Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • CAADX sizing
  • rider247
    Free Member

Thinking of purchasing a caadx and was wondering about sizing. I have a giant defy in M/L so was thinking maybe a 54cm in the caadx would fit, I’m 6ft 2 aswell, any help is appreciated.

justatheory
    Free Member

At 6,2″ I’d have thought a 54cm will be way too small. Depends on other factors such as top tube length, but a 58cm sounds more suitable.

mattmbk
    Free Member

I’m 5 10 and ride a 54 and it’s just about small enough for me. A 52 was too short. I’d try a 56 then a 58 if you’re intending to ride it enthusiastically off road as the top tube is very flat so standover is high.

benji
    Free Member

I ride a 56 superx, they are a long top tube at 57 rather than the more usual 56. At 6’2″ I would be more tempted to a 56 than a 54. The head tube on the caadx is slightly taller than the superx. Nice bike enjoy.

JoB
    Free Member

yup, a 54 would be too small, going and sitting on one is the only way you’ll find out what size fits you best though, like trying on shoes

DezB
    Free Member

Agree with the above – you’ll probably need a 56, but need to try them out.
    My road bike frames are normally 56, but the 54 CAAD-X fits me perfectly.

(ps. get one with disc brakes)

rider247
    Free Member

Can’t really try on for size as I’m wanting to buy one 2nd hand. So might have to pass this one then.

DezB
    Free Member

where are you? maybe could try one of ours?

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, long, long top tube.
    5’11” and a 54cm here. It felt long when I got it.

rider247
    Free Member

I’m Teesside area in case anyone’s near.

convert

Yeah, long, long top tube

They don’t look it on paper. 54cm has a 54.5cm top tube, 56cm has a 56cm top tube and 58cm a 57.5cm top tube. I’m 5’11” and road race/ride a 57cm top tube bike and 56cm top tube cx bike. I can’t conceive riding a 54cm top tube bike and Ive got longish legs for my height so in theory a short trunk. I’d knock off 1-1.5cm when speccing a cx cyclocross bike from your road bike measurements. But then Im a roadie turned mtber. A lot of mtbers are used to being less stretched and more sat up so choose a shorter top tube when buying a road bike than a dyed in the wool roadie of the same dimensions would. That gives rise to short head tube issues and silly flipped stems.

duner
    Free Member

I’m a fraction under 6’2″ and have a 58cm. I could get away with the 56 but preferred the higher head tube on the 58. If you want a low racy position get a 56 and possibly change to a longer stem, if you want more upright and relaxed go 58 with s shorter stem.

TiRed

Medium Defy and I’d ride a 54 as per caad8. So I suggest sizing up to the 56. I tried a 56 and it felt huge. I’m 5’10.5″ and ummmed and erred over medium or med/large defy.

Dansk1

I’m 6’2″ and have a 56cm superX. Wouldn’t want to go any bigger.

rider247
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience of the TCX? Would a medium be OK for me or be too small (6ft 2 and use a defy M/L)?

Merak

The bonkers world of bike sizing. The worst thing you could do is ask on here. Not that folk are ill advised or would mislead. Rather physiologically we are all different.

To illustrate Im 5’11 not overly long limbs or torso. All the guides would put me on a 56-58cm road frame which is gate like for me.

55cm is my sweet spot with a 110mm stem. Seat tube sizing is largely rendered irrelevant with the advent of compact geometry. (unless its traditional geo) Then theres effective tt meaurements as opposed to actual.

Go and have a look at the Caadx. At 6’2 it would be more like a 56cm though, dammit there I go telling you what will fit too…

fisha
    Free Member

I’m 6ft n a baw-hair , and ride a 58cm caadx … Very pleased with the size for me, very comfy. Shop tried to sell me a 56. Tried one in the shop and it felt too cramped. Really advise you make the effort to sit on ones if you can

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

Don’t buy a bike without sitting on it,

Unless you have unusual proportions a M/L sounds too small on a defy. The Defy does come up quite big but at 6-2 at least a L

And yes I fit people to bikes. We often get peeps in who have bought the wrong size on line(usually too big) and need help trying to sort it. Everybody has differences in their body sizing/arm length/flexibility etc and this along with the style of riding needs taking into account.And all the manufacturers vary for the same alleged size.Caad x has a more traditional frame shape than a defy.

Find a shop which sells them- even if you don’t buy from there.

rider247
    Free Member

I would say I’m about right proportions wise, AMD the defy fits me beautifully, happily covered over 2,000 miles in the last couple of months, haven’t changed the original stem either.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘CAADX sizing’ is closed to new replies.