• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ad4m.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying a used shock
  • ad4m
    Free Member

As the title says. Came across a Fox X2 for my bike at a great price, seller claims it’s only had 50km of ride time and is selling it on as it is too much shock for him.

But is it a good idea to purchase a second hand shock? Is there questions I could ask the seller that could paint a better picture of the shock condition? The pictures of it show it to be in great condition however.

Just basically looking for any opinions/advice before going any further.

mildred

I’ve always trusted to the pics and never been let down.

If it’s genuinely been used so little he won’t be able to produce service proof as he won’t have had one yet. If it’s a good deal and a decent chunk less than new then go for it; worst thing that will happen is you having to stump up for a service.

Poopscoop

The last 3 shox I’ve bought have been second hand.

jakehinton
    Free Member

In my experience don’t buy a secondhand ccdb air.

timbog160

I’ve sold 2 shocks recently in similar condition and put a pic of the invoice to show it was nearly new.

Northwind

I’ve never bought a new shock- used ones (and used frames) plenty of times though. You can usually make a decent estimate based on condition, mileage always shows up just in the cosmetics. A basic can service won’t hurt either and takes literal minutes.

mashr

Bought several second hand over the years, only one that’s ever been a bit annoying was an air Cane Creek as previously mentioned. If you go into it accepting that you might need a service in the not too distance future you’ll be fine. OTOH:

is selling it on as it is too much shock for him.

This is definitely bollocks. There are good shocks and bad shocks, but no shock is “too much”

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

This is definitely bollocks. There are good shocks and bad shocks, but no shock is “too much”

Not necessarily at all, The X2 is a big old shock, which is a pain to set up right. If it’s on a trail bike, it probably is far too much shock for most people 🙂

With regards to the original question, i’d have no issues with buying a second hand shock, I have done it in the past and I will do it in the future.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

*Cynic Warning*
    If it’s that new and he doesn’t have an invoice then it’s off a bike that’s been nicked and stripped.

(Speaking as someone who had a battered and loved G160 with a new DPX2 on that was nicked with only about 5 rides on it)

tomhoward

I don’t have an invoice of any of the shocks I own, as they all came on bikes I bought…

stevied
    Free Member

Last time I bought used I had the seller ship to TF and factored in a tune/service.
    That way if there was any obvious faults TF would find it.

My last shock was from the Mojo sale though.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

In that case they probably don’t have only 50KM on them and if you only had the bike for 50KM then you probably have some evidence of the purchase…

If we all stop buying kit at those “too good to be true” prices the market for stolen items shrinks thus discouraging the initial theft.

The person advertising the shock just needs to provide something..anything to back up the story. An X2 is a pricey bit of kit to apparently impulse purchase then decide “it’s too much” and try to move on.

ad4m
    Free Member

Cheers for all the opinions, I think I will ask him if I can see an invoice just to see if its genuine. Apart from that, seems like there isn’t any issues with buying 2nd hand, as I don’t mind if it needs a service.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying a used shock’ is closed to new replies.