Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Calling Surly Pugsley Owners! fess up I want to know what you think?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I am intrigued, had a go on one a few years back and am still hankering after one.

work cyclescheme is waving it's cash at me and I think I may indulge.

Will use as a daily commuter (off road). so do you love it? or is it just too faddy and draggy and a pain?

cheers!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am intrigued by the idea that your daily commuter will be an Iditabike expedition snow-field racing thingy. 😀

Bet it's a total PITA. They look awesome though.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

got to get ready for winter! 😉

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

No Puglsey owners at all?!

paul78
    Free Member

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164

Plenty to look at in that forum.. a few Uk users too. In rpocess of trying to build a fat bike but can't use a pugsley frame due to conflicting interests.

sheldona
    Free Member

I'm eyeing up a phat rim to build up to run on my SS, just for the fun of it. I did have a go on a Pugsley 2 years back and it was fun, not sure if I'd want a daily commute on it though.

wheelz
    Free Member

They can't be that impractical, as I saw a guy doing the recent Ruthin Merida Marathon on one! Not sure how hard he found pedalling it compared to the more normal mountain bikes.

mAx_hEadSet

I saw a guy doing the recent Ruthin Merida Marathon on one

you mean him

Hairychested
    Free Member

My mate is getting one for his trip to Iceland. Nice bike, but as a commuter?

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I saw someone on one at Afan a few months ago. I do not lie.

wheelz
    Free Member

you mean him…

That's the man. Mind you, he looks like he's struggling a bit there. Was that just before the feed station? If so, I know why he was struggling.

shaggy

I have one. It's not as draggy as you'd think but unless the trails you regularly ride are really loose (like sand or snow) I wouldn't want to use it as a commute bike. There are better fun bikes for day to day riding. It is great for silly conditions though.

I do love it. I'm lending it to someone to take out to the Iditarod Trail Invitational. I'll miss it.

Faddy? No. Nicheie?! yes!

daveells
    Free Member

I had one and it was a blast,but for commuting it could be costly .Tubes are about a tenner and tyres will set you back £70 each, so no skidding!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I saw one on the Embankment in London just the other day. Perfect terrain for it….

coastkid
    Free Member

missed this one,i own one,there not that expensive to run!,tubes are regular 2.5s and tyres do 2000 miles easy,mines at 1600miles,if you opt for one consider a set of 29er offset wheels for comutting,though id say its faster than a full suss bike on tarmac,the pic above is my mate andy and he aint struggling!,trust me there,oh id advise using a phil wood BB if riding sand or the surly cranks as the 100mm truvantiv BBs dont last long,if you need any info PM me,
    oh they float too… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVeI5s75lU

trail_rat
    Free Member

,though id say its faster than a full suss bike on tarmac

so a bike with exponentially more drag from large volume tires with a monsterous foot print and on a heavy bike goes faster than a full sus on tarmac – what full sus did you compare it too a karpiel armeggedon with 3 inch gazzaloddis?

coastkid
    Free Member

,though id say its faster than a full suss bike on tarmac

[/quote]so a bike with exponentially more drag from large volume tires with a monsterous foot print and on a heavy bike goes faster than a full sus on tarmac – what full sus did you compare it too a karpiel armeggedon with 3 inch gazzaloddis?

yeah thats the one..lol,no seriously i managed fine around the roads of harris with mine,have you rode one?

trail_rat
    Free Member

no but you cannot deny the laws of physics with a surly badge

fwiw i can ride the sand of the local beaches no bother on my 29er doesnt mean its good at it

i still fail to see how you can make such a sweeping statement as "this bike is better than full sussers on the road"

eg i bet njees specialized is a hellovalot easier on the road

Smee
    Free Member

Me me me me. Get a proper bike with proper tyres loser. 😉

coastkid
    Free Member

ok there are alot of light full sussers out there but id say its easier than a heckler i recently sold,it had single ply 60a minions though that proberly didnt help on tarmac,maybe i should of said compared to say a 6" full susser then!,one thing though you do kinda grin alot riding it 😀
    gets tiring folk askin what it is!

snowslave

Saw this one at the Passportes De Soleil bike show in Morzine. Although it looks well ard, I'd think it a bit odd as a commuter unless you are a sheikh living in the desert. Might as well get one of those comedy cruiser bikes?

coastkid
    Free Member

goan what are you on about?,im on here to answer a question for the OP,im light enough thanks lol

Smee
    Free Member

I'm on about the ridiculous warning email I received for my post above. One of the mods has been drinking too much coffee or something…

coastkid
    Free Member

dont blame me dude, but hey you called me a loser! but i dont bite,sticks and stones and all that,ride out around inners?,if im not working i may turn up 🙂 -not on the pugsley though!

Smee
    Free Member

You see the 😉 , it is meant to change the tone of the post to a jokey one. I dont care what bike people ride as long as they enjoy it – it's all bikes and bikes is better than no bikes, regardless of how silly they look.

coastkid
    Free Member

no probs dude 🙂 yep bikes are bikes are bikes- one less car as the sticker says

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Calling Surly Pugsley Owners! fess up I want to know what you think?’ is closed to new replies.