietnam

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Jamie the ride fields are an amazing green, they seem to be unlike anything I saw elsewhere in Asia.

@gonefishing has a top tip there for crowd avoidance. For sunrise I would also add we paid something like a $1 for a seat by the side of the lake with a coffee, get’s you in prime position and no one can get in front of you.

peterfile
    Free Member

there is not much in Phnom Penh, islands in the south would be better use of 4 days, we got bored within a few days. Siem reap is mega, favourite place out of places I visited in Thailand, Cambodia & vietnam

Would you say a couple of days/nights would be enough? If so, it would be pretty useful because it would free up a couple of days for a motorbike tour before heading south.

Has anyone been to Sihanoukville? It doesn’t sound too appealing but would open up the islands. Do you think the ride from PP would be treacherous on a motorbike? To be honest, I’m minded to head back over to Phu Quoc anyway since it fits in nicely travel wise.

Siem reap is mega, favourite place out of places I visited in Thailand, Cambodia & vietnam

This is good news 🙂 I’ve wanted to visit for quite some time now….

c_klein87

2 Days would be plenty, can’t remember what we did there, bamboo railway I think. I didn’t make it to Sihanoukville.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I made it there but it was only two nights and it was ten years ago. I quite enjoyed it but it was off season so was pretty quiet and we did a trip out to an island so we didn’t spend much time there. Great seafood.

In PP one place that I recommend is S-21. It won’t be a fun visit but very informative and the closest place I’ve ever seen to the Ministry of Love.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

spent three weeks there on my honeymoon. best holiday I’ve ever had.

Looking at your itinary I’d reduce the time in Phonm to a couple of days/couple of nights and extend Siem Reap and the beach by a day.

Transport down from Siem Reap is by road and will take a half day and you’ll be tired as the roads are slow and rough in places. Something to do with them being built by the Chinese and only tarmacced to where they wanted them to go. Siem Reap itself is great, lots aside from Angkor to do and see. Hire a mountain bike and a guide and get out of the town. Explore some of the smaller temples, hit the markets, get yer feet chewed by fish, see the living temples, theres lots to kill time with.

EDIT: cambodia air run small flights down to the beach but they only run at certain times of year and are small, you may be sitting with chickens, but if they run might be worth it for the time you’d save.

grahamg
    Free Member

Did an organised cycle tour there last year. Sihanoukville is definitely best missed, modern, resorty, backpacker type place (probably THE place for travellers to enjoy a cheap hotel, beach and get laid outside the confines of a hostel). The sea is too filthy to entertain going in too.
    My pick is Kampot if you’re considering heading to the south – beautiful little town, very quiet/chilled old French colonial town. Really would be a fantastic finish to a holiday if you started in Siem Reap (most tourist bustle), then on to Phnom Penh for a bit more city tourism (2-3 days is easily enough I reckon), and then Kampot would be the final chill out in a nice hotel, get (legit) massages, OD on sea food…

peterfile
    Free Member

Ooooh Kampot would work wonderfully!

HCMC for 2 nights (then fly to Siem Reap)
    Siem Reap for 4 nights (then fly to PP)
    PP for 2 nights (then taxi to Kampot)
    Kampot for 3 nights (then taxi and speedboat to Phu Quoc)
    Phu Quoc for 3 nights (then fly to HCMC)

How does that look? Looks pretty well balanced to me!

mudmuncher

Was there exactly 10 years ago. +1 for Angkor Wat, actually some of the smaller more overgrown temples are more atmospheric. Go for a tuk-tuk guide at Angkor over an aircon taxi, they are slower and allow you to take in the sights, smells etc. rather than wizzing round in a car. I’m sure you could also hire bikes there too. Make sure you visit the tuol sleng museum and killing fields when you are in PP

butcher

I quite enjoyed Phnom Penh. Maybe partly because Cambodians walk to their own beat and it’s fascinating wherever you are. But maybe it was something to do with the guest house we stayed in too, down some ropey back street. It was built over the lake, and it was the most chilled out place on a night. The feint sound of music bouncing across the lake from the other side, amidst the nightly lightening storms. I loved it.

Definitely go to S21. It’s macabre. Pretty sickening really. But it’s Cambodia and it’s a massive part of their history. Never went to the Killing Fields myself…was ill that day.

Siem Reap is awesome. If you like creepy crawlies! I swear they have bugs nearly the size of people. Obviously Angkor Watt is a must see. Worth visiting one of the floating villages there too.

If you do hire a vehicle of any kind, be very, very careful. In Cambodia, there appears to be no rules on the road… Aside from one. If there’s traffic in front of you, dodge it.

peterfile
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys. Flights are now booked and current itinerary is looking like this:

Fly to HCMC for 2 nights to catch up with some friends.
    Fly to Siem Reap for 4 nights.
    Boat down to Battambang for 2 nights
    Overland to Phnom Penh for 1 night
    Overland to Kampot for 2 nights
    Overland to Vietnamese border at Ha Tien then boat to Phu Quoc for 3 nights
    Fly back into HCMC

Anyone in the know have any thoughts? Has anyone tried to get across the border at Ha Tien? I’m just trying to work out timings and how much time to leave for getting through (seems a few hours might be best to be on the safe side).

I’m going to need a multiple entry visa for Vietnam, which is a pain because it’s now over £100. Apparently Ha Tien was pretty relaxed in the past, but is now the same as all other border crossings and no VOA is available.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m going to need a multiple entry visa for Vietnam, which is a pain because it’s now over £100.

Blimey it used to be $25 a visit ! At the major airports you can get a visa on entry (with a supporting letter from your hotel) but it will be easier to have one in advance, depends how easy it is to come to London. When we did them it took two separate visits and its not open all day. I think these days there are plenty of backpackers and business travelers so border crossings should not be an issue.

ransos
    Free Member

Re the temples at Angkor. We hired bikes to visit the temples near Siem Reap, and a Tuk-tuk for the day to get to the ones further out. You negotiate an all-day rate with a driver and they’ll wait for you when you’re looking round. Cycling is much nicer than being on a guided tour – the moment we saw a large crowd we headed in the opposite direction, so we mostly had the temples to ourselves.

Cycling on Cambodian roads was a little hairy, but not quite as bad as you might imagine. It was stupidly hot though – we had booked a B&B with a swimming pool, and enjoyed the chance to cool off. Make sure you start early so you can be finished when the day really warms up.

Oh and S21/ Killing Fields are a must if you want to understand anything at all about the country.

peterfile
    Free Member

thanks for the tips ransos.

Blimey it used to be $25 a visit ! At the major airports you can get a visa on entry (with a supporting letter from your hotel) but it will be easier to have one in advance, depends how easy it is to come to London. When we did them it took two separate visits and its not open all day. I think these days there are plenty of backpackers and business travelers so border crossings should not be an issue.

You can’t get a visa at Ha Tien, I’d already need to be in possession of a multiple entry visa or I wouldn’t be able to get back into Vietnam at that point.

I just sent mine off the embassy last year and they returned it in 4 days which I thought was pretty good! Glad I did, the queue at HCMC for VOA was easily 200+ people long.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Don’t forget to check the seasonal level of the water before going on the boat ride… Even if the water is really low you the trip will take place you will just get stuck a lot and it will take forever.
    Watch out for exit taxes from the airports as these bite if you don’t think of them.
    Oh and if you are going to eat the street food be prepared for the consequences! It won’t get you all the time but will in the end…

cornholio98
    Free Member

If you need a new visa to Vietnam you can just drop off your passport at the embassy in PP in the morning if you are doing S21/Killing Fields and collect it later. If you are in a real rush you can give it to the guard outside with a fist full of dollars and get any visa you want…

peterfile
    Free Member

Is street food in Cambodia particularly bad? I’d heard the opposite? Or do you just mean asian street food is risky in general?

cornholio98
    Free Member

The street food is good and I ate a lot of it. Street food in general is probably considered risky. I only had one emergency in three months of south east asia and it happened a day before Angkor Wat. If you expect to spend a day walking round temples it is not a concern you want to have. Mind you by the time I went to bed I don’t think there was even air left inside me so the next day was fine!

peterfile
    Free Member

Aye, I’m happy eating street food (with a sensible dose of common sense though!), just worried for a moment there that you meant Cambodian in particular was a no no!

Had one similar experience that began on a 4 hour bus ride 🙁 The bus had a toilet (well a dark, stinking cupboard I could poo in), so small mercies and all that.

mrl

stay at mango bay in phi quoc. our favourite place for weekend trip when we lived in hcmc. 3 days of temples is enough in, we had the same tuk tuk driver for the stay and he waited for us. even did the sunset and sunrise trips

peterfile
    Free Member

Ha! We stayed at Mango Bay and La Veranda last year! 🙂

Agreed, great place. La Veranda is incredible too.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Stayed in the Du Hung Hotel 2 in Ha Tien just before Christmas – very reasonably priced, and perfectly OK for an overnight stop.

stretchy72
    Free Member

I’m literally just off of the plane from Siem Reap having taken my kids to visit, some 15 years after my last trip there.

Given the time you’ve got around Angkor, I’d strongly recommend making the effort to get out to Beng Mealea. Same footprint as Angkor Wat, but under the influence of the jungle. Great spot. Hire one of the local “guides” for US$2 and they’ll take you scrambling through the ruins, rather than following the wooden walkway. Was the highlight of my kids holiday!

WildHunter2009

I would agree with cutting down the time you spend in PP and extra time in SR. The Angkor site is ruddy enormous and totally worth all the time you can spend. I never made it out to Bang melea but from what I have read you should. Also Kbal Spean is a jungle stream full of carvings, worth a trip and Bantey Srei, one of the further out temples has some of the best carvings you will see.

peterfile
    Free Member

I would agree with cutting down the time you spend in PP and extra time in SR.

I’m up to 4 nights/5 days in Siem Reap and 1 night/1.5 days in PP…does that seem like a reasonable balance?

stretchy72
    Free Member

I’d say so. We had 3 full days in Siem Reap and saw most, if not all, of what we wanted to. Of course with the kids in tow I was probably a little quicker around things than I might have been by myself; didn’t want them to suffer from temple burnout!

jockthestore
    Free Member

Fully agree getting off beaten track is the way to go. Cycled through it last year and found the people wonderfully welcoming and warm, especially so in remote areas. Worth getting boat from Siam Reap – Battambang takes you past river communities living on house boats.

WildHunter2009

That sounds pretty good to be honest. When your in PP go to the foreign correspondents club (Pub/bar) for a sundowner overlooking the river. Get some pretty stoking sunsets if your lucky.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Cambodia – advice needed’ is closed to new replies.