Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Calibre Dune has died – what Fatty next ?
  • Splash-man
    Free Member

@ Jeff – yes the 2017 WoZo is looking good value at the moment unless I can find a frame only deal with the right dimensions to swap components over with.

The WoZo keeps appearing in my advert feed just to remind me…….

jeff

one’s coming my way at the mo 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

i found the Wozo very old school XC geometry when i tried one, which maybe exactly what you want, be perfect for long tours/bikepacking. for smashing singletrack and trails not so much fun

Splash-man
    Free Member

The newer Wozo is supposed to have shorter chainstays, more trail friendly so unwilling in interested to hear feedback from jeff

rOcKeTdOg

Cool

Splash-man
    Free Member

Rocketdog – which model year did you try ?

burko73

Psa -there’s a calibre dune in go outdoors in Southampton for £480 at the mo. It was used once but returned as the bottom bracket needed replacing so it comes with a new bb.

I don’t work there, just noticed it recently.

Looked like a medium.

robcolliver
    Free Member

OK, so its at a different point on the pricing spectrum, but this Canadian bike is awesome – if I was forced into having ONE bike and one bike only, it would be this. I would have to sacrifice two Tallboys (one LT and one xc) etc just for the amount of fun this gives!
    http://www.kermodebikes.com/

Splash-man
    Free Member

@robcolliver – nice looking bike that, not sure about the name but I chuckled to see it comes with the same tyres as the Dune.

Hoping to swing my leg over a Surly ICT this week and see what they feel like.

sweepy
    Free Member

How can you tell? I couldn’t find a pic of the whole bike.
    What are they trying to hide 🙂

mucker

Looking for some fat bike guidance.
    To be used for Scottish trail centre’s, natural local stuff including the Pentlands.
    Thinking that at about 5’7″ a small in either a Surly Ice Cream Truck (with or without Blutos) or a Cannon sale Fat Caad 1.
    Interested in qualified opinions.

NormalMan

Speak to Roverpig from this parish.

He has both an ICT and Canyon Dude and had them rigid and Bluto equipped.

He should be able to give expert, unbiased opinion. Whereas my reply would always be ‘get the Surly’ 😆

roverpig

No experience of the Casd though. You need Sanny for that! I’ll type more later though.

NormalMan

Sorry. I read Cannon as Canyon.
    Then thought of 3 bikes!

mucker

My bad, should have been Cannondale Fat Caad 1, comes with the Cannondale Lefty Olaf fat fork.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Sweepy, you are right – I’d not noticed that (but I got mine straight from the company so didn’t study the website).
    Kermode may be a funny name over here, but in Canada it is a semi-mythical white bear, found in the coastal rainforest zone of British Columbia.

ontor
    Free Member

Kona wo is ace. Just spent the last few days throwing mine at Dartmoor. In my opinion sus forks are pointless when you have the pressure right on a 5 inch tyre…

robcolliver
    Free Member

null

robcolliver
    Free Member

well, that didn’t work….. can’t remember how to post a picture of my bike.

robcolliver
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg

Thinking that at about 5’7″ a small in either a Surly Ice Cream Truck (with or without Blutos) or a Cannon sale Fat Caad 1.

cannondale will be massively lighter if you can find one, not sure CSG are importing the fatcaad this year although there are some 2017 bargains about as they got rid of their stock to dealers over the past couple of months

Splash-man
    Free Member

Ontor – which year is your Work ?
    The 2018 model looks good value.

ontor
    Free Member

Mines the 2016 version. It’s not the geometry you might think is right but it’s a real blast- and quick enough.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Really need to test ride a few bikes I think.

I need to get my fat bike grin back.

lunar
    Free Member

For Kona Wozo money you should look at the Cube Nutrail Pro. You can pick them up for £1400 new. Just bought one a few months back; its grin inducing and with the bluto out front you can smash the trails. Super quick and easy to set up tubeless.

roverpig

As I said, I can’t compare the ICT with a Caad, but I can compare it with another, lighter, “better” fatbike in the Dude and make a few comments about the Bluto.

I bought the ICT around 18 months ago. Rode it for a year (mainly rigid and a bit with the Bluto) and loved it. It’s just a big lump of fun. No getting away from the fact that it’s a heavy old lump though. Around 35lb with tubeless jumbo jim 4.8 tyres. Probably 36lb with the Bluto and god knows what with the Bud/Lou winter tyres on (never weighed it in either configuration). I must admit I never really notice the weight when riding. I can still get up climbs that I can’t on other bikes, just because of the traction. How fast I am really depends on my fitness and how much effort I’m prepared to put in. Both of those vary far more day to day than the few percent extra in total weight. Still, I certainly notice the weight when lifting it onto the roof rack or carrying it for any distance. So, this year I “upgraded” to the Dude.

The Dude is a better bike in all respects. Lighter, stiffer, faster etc. But for some reason I still haven’t sold the Truck!

It’s worth pointing out that I bought a Smuggler to replace my old 26″ Five. The Smuggler was also better than the Five in every respect. But after a year I sold the Smuggler and went back to the Five as it was simply more fun. I’m not at that stage with the the Dude and the ICT. I still think the only sensible thing to do is sell the ICT, but I’ve not listed it yet and I just went on holiday for a week and elected to take the ICT. I tell myself that’s because it was setup rigid and I was on a Hebridean island where the only riding option was beach. So I was just saving the Dude from the ravages of the sea. Well that’s my story anyway.

As for Bluto or not: that’s an easier decision. If you are going to use a fatbike as a trail bike and as your main (or only) bike, then get a suspension fork. It allows you to g faster over rough ground. OK if you don’t want to go fast over rough ground that’s fine, bit not being able to can get a bit annoying in my experience. If the fatbike is just something different to your normal bike then rigid probably makes it more different.

Splash-man
    Free Member

@roverpig – thanks for the feedback. Just the sort of insight I was after.
    I’m torn over the Bluto as there are some deals to be had with them on but then again I rarely missed them on the Dune other than really fast lumpy descents where I could have my hands bounced off the bars.
    My concerned about speed as my riding mates struggle to keep up on the rough stuff regardless of what I ride.
    However, having had 2 back operations the Bluto might provide some extra protection for me.
    Decisions aren’t getting any easier !

Great pic btw, looks a lovely place o get away from it all.

cynic-al
    Free Member

L and XL Charge fat frames £79 on ebay

Offset 135mm rear end tho, straight steerer

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Calibre Dune has died – what Fatty next ?’ is closed to new replies.