Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Calling woodworking furniture makers.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I am looking for anyone who, or knows anyone who, would be interested in knocking up a coffee table in a similar style to this one.
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=1752326 (I know, it’s horrible, isn’t it?).
    When I say similar to this I mean size and drawers. If you have a website catalogue to look at, all the better, or find my email in profile.
    Cheers.

br
    Free Member

What is it about the linked one you don’t like?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I hope you dont think it will be done cheaper, the materials alone probably £50-£70.

Probably £250-£350 to make. Unless its made in far east.

donsimon
    Free Member

I hope you dont think it will be done cheaper, the materials alone probably £50-£70.

No, but hopefully better looking.
    If the materials are 50-70, what labour am I looking at? I imagine the bicycle mechanic packet of biscuits is too low an offer.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Looks pefectly ok to me for a £100 peice of furniture.

What is it about that design you dont like.

I wonder how the drawers are made, there could be 3 hours work just making them and 4 for the main unit. If you want turned legs then add another 4 hrs min.

Making custom furniture is not cheap and pointless if you can find something off the shelf that you like.

Pieface

If you’re after something special

http://www.edurofurniture.co.uk/

donsimon
    Free Member

So you can’t do what I asked for then?

tails
    Free Member

I like the homebase one and I used to design furniture. You could contact a university as the students are often very good and will be happy to work on a real project. They have access to a machine shop and timber store. Turned legs can be done on a CNC lathe now so don’t cost too much. I’ll email my friend to see if she is interested.

tails
    Free Member

Where do you live? My friend is in High Wycombe.

Alpha1653

A mate of mine is a furniture maker down in Cornwall and he might be able to knock you up something custom if you’re interested. He uses local Cornish oak and although I have to say this as he’s my mate, his work is absolutely amazing. Plus he’s a biker if that makes any difference!

Have a look at his website: http://www.alternature.biz/products.html

And no, I’m not getting a commission!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

don simon – Member

So you can’t do what I asked for then?

I have no idea what you have asked for, better looking means nothing!

Im sure i could whittle somthing up for £1000.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ll email my friend to see if she is interested.

That’d be cool, thanks. I’m in Wrecsam but don’t worry, if I like their work the travelling to collect won’t be an issue.

And no, I’m not getting a commission!

Don’t you only get commission if I buy? 😉
    To repeat the brief, I’m only looking for a coffee table with drawers, I’m not looking to have the Homebase one replicated on the cheap, I’m looking for a similar layout and size. If you make it out of matchsticks, it has two drawers and I like it, I’ll but it. I apologise if my original question was not clear.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

So its to be the same size as the homebase one have drawers like the home base one and you will be happy with one made from matchsticks but not from Oak like the homebase one. Well that clears it up then!!!

Client briefs got to love them!!!

Go to Ikea. Or buy the homebase one and glue matchsticks all over it.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Steve, you’re too kind

kayak23

I’m a furniture maker and teach it too. I could make you something I’m sure. …

iDave
    Free Member

A bloke I know could do it but it would be half a grand and you wouldn’t want a mug of coffee going near it….

br
    Free Member

Buy the Homebase one and change its colour and/or handles?

Or try your local Pine shop, ours are able to get semi-custom stuff made using their current designs – but nothing custom is cheap.

tbh I make stuff out of MDF and then paint it – acceptable quality and very easy to work with, for a total self-taught.

vinnyeh

note, that’s veneer

You’ll be paying a lot more than that for something made out of real wood. Best give an indication of what your budget and material choke is. See idave’s comment up there^^^

Alpha1653

Don’t you only get commission if I buy?

I’d love to get a referral commission but he’s a mate and I wouldn’t even think of asking for one for sending some business his way!!

When I say he could knock you up something custom, I mean that he’s not got any fixed designs but you say what you want, and he’ll make it.

donsimon
    Free Member

My apologies stevewhyte perhaps you’d like to tell me what
    I am looking for. you seem to know far more than me.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Your welcome.

donsimon
    Free Member

My welcome what?
    “your” = possesive adjective defining that something belongs to me.
    “you are” = second person singular form of the verb to be.
    “welcome” = adjective usually preceded with the vrb to be.
    Correct statement you wanted to say was “you are welcome” an acceptable contraction would have been “you’re welcome”.
    HTH
    (I also give classes in customer service techniques). 😉

Neil-F
    Free Member

Can’t you make it yourself? I’ve made my own coffee tables, consoles, TV units, bedroom furniture etc etc….. I get great satisfaction making them myself than I would paying a small fortune for someone else to do it. Failing that, a decent furniture store will have something you’d like surely? 😕

cbrsyd
    Free Member

If the materials are 50-70, what labour am I looking at? I imagine the bicycle mechanic packet of biscuits is too low an offer.

Did a woodworking foundation degree a few years back that included a module on costing your work. We all had to cost up a small table and drawers. That included allowing time for getting the materials, planing them square, marking, cutting joints, assembly , finishing and delivery. Nobody came out with a figure of less than £1000 and the lecturer (who is a well know furniture maker) said he had not made a table for less than £2000 in the last 10 years!

brakes
    Free Member

you sound like you’d be a bad customer, so I’m oot

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Nail on head brakes.

Some people are worth doing business with, others most certainly are not.

donsimon
    Free Member

Perfect. I can live without having to give my money to amateurs who can’t do the simplest thing to win a customer over. got to love the attitude.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

My dad may be able to help. his work is sold here, charges about £20/hr plus materials

http://folksy.com/shops/3rdesign

donsimon
    Free Member

That looks just the stuff cruzheckler, details have been passed on. Even I could be interested in something. Thanks.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I wanted a tv unit making as I couldn’t find anything I liked that was the size I was after. In he end I found a style online I liked, then drew up one using google sketch up to my exact shelf widths and got a local place to make it – 1.5 metres wide with two cupboards and and draw in oak – 400 quid

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Calling woodworking furniture makers.’ is closed to new replies.