Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Caffelatex – Review
  • maximusmountain
    Free Member

When I bought this product I searched for reviews and could not find any that reflected my experience with it and seen as single track always comes up when googling such items I thought here would be the best place to post my review!

Upon reading many review I thought I would give it a go over the stans system due to tyre degradation issues that some people seem to have had with schwalbe (I am running snake skin TLR 26×2.25 nobby nics with mavic 319 rims). Upon receiving the kit everything seemed to be there as expected and wiggle delivered it very promptly.

Fitting the system – The tape went on with ease but would not pump up with a track pump (as it said it should on the instructions!) so I removed the tyre and added two more layers of tape. There was much soap, hitting of the tyre with my palm, wrapping the tyre in ratchets, using a home mate ghetto tubeless system and sweaty minutes on the track pump to get the tyre to seat. Try as I might it would not seat with THREE layers of tape (despite the manufacturers claiming it would seat with just one layer). I then decided to try a CO2 cartridge, HUZZAH! the bastard seated. Unfortunately it would then not seal. After removing the tyre I found out why it would not seal and that was because the 150ml of sealant that I had put into the tyre had solidified into a rubber mix all over the inside of my lovely tyre. After this I decided it would be best to go to the LBS and purchase some stans (which inflated with the first co2 cartridge then was let down and pumped up a few times to dilute the co2) and I have had no further problems.

After emailing the company they said it was entirely my fault and that my track pump was of poor quality (its a joe blow so is definitely not of poor quality) and that I shouldn’t have used a CO2 to try and inflate the tyre as that was detrimental to the sealant. My question to them would be, how am I meant to re-seat a tyre in a race without a CO2?

Would not recommend to anyone considering the amount of stress it has caused me and the consideration that if you need to pop a tyre back on during a race the CO2 would actually cause all of your sealant to dry up and therefore stop working!

My personal recommendation, just use stans.

gringojimi
    Free Member

…and when it does actually seat, I’ve found that its just too thin to seal any punctures.

Gone back to Stans.

christhetall
    Free Member

A sealant that can’t be used with CO2 – that’s a serious limitation.

Thanks for the warning

rootes1

I stopped using it, seems incapable of sealing even the smallest hole..

honourablegeorge

I used it too, it was shit.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It was brilliant for actually getting a tubeless tyre inflated, but it dried out within weeks.

Back to Stan’s now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Caffelatex – Review’ is closed to new replies.