• This topic has 66 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by a11y.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Bye bye EE – but at least we’ve taken control of our boaders!
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Time for a new SIM card

Even though they said they wouldn’t reintroduce roaming charges, from next year it’ll be £2 per day to use your EE phone in the EU.

So, which operator goes next, and who do we trust not to do the same?

I’m sure the queues of knuckledraggers at Magaluf airport will be more than happy to receive that text message when they land for their week of drinking lager and getting sunburn – all part of the brexit bonus, right?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

For context, I’m planning on a 5-7 week cycle tour through France next year 🤦🏻‍♂️

grum
    Free Member

3 didn’t have roaming charges even before everyone was made to get rid of them…

I’m sure the queues of knuckledraggers at Magaluf airport will be more than happy to receive that text message when they land for their week of drinking lager and getting sunburn – all part of the brexit bonus, right?

But now at least we are free to try and negotiate phone deals with Australia, oh no wait that was already free on 3 also 😛

kimbers

O2 announced they were yesterday

they all will

it cost UK holidaymakers £350m a year in roaming charges before EU stopped it

so much win

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

O2 already announced a £3.50/gb charge for data outside your allowance or over 25gb used outwith the UK, what was not overly clear from the release I read was how long the 25gb limit is in place for, a week, a bill cycle, a year?

reluctantjumper

I’m on EE currently and expected this to happen. For a week away it’ll be an extra £14 or so to carry on using the phone, sounds not too bad but for longer trips it’ll be an annoyance. Add up everyone’s bills and the companies will be taking it it (once we’re allowed to go abroad en masse).

Another invoice I can send to those who voted Leave 🤬

ayjaydoubleyou

Is that a flat rate or per country. Most of my foreign holidays seem to be on the French/Swiss/Italian border.

Just the other day I got a text from EE asking me to rate the service I’ve recieved. So I’ve replied telling them what I think of this.

mashr

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Time for a new SIM card

I wouldn’t bother, they’ll all do it very soon. Maybe with the exception of 3, but wouldn’t even bank on that

ratherbeintobago

For a prolonged holiday could you not just get a French PAYG SIM? (I know this is a pain but it’s what my Portuguese mate used to do when he went home before roaming charges were abolished)

mogrim

Great, no doubt this will be reciprocal, so anytime I visit the UK I’ll get hit with charges from (Spanish) Orange. Good old Brexit! 🤬

petec
    Free Member

The O2 thing was a fair use policy, which they were allowed to set when we were part of the EU anyway; it was almost a non story

Naturally, a number of newspapers have thus described O2’s change as the “end of free roaming” or the “return of roaming charges,” but it should be said that data usage when roaming within the EU has always tended to be treated a bit differently from texts and calls, even when the UK was still within the EU. Indeed, O2’s rivals have long had fair usage limits, particularly for UK plans that offer unlimited data or large data allowances.

For example, EE’s Pay Monthly plans already include a 50GB roaming cap when within their own Europe Zone (i.e. if you have a usage allowance of that size or bigger) and “surcharges” will apply if you go over that (here) – this equates to 36p per MegaByte. It’s a similar story for other operators’ too, with Three UK enabling you to use up to 20GB of your data allowance at no extra cost when within their Go Roam in Europe destinations.

In short, O2 are largely just adopting the same approach as their rivals, which have long had FUP caps on data for EU roaming.

However, the EE thing is not, and that is a “benefit” of the sunlit uplands

zippykona

FREEDUMB

nickc

(I know this is a pain but it’s what my Portuguese mate used to do when he went home before roaming charges were abolished)

kinda sums it up really doesn’t it. Brexit continues to be a giant steaming turd in the middle of everyone’s dinner

campfreddie
    Free Member

I spend a few monnths of each year at my other home in Madeira. This spring, i received for the first time a ‘fair usage’ warning from 02 saying that if i spent too much time outside of the UK within a given year, i will incur penalties. Never had this before.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I think the cost is reasonable it costs us a lot more when In the US x 4 phones, although we are on holiday so hardly use them.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m sure the queues of knuckledraggers at Magaluf airport will be more than happy to receive that text message when they land for their week of drinking lager and getting sunburn

Not sure why you felt the need to add this TBF

avdave2

What’s the problem That’s just one week of what we used to send to the EU. I read it on a bus

P20

EE will do 30days abroad for £10

BigJohn

Should give that to the NHS

muggomagic

It reads like it’s a charge for new customers, so don’t ditch that SIM just yet. Then as they said they wouldn’t apply charges at all in Jan, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was expanded to all customers in the near future.

solarider
    Free Member

But think of the blue passports! And the freedom! And taking back control of our laws! And all those hospitals we can afford to build! And the lack of those foreigners coming over stealing our jobs!

Surely that’s worth £2 a day to call home from the Dog and Duck in Benedorm to moan about how the beans in your Full English aren’t like back home?

Anybody?…………

muggomagic

I’m sure the queues of knuckledraggers at Magaluf airport will be more than happy to receive that text message when they land for their week of drinking lager and getting sunburn

Especially as I would assume the majority of people going to Magaluf on holiday are 18-30 and that age group were about 80% remain. The people off on their Saga cruises though…..

Harry_the_Spider

The people off on their Saga cruises though

Not their problem. The boat probably has WiFi…

muggomagic

Not their problem. The boat probably has WiFi…

😀

mattyfez

I wouldn’t bother, they’ll all do it very soon. Maybe with the exception of 3, but wouldn’t even bank on that

To be fair, 3 were doing free roaming since before EU rules came in forcing all providers to drop crazy roaming fees. It was one of thier, if not the biggest selling point for them, at least for me. So I would hope they would continue.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Because I’m a bitter, angry remoaner, and I think that the vast majority of brexit voters are knuckdraggers…

Other European destinations are available.

🙂

grum
    Free Member

For a prolonged holiday could you not just get a French PAYG SIM? (I know this is a pain but it’s what my Portuguese mate used to do when he went home before roaming charges were abolished)

Lots of phones with dual slim slots these days also.

solarider
    Free Member

Can you avoid paying it if you can prove you voted remain and charge leave voters double? Since the vote was pretty much 50/50 the net impact would be the same.

5lab

It reads like it’s a charge for new customers, so don’t ditch that SIM just yet. Then as they said they wouldn’t apply charges at all in Jan, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was expanded to all customers in the near future.

vote with your feet anyway. it costs extremely little to accept/make roaming calls for the network (couple of pence a day) – these charges are abusive.

mattyfez

I’ve never actually used a duel sim phone, how do they work… Do yo have to disable sim A and enable sim B or does it work automagiaclly?

bob_summers

What about remainers abroad like me who were denied a vote?!

ayjaydoubleyou

it costs extremely little to accept/make roaming calls for the network (couple of pence a day) – these charges are abusive.

Who is actually calling people?

I want to use maps, possibly use some sort of language translator, upload my strava/skitrax, post pictures to insta, use the group whatsapp to coordinate the days activities.

And possibly, depending on my mood with work, check my emails once a day.

zippykona

I’ve never actually used a duel sim phone, how do they work… Do yo have to disable sim A and enable sim B or does it work automagiaclly?

I dial a number and it pops up which SIM do you want to call from?
    You can designate a primary sim.
    Love mine.

vanilla83
    Free Member

It’s only for new customers or people upgrading

kelvin

It’s only for new customers or people upgrading

One of the reasons I moved my EE contract to sim only, to grandfather pre-Brexit terms (while they’re allowing that). Anyone with a handset on an EE plan will be pulled into this at the end of their current contract.

mattyfez

I dial a number and it pops up which SIM do you want to call from?
    You can designate a primary sim.
    Love mine.

Interesting! Thanks.. How does that work with data/Internet though? I generaly use WhatsApp instead of regular calls abroad, mainly so people I call aren’t hit with charges too

matt_outandabout

Brexshit – the most expensive way of changing the colour of UK passports we could ever have imagined.

Can I invoice a local Brexiteer?

reluctantjumper

I want to use maps, possibly use some sort of language translator, upload my strava/skitrax, post pictures to insta, use the group whatsapp to coordinate the days activities.

I’ve just been having that conversation about it with my dad. He said that I hardly ever use my phone for calls anyway so won’t affect me but then I reminded him about how I used it for navigation, looking up attractions, paying for stuff (Euro pre-pay card linked to G Pay) and a few other things the last time we went abroad. All of that would cost me as data is classed as roaming.

He went a bit silent.

5lab

Thanks.. How does that work with data/Internet though?

on my galaxy s10 you configure it to use 1 sim for data at a given point in time. You might be able to tell it to use both (I’ve never needed to). you can’t use a micro sd card at the same time as a second sim though

Andy_B

It’s not really surprising. Most phone plans nowadays are free for calls and texts which happens to be regulated. The unregulated part – picture messages and data, seen as a luxury, is where they make the money.

The telecoms industry has a history of all companies following , for example, one off shores an admin role to India and before you know it all the others have had to do the same to remain competitive. No doubt the consultants are already working out how much they can charge O2, VF and 3 to tell them to do the same. I can imagine the only reason it’s not already happened is due to sandbagging against this years targets.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Bye bye EE – but at least we’ve taken control of our boaders!’ is closed to new replies.