Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Friday C&B!
  • Alex

That one posted by Torminalis looks just like my old Maths teacher. That’s properly disturbing.

And that old saying “you can’t have your cake and eat it” *looks at plate with just a few crumbs on it* that’s not true 🙂

Alex

Double post. Possibly due to sugar overload.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I think the saying means ‘you cannot retain your cake and consume it as well’.

You have clearly not retained your cake!

z1ppy

needed a recipe to use up some yolks, found this and oh dear it was almost pure sugar… what a rush

http://www.joyofbaking.com/YellowButterCake.html

ps: fairy cakes topped with battenburg slices look fantastic, what an opener

Kevevs
    Free Member

you dirrrty dirty cakes! *rubs thighs*

peasnotwar
    Free Member

This thread is brilliant! Only today my other half said i “wanted my cake and eat it” toooooo right!
    Oh dear god I’ve just had a Sophie’s choice moment….. Kylie or cake?

…. sits back and waits for the “down with this sort of thing” trolls!

nicko74

The recipe I have is from Nigella Lawson’s Feast. It generally goes, melt lots of butter, stir in lots of sugar, add plenty of chocolate, a bottle of Guinness and cook. It’s a seriously gooey yummy heart attack in a wedge.

mmmm…. Nigel Lawson’s feast…

My old boss made a mean Guinness Cake, with white buttercream icing on top. The best thing she ever did for me, I think.

donsimon
    Free Member

I do feel I have to complain, I’m on a diet and avoiding sugary foods. The title of this thread is not clear regarding the content. Clearly I’ve had to look at both pages as leaving the thread was not an option.
    Please stop posting pictures of cake, I will keep popping back throughout the evening to reiterate my disgust and have a quick look at the pictures.
    ps. Anyone got the phone number of the totty with the rather large norks???

Hairychested
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh! Lordy!

peasnotwar
    Free Member

No matter how much you may want to….. DO NOT google images of “boobs and cake”…. all that sugar will make you go blind 😉

orange
    Free Member

No matter how much you may want to….. DO NOT google images of “boobs and cake”…. all that sugar will make you go blind

too late….

HELP!

cinnamon_girl

Oh my … that pic of Lardy Cake had me salvinating. 😯

TSY – do you know where I can buy this? I might just have to go to New Alresford, where I used to live, to visit the bakers. Actually could fit in some decent riding too. 8)

Bez

I might just have to go to New Alresford, where I used to live, to visit the bakers.

Which bakers is that then? The one opposite the Co-Op?

Alresford also has one of the best chippies around… very generous with their chips 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Bez – erm, just thinking it might have closed down. It was a deli too. Do you live there?

Bez

No, but I’m not a million miles away. Used to work there for a bit, too.

cinnamon_girl

I miss living there. Riding was good except the inevitable climb out of the valley to begin with!

Bez

Valley?

This is the one in Hampshire…? I didn’t think we really had valleys round here 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Valley as in Itchen! Lived near the A31. Happy memories. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C_G they sell it only a mile from me. They also sell it at the farmers market, I think it’s on Saturdays which my Gran assures me is even better than the cake shop one.

Cake is great, but lardy cake… it’s something else all together!

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

mmmmm….Cheese and beans

cinnamon_girl

Farmers market? That’s good to know then. Did your Gran not make it herself?

Do you know anything about the origins of Lardy Cake? My mother seems to think it’s a Wiltshire speciality as she spent some time living there.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that it does originate from Wiltshire. Although there might be a similar version called dripping cake or something from Worcestershire way.

C_G my Gran is 93 now, but she reckoned the stuff from the farmers market was almost as good as her home made version.

freddyg
    Free Member

I’ve just watched Lorraine Pascale on the telly. Hubba-hubba! Amazing cakes. I’m tempted to go and start baking right now.

I’d never heard of her, but Nigella has some serious competition – she’s lovely!

Although by the look of her, she doesn’t eat any of them 😀

khani
    Free Member

Masterbaking is where it’s at!

I should get some glasses, but things are much more amusing without them….
    This is a cake of cakes

This is gratuitous cake

Torminalis that’s a Danish pastry not cake, your lack of cakey knowledge makes this kitten sad

epicsteve
    Free Member

Given I’m in the process of trying to lose some weight I really wish I hadn’t opened this thread!

Quite like the idea of that lemony cake though. Wife is a big fan of lemon cheese, so thinking about using that as the filling.

khani
    Free Member

It’s not strictly a cake, but I love a good sloppy Manchester tart

footflaps

oh Lordy…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

1 x Lardy cake, bought and consumed. Sorry no pics. What sort of pervert takes pics rather than shoving it straight into the cake hole?

Torminalis
    Free Member

khani –

I refuse to be held responsible for despondent moggies and present for your consideration this…

Lardy cake.

khani
    Free Member

I do apologise, it looks full of cakey goodness, and the kitten agrees

cinnamon_girl

TSY – you didn’t eat ALL of it did you? If you did, I guess you have earned it due to your exercise habits this week. 🙂

Torminalis – I’m salvinating again! Thank goodness there was no mention of fat and calories. 🙄

Does anyone know whether this can be frozen?

khani
    Free Member

One of the biggest letdowns when I moved dahn sarf was going into the bakers up the road,
    I went in to peruse the cakey goodness on offer when I spotted some White square thingys with coconut on top, I like coconut things so I asked what it was and the lady said it was cheesecake, so far so good, as well as coconut I also like cheesy things, I purchased said slice of cake and all it consisted of was a square of puff pastry, White icing and desiccated coconut on top,
    WTF!!!! THATS NOT CAKE!!! What berk invented this crap?
    It was a 9.5 out of 10 on the ‘i feel like iv been swizzed’ meter

cinnamon_girl

khani – cheesecake? Did you just say cheesecake? Where did you buy this please? It has become elusive. 🙁

In fact I spotted cheesecake in a bakers but it was a wannabe, not the real thing at all.

C_G
    lover of both cheesecake and lardy cake

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

mmmmh, yeahp I did, but it was only a small one, probably right for two people. I’m reliably informed that larger ones can be frozen and are particularly delicious following a blast in a micro-wave 😀

Hairychested
    Free Member

My dear lady wife has decided I deserve a cake tonight and has gone shopping for whatever she needs to bake one.
    In Drogheda, the 5th largest town in Eire apparently, you can’t buy a decent cake. I’ve tried really hard, managed to find a decent cafe but no luck regarding cakes.

khani
    Free Member

You like it? Really??? 😯 but’ but…… Really????? 😯 it was nasty, in a nasty way!
    It was from the bakers on grange road in billericay, they sell it in barlylands farm shop and all
    It was the only form of cake in 45years that I didn’t like!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… this has got me thinking about cream teas… I think I need to go for a cream tea… possibly with a cucumber sandwich starter.

cinnamon_girl

I’m going to contact the mods. This thread just has to be deleted. I have a new obsession and it doesn’t involve bikes. 😯

Billericay is too far so I’ve started a new thread, somebody must know where I can buy cheesecake in the Thames Valley.

TSY – I can recommend a pub that serves cream teas on the Hampshire/Berkshire/Wiltshire border. We had a little Forum Ride there a year or so ago. Vernham Dean is the village and there’s some terrific riding around there.

khani
    Free Member

Coconut cream pie

Oh baby!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Friday C&B!’ is closed to new replies.