Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cafall@CwnCarn vs Blade@Afan vs BPW (without uplift)
  • BillOddie

I have a pass out on Sunday from my inlaws just North of Cardiff.

What are the new trails at Cwmcarn and Afan like?

BPW without a prebooked uplift, how evil is the climb to the top? Can you realistically pay as you go on the uplift on a Sunday?

I will be taking my Ragley Blue Pig with me, if that makes a difference.

wrecker
    Free Member

BPW is the best option, I have PAYG’d there loads of times. Just make sure you carry loads of pound coins as the drivers don’t always have change.
    Blade is a good trail with plently of variety and interest.
    Cafell is a bit crap. Featureless, disappounting descent for the climb. Very XC if that’s your bag.
    All IMHO of course.

creamegg
    Free Member

BPW do a pre-pay system now so you don’t have to carry money with you. Ive gone there without uplift and mixed it up by cycling up and paying for uplift as and when theres room on the van. Even if you don’t get a space you gat get quite a few runs in, managed 8 without any uplift.

Blade is ok, well most of it. There is one seriously boring pointless bit in it (IMO) which you can easily by pass, think its called Ghost train.

Cafall is ok, didn’t like it first time but its growing on me and there are some nice sections to it. If your looking for a full day out I’d do BPW or if you do Cwmcarn you can double up by doing Cafall & Twrch. Plenty of options at Afan too if your looking for a longer ride.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Climb BPW is fine but not much bang for your buck, down is over in a few minutes. If you want to spend your money I guess up lift is option but its pretty crowded

Blade is good, the old syline bit brings back memories and you can link it to W2 at the end for mega loop

Cafall and Twrch make good loop

many arent fit enough for the climbs hence they throw money at vans

philwarren11
    Free Member

Cafal is good but short. If you got a pass BPW is good as you can ride as much as you want hours wise.

Blade is a pretty long XC, some bits are alright but it feels like there more climbing than downs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cafall is good, longer than the Twrch. I enjoyed it.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cafall is ok, a couple of good sections, the first descent is the best, but mostly XC orientated, y mynnd DH course though is absolutely awesome, one of my fave descents in Wales. BPW of course is just amazing but I wouldn’t count on many uplifts on a Sunday. Afan I think White’s level and Y Wal are still the best trails, Y Wal final descent is still the best in Afan.
    Obviously all IMO!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I only did the last descent, but what I did ride of the Cafall trail, I thought was great. It’s a really involving trail and gets wild when you ride it fast but great fun.

therag
    Free Member

Cafall is my favorite at the moment, 1 lap then back up fire road to ride the new dh makes a good ride.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

All great options really, maybe I’m just over enthusiastic but I would thoroughly enjoy a day riding any of the mentioned trails. I don’t understand how cafall is too XC orientated but the Y wall final descents are the best ever. That’s just madness. Don’t get me wrong, I love zig zags, but you could easily ride that and grave yard on a cyclo-cross bike.

All are good options, if you want to spend a whole day BPW might be your best bet as there is a good variety of trails to try. How hard climbs are depends completely on your own fitness but BPW can be done all on the fireroad so is about as easy as they come. Blade is whites climb which is pretty mellow while still being rocky and involving enough to keep your mind off the pain in your legs. The cafall climb is probably the most punishing with some really steep parts, but it’s more satisfying than a fireroad slog.

To sum up, it doesn’t matter they are all good fun!

BillOddie

Erring towards BPW, even if I have to ride up each time.

Earn your turns and all that…

Best dust off the knee armour!

LoCo
    Free Member

Cafell and ride it fast

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t understand how cafall is too XC orientated but the Y wall final descents are the best ever. That’s just madness. Don’t get me wrong, I love zig zags, but you could easily ride that and grave yard on a cyclo-cross bike.

You could get around CaffEll on a unicycle I reckon. I may have been harsh calling it crap, just not remotely challenging and the final descent left me feeling severely short changed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cafall@CwnCarn vs Blade@Afan vs BPW (without uplift)’ is closed to new replies.