Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • C-clip cable guides
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Do manufacturers stick these all over bikes knowing full well you’re going to lose them on the trail? It doesn’t take much of a knock to dislodge them!

The ones on the bike are plastic, but it looks like the the likes of Mowa make alloy versions (that I can envisage scratching the frame?!) – are these any more secure, or a waste of time?

In areas that went missing first I simply replaced with zip ties, is this the best way?

donal
    Free Member

The Mowa ones are not too good. I got some to pimp up my bike a little. They needed a pliers to secure, rattled and were not a good fit for the cables. Not worth it in my opinion. The plastic c-clips are the handiest I think. I don’t think I have ever lost any and easy to get on and off.

coatesy
    Free Member

Often find the plastic ones loose in the bottom of new bike boxes, surprisingly difficult to remove from frames in order to fit cables, surprisingly easy to fall off once cables are fitted. Zip ties every time for security, but make sure to trim them right back, and tuck the sharp edges out of harms way.

joshbosh12
    Free Member

I’ve never lost the ones on my Trance but i’m intending on getting these for if i ever get a dropper post.

wwaswas

that link from joshbosh12 – wierd that you can get 10 little plastic bits posted to you from Taiwan for £4.40 and that’s ‘just how things are now’

World is a smaller place than it used to be.

ThePinkster

Gave up with the c-clips on my GT and swapped to zip ties. guaranteed security with them and very cheap to replace if you need to play with the hoses.

endurogangster
    Free Member

I use the mowa ones and as above you need pliers to open and secure them, but then they are hooked under the guide so stay put. It was either that zip ties or buying a job lot of the plastic ones and having a few in the backpack incase you lose them while riding!

andyrm
    Free Member

Swap them for zip ties, but make sure that they are all trimmed back and more importantly, all aligned the same direction. Little pet hate of mine – you’ve got a £4k bike, lovingly handpicked components, skillfully assembled and then you haven’t got the attention to detail to line up cable ties. Irrational I know! 😉

ThePinkster

andyrm – do you line up the tyre logos with your valves as well? 😉

andyrm
    Free Member

Indeed I do! Although there does need to be some form of standardisation as to rim graphics, and whether they read outwards or inwards, because this can lead to all manner of conundrums when aligning tyre/rim/valve with one bit of text upside down relative to the others………

🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I put two o-rings on the housing either side of the plastic clip. Just makes it a bit tighter and I’ve not lots one in 7 years.

However, if using zip ties, they all have to line up.

Northwind

If the fixey things on the frame are good then the plastic ones tend not to fall off, ime. Never lost one off my Soul, but the other bike I had with them (forget which it was) used to leave them behind like a trail of breadcrumbs.

cookeaa

I wouldn’t touch C-clips, I’ve had one frame that came with them wasn’t that impressed TBH.

What’s wrong with just using a zip tie? OK you might need to cut it off but it’s not like spares are hard to come by…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘C-clip cable guides’ is closed to new replies.