Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Buying Ski Boots
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Hello, advice or recommendations wanted please. Got back into skiing (after a long break) the past couple of winters and am now thinking of getting myself my own boots again for the first time in a couple of decades. Hoping to pick a pair up cheap at the end of this season.

Want to get fitted for a pair so am wondering where is best to go. The three most obvious choices, given my location, are Tiso, Ellis Brigham and Craigdon Mountain Sports.

Any thoughts on which of these is best, or anywhere else to consider?

Cheers in advance.

footflaps

Local independent ski shop if you have one nearby?

boblo
    Free Member

Ski boot fitting always seems to be a combination of witchcraft and black art.

I bought a pair from my local shop and they’ve been fine. They don’t fit perfectly but they aren’t uncomfortable and don’t seem to limit on piste at all.

We bought a pair for my wife in resort, the very definition of a distressed purchase. The shop obviously had loads of experience/throughput and spent ages getting her ‘just so’. They’ve been perfect. They spent a  while tuning mine to find they were slightly the wrong size…

I then bought a pair of touring boots from Lockwood’s. They spent ages selecting the right boots and getting the fitting just so. They’ve been perfect both on and off piste.

I think the point is, you might be lucky and get a good fit/cheaper price but if it comprises your skiing and/or your holiday, is saving a few quid the wisest choice? The best approach would be to rent in resort and then buy what you really get on with after skiing it all week.

oldtennisshoes

Kennyp – I’m guessing scotland, but not sure where.

Alain Baxter is supposed to be good, based on a shitty industrial estate just outside Stirling

http://www.alainbaxter.co.uk/

Beagleboy

Ooooh, I’m thinking along the exact same lines! I’m just a beginner. Had a week at Stubai in Austria last year and just got back from a week in Val d’Isere on Saturday, so I’m still all excited and pumped up about skiing. I’ve been looking at boots online and was thinking of wandering down to Ski and Boardroom in Partick (near my workplace), as they’re advertising Rossignol Alias 90’s in my size and price bracket…as well as the fact they appear to be marketed at the ‘larger rider’ who might perhaps have chunkier calves than most folk. 🙁 Just not sure what to look for, as both times I’ve had hire boots for any length of time I’ve ended up in agony with the damn things while my mates go on about their’s as if they’re dancing slippers!

What about Alain Baxter’s place in Stirling? I couldn’t see much online, but it looks like he does a bespoke fitting service and has boots in stock, albeit, the boots he has on his website all seem to be high end boots for nippy / whizzy riders.

Let me know how you get on anyway…if you don’t mind!

C.

scotroutes

Decathlon. That’s where the Mrs and I got ours.

kennyp
    Free Member

Hi. Location is Edinburgh so Stirling would be easy enough to get to. However if most of Alain Baxter’s boots are Hugh end racy type ones then maybe not for me. These days I’m more of a “happy to cruise along at a nice sedate pace” sort of skier, sticking mainly to blues and reds.

Not sure what independent ski shops are around. The three I suggested were because I’ve heard they have the equipment (not cheap I guess) to do proper fittings.

Will do Beagleboy.

kennyp
    Free Member

I think the point is, you might be lucky and get a good fit/cheaper price but if it comprises your skiing and/or your holiday, is saving a few quid the wisest choice?

Agreed. While I do hope to get something a bit cheaper, ultimately getting the right boots is more of a priority as the idea is I’ll have them for a good few years so don’t mind paying a bit more to get the right pair.

kennyp
    Free Member

Yes, thought about Decathlon too. I’ve picked up various bits of kit in there over the years. Some of it has been amazingly good value, some of it has been junk. Don’t mind shopping there for “unimportant” stuff but always been a bit wary as regards bigger purchases.

Beagleboy

Hi Kennyp!

I’ve no idea what’s in Alain’s shop. All I was going by was the few pairs of boots he’s got showing on the front page of his website. Might still be worth giving him a bell?

scaled
    Free Member

they’re advertising Rossignol Alias 90’s in my size and price bracket

In my experience that’s not how ski boot fittings work, I went to Ellis Brighams in Manchester and spent nearly 3 hours getting fitted and walked out with one of the cheapest boots in the shop after trying on pretty much every pair that they had in stock in an assortment of sizes.

It’s a bit Cinderella/Harry Potter, you don’t choose the boot…

scotroutes

Decathlon do “big” brands as well as their own. My boots are Salomon. I think we spent around 2 hours buying boots and skis. The assistant could not have been more helpful.

lunge

I’ll back up the idea of going to a “proper” fitter and being guided by them for fit and which boots to buy. I bought mine from Lockwoods in Leamington and had then tweaked by Colin at Solutions4Feet in Bicester.

I’ve heard good things about Alain Baxter’s shop, I’d head there and see what he has, I’d be very surprised if he just has high end racey stuff.

oldtennisshoes

I’m pondering this too. I’ve seen some bargains in my size (which is unusual) in my local Craigdon. I’m going to have a wander down this afternoon to have a look. If they can do a proper fitting on the sale boots, then it’s going to be time to splash the cash 😉

footflaps

>I then bought a pair of touring boots from Lockwood’s. They spent ages selecting the right boots and getting the fitting just so.

+1 for Lockwoods, my wife used to live just round the corner, so know them well.

Alphabet

For years I was told I had wide feet and was fitted with painful boots. Then I went to Ellis Brigham in Manchester to be told I had narrow/standard feet. One custom foot bed later (and best part of a day in the shop) and I’ve got the most comfortable pair of boots I’ve ever had.

I would suggest after fitting that you pop along to your nearest snow dome and give them a try so you can sort any issues out without wasting valuable time on holiday.

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Some handy hints. Will check out Alain Baxter’s place and take a look in Decathlon too, plus the others. Sounds like getting a proper fit definitely the way to go.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I used to fit ski boots when I worked at Snow & Rock, years ago now. As above, the boots choose you but most manufacturers have a similar fit across models so getting that foot shape right at the start is important. We used to take the liner out & get the customer to put their foot in the shell with the toes touching the end, if you can fit 2 fingers behind the heel the size is about right.

Unless you want to try on some manky shop sock I suggest you go to the fitting with your own ski socks. Thinner is better! And I reckon everyone can benefit from some custom-moulded footbeds. We used the Sidas ones, I think Tiso have a machine from memory. They are a bit pricey but so worth it. And I’ve had 20 years out of one pair, swapping between boots. I quite fancy some new ones from Alain Baxter though.

Steve_B

Craigdon – good service. Staff are generally helpful and knowledgeable and will spend as much time as you need. They should have some good reductions soon. We got ours from Perth. All adjustments were done for free at the time incl adjustment to the shell for Mrs B. (even tho not high end boots and well reduced in a sale) Shops are all independent now but other family members and friend have bought from Edinburgh and Aberdeen stores. We are all happy with the outcome.

Alain Baxter – nice guy. Limited range of boots in store last time I was in so I wouldn’t head out without phoning first. Boots not all high end and would have ordered others in. Maybe the guy to go to if you have particular fitting/custom requirements. NB He may well be away race training at this time of year.

footflaps

I had some ZipFit custom liners moulded a couple of years back. Amazing things, they continually mould to your feet when warm and you end up with a perfect fit.

http://www.zipfit.com/

giant_scum
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Salomons last year in Decathlon they were heavily discounted.

Maybe not perfect but they are good enough for me, for now.

What about the the Freeze Pro Shop in South Gyle Industrial estate?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just been though exactly this last week. Ended up going to Ellis Brigham at Castleford (an hour up the road from me). I’ve never had major comfort issues with rental boots – more a case of economics – I can borrow a mate’s skis (and he can transport them for me), and if I then have my own boots, that pays back in 2 years rental costs.

Took about 3hrs, inc custom footbeds and a bit of a shell stretch. Bar a certain amount of banter/pisstake from one of the other fitters about the shape of my feet (I now know I have REALLY high arches!), the guy fitting me (Benji) couldn’t have been more attentive. It was a quiet weekday afternoon though, and I’d expect to be more rushed on a Saturday morning in peak season.

No idea yet if they’re actually comfortable for skiing in – it’ll be a while before I can find out (NB – I got the impression going straight to the slope with warm, freshly moulded insoles/shells isn’t the greatest idea, as you could end up deforming them – I was told to leave them at least 24hrs before wearing them round the house)

I’m a little cynical about the footbed game. Its very easy for fitters to say that you have to have them, as very few punters have the knowledge to disagree. Mine have certainly given more arch support, and Benji reckoned my knees where tracking straighter when I crouched too. That said, I’ve skied quite happily for the last 3 years without, and I doubt I’ve suddenly become Bode Miller as a result of a couple of bits of heat moulded plastic.

gonefishin
    Free Member

And I reckon everyone can benefit from some custom-moulded footbeds

This.  A million times this.  If you can spring for custom liners (not the heat moulded things) then even better.  Mine are now over 10 years old with may be 20 weeks of skiing in them and are a comfortable as they are supportive.  Best money I ever spent on any piece of sporting equipment.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just like any sport there is a lot of bollocks in skiing to get you to part with more cash.

If you go to someone saying you want a boot fitting they will fit it for you to make ££££

Personally I would go and try every brand on the market.  You know when you have the boot that’s right for you as it will fit you like a glove and allow you to flex at the ankle in a non awkward fashion.  It should feel cossetting and slight pressure all over the foot/lower leg.  If its loose at any point, or tight at any point it aint for you.

If they need to start blowing out huge chunks of the boot or narrowing it etc then its not the boot for you.

I know what boots fit me, back in the day it was Raichle that then went bust.  Full Tilt bought their moulds and I now have their boots which I just bought off the internet, because I know they fit me.

Having said that, with age your foot spreads, so they were getting a bit pinchy on the outside edge of the foot.  Out in resort I asked them to stretch the shell out slightly.  Cost me £10 for both boots.

And yes footbeds every time.  Just help keep you stable and relieve any pressure points under the foot.

poly
    Free Member

I bought boots about 10 yrs ago in a sale in Blues/Tiso.  It was a very busy day and I was “sold” boots which were actually the wrong size for me. I was disappointed that all the promise of owning your own boots being much better than hiring never delivered. It took several seasons to work out the problem, then I eventually just hired a pair (same brand, not quite as good a spec and One size up).  I went from being nearly crippled by 2pm to a moderate grimace at 5!  I needed some boots for a half day recently at glencoe and just stuck on my old ones thinking I was kidding myself on how bad they were.  I can confirm I will never be using them again.

moral of the story?  Beware the sale days – I’m sure the fitter was normally very good and spends several hours with each customer as people normally report.  she spent an hour with me, and despite never having seen me ski was keen to tell me my “skiing style” which she was almost certainly buttering me up for more expensive needs – I am a total mincer on skis, and stiff, heavy boots don’t improve my ability.

mccraque

Not all, but a number of English shops tend to sell boots that are too small for the buyer. This is not my opinion, but that of my Austrian boot fitter friend from St Anton who’s shop is constantly supplying said folk with either new boots or a rental. You’re in the boots all day, assuming you are a recreational skier so you don’t need ultra stiff, ultra tight race boots that you need to unclip due to the pain at the end of each run.

Having owned a few pairs…you just know. As has been said above. if they’re having to blow the shell or you’ve loose bits straight off the bat – look at a different brand.

I think the best description for a good boot was one that felt like a good handshake.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks to this thread I’ve just picked up a bargain pair of boots from Craigdon (Perth). I can’t believe how better fitted they feel compared to my old boots – and a modpoint smaller too. Thanks kennyp ⛷😀

kennyp
    Free Member

What about the the Freeze Pro Shop in South Gyle Industrial estate?

Cheers, didn’t know the place even existed. Will go have a look.

And thanks for all the other bits of advice too, much appreciated. Will be having a good hunt around over the next few weeks.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

As has been said above. if they’re having to blow the shell or you’ve loose bits straight off the bat – look at a different brand.

Surely that depends on your feet oddnesses? In my case they blew the outside of my right boot a fraction – exactly the same problem I have with road shoes – I can have bucket loads of room alongside my big toe, but as soon as the footwear is done up my little toe get crushed against the side of the boot. Bontrager road shoes work OK for me. The Salomon ski boots I ended up buying are a lovely fit elsewhere – indeed the way they hold my heel is spectacular (like a thumb and forefinger gently grabbing me either side of my Achilles), compared to having to crank the instep binding right down to stop my heel lifting, but that extra little bit of room from the stretch is well worth it in long term comfort,

claudie

After getting loads of advice on here, my wife bought her boots in the resort. Service was great and quick, went in when shop was not busy, and told she could ski in them all day and come back if no good. They definitely cost more but I think it is well worth it for something that you can try on the slopes rather than in the shop, especially as you will own them for a long time

mccraque

Surely that depends on your feet oddnesses? In my case they blew the outside of my right boot a fraction – exactly the same problem I have with road shoes – I can have bucket loads of room alongside my big toe, but as soon as the footwear is done up my little toe get crushed against the side of the boot.

You’re absolutely right – but that isn’t quite what I meant. If you have a pressure point on one foot or minor alterations, then that is what the process is for. I was more referring to the process of wholesale changes from the off to shoehorn yourself into a specific boot where perhaps another pair altogether would be the better option.

jimmy

Kenny, I just bought a pair in Tiso sale. Helpful staff and free adjustments if needed after using them (if I ever get to….). Craigdon good, too, and Freeze Pro Sport (?) now at the Gyle.

globalti
    Free Member

I don’t know why more recreational skiers don’t buy ski touring boots; they’re much lighter, slightly more flexible and hence more comfortable with fewer fit issues, they have Vibram soles and a flex release so you can walk around the resort easily and they are quick and easy to put on and take off. The disadvantage? You have slightly less control but for the average recreational skier that really doesn’t matter.

IainAhh
    Free Member

“We used to take the liner out & get the customer to put their foot in the shell with the toes touching the end, if you can fit 2 fingers behind the heel the size is about right.”

Above is great advice for a good fitting boot. If it is too long particularly you will never get a good fit with heal lift = pain. Personally i would go a little closer fitting than 2 fingers. Ignore the boot size / chart it is all to do with fit.
    Most folk buy a boot that is too big. It should only be slightly longer than your foot (so you don’t bang your toes) and fairly snug width wise. Bigger or smaller inners than the shell size can also be used. Always go smaller shell if you can.

Many boots now come with thermo liners for a custom fit and usually can be done a few times.
    You can do this yourself with a sock full of rice and a microwave. See vids on youtube,

There is quite a lot you can do to improve the fit. Decent insoles like super feet with the right arch support help.
    A custom fitting service as suggested above like Allan Baxter is well worth it if you have odd shaped feet or struggle to get a good fit. They know all the tricks to help you get a good / comfortable fit.

At home (or in the shop) the boot should be quite tight, especially when new. You can revise / adjust after skiing a day or too, There are loads good deals on boots on ebay or sales if you know your size. A shop is only any good if the person serving you knows how to fit boots. If they do that’s going to help you loads.

andykentos
    Free Member

Having roughly browsed through this post, i would recommend buying in a place where you can test the boots.  I have worked in Craigdon in Perth and they are very good at fitting boots.

I now work in the Austrian alps in a shop and we allow people to test ski boots, one hour and if you dont buy the boots you pay a days rental price.  If the boot is not good you can test another on the same day included in the 10 euros.

Included if you buy the boot is stretching the shell if required.  I have lost count of the number of people that have come in and said their boots hurt and have been sold the wrong size.  Happens insanely often.  I would always test the shoe out before i laid down 400 euros on it.

Ideally try and find somewhere you can test the shoe before you commit.

sweaman2
    Free Member

“I don’t know why more recreational skiers don’t buy ski touring boots”

Except for specific Alpine Touring bindings (e.g Marker F12 Tour)  the DIN / release of a touring boot is different  (less reliable, less planes of motion) if you use a ski touring boot with a normal Alpine binding.  Given current liability concerns etc I’m don’t think many shops are going to set up a set of rental skis with Alpine bindings and a touring boot.

giant_scum
    Free Member

If your thinking of having a look in Decathlon, I’d hurry up!

As they are thinning the skiing stock down to make way for the camping gear.

I was in the Braehead one today and there was about a quarter of one aisle with ski stuff!

footflaps

>Except for specific Alpine Touring bindings (e.g Marker F12 Tour)  the DIN / release of a touring boot is different  (less reliable, less planes of motion) if you use a ski touring boot with a normal Alpine binding.

This, the contact area is tiny compared with a normal DH binding, which is way more robust and probably has a more consistent release performance in the event of a crash.

boblo
    Free Member

And touring boots are much more expensive than ‘normal’ piste bashing boots. At least £400 vs £200.

andykentos
    Free Member

Touring boot with a rubber sole should not be in a normal ski binding.  Hence why nobody tries to sell touring boots to joe bloggs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Buying Ski Boots’ is closed to new replies.