Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bye bye paper counterpart – driving licence goes photocard only
  • nbt

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

From January 2015, DVLA will no longer issue the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence.

You can check out your driving licence details online too. I wasn’t awer that I can reide a moped with no further test needed at all, and I can ride ANY SIZE motorbike on my provisional licence it says…

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

MadPierre

I’ve still only got the paper bit never had a photo one.

wwaswas

Interesting – I thought you needed both parts for driving in France?

nbt

you currently need both bits for driving in the UK – I guess the requirement for France is based on the fact that you must have the full licence which means having the paper bit too?

Northwind

Just reminds me of that spell where they ****ed up their records and my paper licence had different entitlements to my plastic one. (lots of motorbike entitlements fell off people who had both A and B licences, some people who couldn’t prove their entitlements were told to resit tests)

MadPierre

Always confuses Jonny foreigner when I present my paper only license! 😀

Simon

I’ve only got the paper part too, never had a photo card.

MrOvershoot

Mad Pierre – Member

I’ve still only got the paper bit never had a photo one.

Me too

nbt – Member

you currently need both bits for driving in the UK

Do you?

MadPierre

Only if you have both MrOvershoot. If you’ve only got the paper one that’s all you need. (UK and abroad)

wwaswas

sorry, I meant you had to physically carry them with you in France. No need to have your licence on you in the uk.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thank God ! Very irratating as I had to pay for a replacement paper part as I could not rent cars in the UK without it. Have never been asked for the paper part when renting in Europe but always asked in the UK.

nbt

ok – but I think that the requirement is franceis just that if you;re driving, you have your licence with you (and a breathalyser and warning triangkle and stuff in your car) – just like in ‘murica. Over here we don’t have that, you can take your licence to the police station later if required

jota180
    Free Member

sorry, I meant you had to physically carry them with you in France

Dunno what the legal wording is but I’ve been pulled 4 or 5 times over the years in France and all they ever want is my passport.

MrOvershoot

Ahh thanks I thought I had been blissfully driving around breaking the law for a moment.

When my mum lived in France she had a mare of a time getting her UK driving licence updated when she remarried as she had no UK home!

Murray

Thanks for posting that – no paper licence, no tax disk – yeah!

Onzadog
    Free Member

NBT, I believe that bit about you being allowed to ride a moped is what they call granddad privileges! 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@nbt – yes its the law in France to have driving licence, proof of vehicle ownership and insurance (the French provide little cards for these which people keep in their cars or even display in the windscreen). It’s the law in France to carry ID (your ID card or passport) with you at all times.

butcher

If I remember correctly, the photo card came in the year I passed my test. After I passed. So I haven’t got one either. I’m keeping it real with my sheet of paper.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, got stopped last year but did not carry anything on me. Just told the police to check their database. They did and everything was alright otherwise I would have to go to the nearest police station to show them my driving license. 🙂

With iPhone generation they should not have a problem calling DVLA etc to verify …

footflaps

Dunno what the legal wording is but I’ve been pulled 4 or 5 times over the years in France and all they ever want is my passport Euros.

🙂

DrJ

When my mum lived in France she had a mare of a time getting her UK driving licence updated when she remarried as she had no UK home!

You dont need a UK home, just an address to send it to. I’ve been using my mum’s address for the last 30 years. They must be wondering when I’m ever going to leave home !

cliffyc
    Free Member

The DVLA got a problem with trees now????

mssansserif
    Free Member

You can check out your driving licence details online too. I wasn’t awer that I can reide a moped with no further test needed at all, and I can ride ANY SIZE motorbike on my provisional licence it says…

Just in case you try it you’ve slightly misunderstood it. I’m not 100% on the moped but I think you still need a CBT test (if you’re getting on a bit this might be wrong)

But you can only provisionally ride any sized motorbike, I.e. You need to be with an instructor.

On the plus side mine says 0 points. Woo

Sandwich

When I was last government sponsored for MTB I had to attend an A4e centre. The young lady asked for my licence. I handed over the pink paper one I have had for 20+ years and was asked for the rest of it. I had to explain about paper licences, I felt old!

breadcrumb

Just in case you try it you’ve slightly misunderstood it. I’m not 100% on the moped but I think you still need a CBT test (if you’re getting on a bit this might be wrong)

I passed my driving test in 2000 and could ride a moped with no CBT. I wouldn’t though!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Young labourer on site went for his theory test two weeks ago, forgot his paper licence. Result was no test and a had to pay the fee again. I found it unbelievable that in this “modern” age you still need a bit of paper to allow you to take the test.

jam-bo

Good. I can rent a car pretty much anywhere in the world with just a photo card licence and a credit card except for the UK.

MrOvershoot

DrJ – Member
    You dont need a UK home, just an address to send it to. I’ve been using my mum’s address for the last 30 years. They must be wondering when I’m ever going to leave home !

Oh don’t worry she used my address eventually!(they probably thought poor sod his mum has moved back in)

But at first she got some jobsworth statto who just kept saying if its not your place of residence then its not your address 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

I dunno why you’re rolling your eyes or calling them a jobsworth. You’re not allowed a UK licence if you don’t live in the UK.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Konabunny, says who? I kept my uk license while abroad for several years. You are supposed to update the address, but they won’t accept a foreign address, so I couldn’t. I also got a foreign license, but I don’t believe that my uk one has become invalid.

downgrade
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence#before-you-start

You’ll need to: …
    be a resident of Great Britain

If you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence.

konabunny
    Free Member

You are supposed to update the address, but they won’t accept a foreign address

yeah – there’s a reason why you can’t give them a foreign address!

seems like less of a jobsworth civil servant and more like a LAWBREAKING CIVILIAN. I am paging Judge Dredd.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Please state which law renders my license invalid. I’m well aware that there is official advice to get a license in your new country of residence – an international driving permit and UK license is only usable for up to one year, so anyone driving abroad long-term needs to do this, but if you aren’t driving abroad, you don’t need a foreign licence, and even if you get one, that doesn’t mean the UK one is revoked. I’m not aware of any reason why my current UK license should have lost its validity due to my living abroad.

grim168
    Free Member

Government are saying shred it and the aa are saying keep it. To hire a car abroad now you need a code from the dvla website which only lasts 72 hours

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bye bye paper counterpart – driving licence goes photocard only’ is closed to new replies.