Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Caddy 1.6 or 2.0
  • pirahna
    Free Member

I’ve decided to buy a van, probably a fairly recent Caddy. My question is what’s the 1.6 like on long motorway trips, ie across France. Or should I look for a 2 litre?

Cheers.

cultsdave
    Free Member

From my research a Berlingo or similar is a better choice.
    Cheaper to buy and better to drive apparently.

robgal
    Free Member

I have the 1.6 in my 2013 fabia, it’s a similar enough shape to the caddy too I suppose. Great mpg (>60mpg)on A roads sub 60mph, but that falls away considerably on motorways travelling 70+, I imagine due to the steep front end.

A mate just got a 2014 caddy with the 2.0 litre and it’s excellent, it drives nicer than a lot of cars, I would definitely go for the 2.0.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve got a Fiat sudo 1.6 which is bigger than a caddy and that drive nicely to me as long as you are not heavily loaded (like with loads of tools supplies e.t.c.) then it get a bit slow. As ever it depends on what your compromise point is.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I have a ’13-plate 1.6 Caddy as my work van – regularly do 500+ miles a day, trips to Netherlands, etc in it. Fine on motorways, happily cruises at non-legal speeds should you wish. Slows a little on long steep hills but not too bad. Fuel economy around 45mpg at (decent, ahem) motorway speeds as it’s only a 5-speed gearbox. Passenger legroom a bit cramped though.

kristoff
    Free Member

My step father has recently sold his caddy maxi 1.6 dsg. He said it was quite happy at motorway speeds.. He regularly travels from south Devon up to the Isle of Skye’s so it’s seen plenty of motorway driving.

Take one for a test drive, I find personal driving manner makes a big difference. If your happy plodding on with traffic I expect the 1.6 would be ample.

gazza285
    Free Member

I’d rather have a Berlingo over a Caddy, but like TheBrick I have a Scudo, more room for bikes…

flowerpower
    Free Member

I have a Caddy maxi van.

I test drove the 1.6, but it just felt a bit sluggish on the uptake and ‘whiney’ on the motorway (prob due to the 5 speed box). I drive a lot (about 35k a year) so I went for the 2.0L.

I’m sure that the occasional trip to France would be fine in a 1.6, but I love the 2.0 and would get the same again… in my case the company was paying, so it was a no brainer.

Not sure how much that helps, it is a personal choice, the 1.6 is capable, the 2.0 is more expensive, but nicer… Can you test drive them both?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not sure how much that helps, it is a personal choice, the 1.6 is capable, the 2.0 is more expensive, but nicer

This is the big point. I bought mine second hand, feb 2007 registered for £3k, equivalent 2.0L version, about 6 months newer was about £1500 more.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I have the 1.6 DSG 7 speed
    If I was buying now I’d get the 2.0
    You will miss the extra 40bho and half the torque again

takisawa2

Just had a pool car for the week, a 2012 1.6 greenline Skoda Superb estate, with 87k on the clock.

Ok, it might not set the world alight if loaded to the gills, but it purred along beautifully at motorway speeds.

Brimmed it at the same pump & it averaged 59mpg over the week, & I wasn’t hanging around up & down the M40.

I’d happily buy one, lovely motor.

ART

2.0L every time. Nippy, plenty of poke for overtaking, cruises happily on long journeys. Had mine nearly 8 years now & still love it.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

1.6 will be fast enough 95% of the time. 2.0 for the final 5% and also markedly more reliable.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

5 speed i felt is quite rubbish.. Not very nice if you do loads motorway mileage.. Wish i spend more for 2.0 6speed, or if i can turn back time.. I will never ever ever ever ever buy a van.

pirahna
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I pick up my 2.0 on Monday. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Caddy 1.6 or 2.0’ is closed to new replies.