• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Buying an iMac and kcrs
  • burko73

I’ve done the research and am gonna buy an iMac 21.5″ model with the fusion drive and retina.

Where to buy?

Not available from JL so it’s either apple direct or kcrs?

What’s the deal with kcrs, why can they offer cheaper prices than apple? What if something breaks/ fails, are they good to deal with warranty wise?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Not sure if this is any use.. HUKD

ajantom

Do you know any teachers or students? You/they can get pretty good discounts from Apple.
    I got nearly 15% off my iMac a few years ago. Should have been 10%, but they didn’t have the exact model in stock to take away that day. So I settled for an upgrade and a better discount. Shame!

zilog6128

Apple refurb.

spw3

KRCS are sound.

I’ve always bought my macs from Apple Refurb though.

somouk
    Free Member

KRCS or apple refurb are good, teacher/student discount is good if you can get it also.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Costco? If you know someone with membership assuming you don’t.

the-muffin-man

KCRS are fine – I’ve been buying Macs off them since the the early ’90s.

Try http://www.jigsaw24.com too, they are also good.

AdamW
    Free Member

If you want something that isn’t shipped to store, e.g. more memory or a different disk drive to what is sold at shops then KRCS etc. will basically go to Apple themselves and place the order.

If you want standard, off the shelf stuff I’d go to KRCS (bought my first iMac from them). If you want to max out the memory (as you can’t do it later) then go to Apple direct.

bluebird
    Free Member

If you want to max out the memory (as you can’t do it later) then go to Apple direct.

You can add more memory to an iMac. Crucial UK offer all sorts of memory and drive self-fit upgrades.

ajantom

You can add more memory to an iMac. Crucial UK offer all sorts of memory and drive self-fit upgrades.

And it’s a hell ova lot cheaper too! Apple seem to want to charge you about £180 for 8gb of RAM!

funkybaj
    Free Member

KRCS are good, and best priced currently as they have 10% off the iMac range. We ordered two for work just yesterday. Their sales guy mentioned that the current offer beats even the education discount.

AdamW
    Free Member

Have they redesigned the kit? I thought that only on 27″ imacs you can add more memory. I thought on the smaller ones they were welded to the motherboard and fixed.

From here at apple:

• Memory is not removable by users on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), and iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014). If the memory in one of these computers needs to be replaced, contact an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you’d like to upgrade the memory in one of these models, an Apple Authorized Service Provider can help.
    • Memory in iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015) and iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) is not upgradeable.

ajantom

Ah. didn’t know they’d hardwired in the RAM on the 21.5″ models. That’s crap! Means you’re tied into their extortionate RAM upgrade prices.

For the same price as a new 21.5″, you could probably get a refurbed couple of years old 27″ with a similar spec.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Or maybe get a Mac Mini and a half decent monitor. You can upgrade those things to your hearts content.

burko73

Ordered from kcrs with 16gb ram and a fusion drive. Should give me a few yrs use!

chrismac

Another vote for Apple refurb. I was to.do by the chap in the apple shop when my imac was getting a new HD on the warranty that the referb site get a better warranty than the shop bought ones. Referb site come with European warranty not a uk one. I presume it’s something to do with where the purchase is deemed to be made legally

burko73

Is the uk not in Europe at the present time then? I know some fu£&wits voted to leave (my own views) but as far as I remember we are still in and a European warranty ought to be available to us in the U.K.?

iolo
    Free Member

I got my macbook pro repaired under warranty in Austria. I bought it in the uk direct from Apple.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Buying an iMac and kcrs’ is closed to new replies.