Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Buying a used car from a main dealer that breaks.
  • alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Can anybody offer any advice.
    As I have mentioned in a previous post, we bought a newer Honda CRV last month. It had 10050 mile on the clock, we added about 150miles and all the sensors started coming on. The tire pressure; TSA and VSA warmings and check system.
    It has now been back at Honda for five weeks being repaired. Various bollocks about how it was fixed, not fixed, being tested and waiting for a part.
    They gave us a 14 plate civic initially but when’s wife complains they have have given us a CRV.
    They are changing the wiring loom to fix the fault.
    Where do we stand about getting the car changed for another one?

Or are able to negotiate for the warranty to be extended for the whole car and not just the wiring.

The car still has four months warranty

project
    Free Member

Repair/ replace /refund says sale of goods act, your choice not theirs.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Reject it and get a refund. It will always be trouble.
    Get a Forester instead!

totalshell

reject formally the cars a crock of sand.. get rid dont accept extended warranty.. run a mile..

thehustler
    Free Member

Repair/ replace /refund says sale of goods act, your choice not theirs.

Wrong…..legislation is subject to interpretation by both retailer and customer, the stupid wording in sale of goods act is ‘reasonable timescale’.

At five weeks i would say it has passed the ‘reasonable’ (4wks is assumed in most cases but never been tested in law so still gives bad retailers ‘wiggle’ room) so would be pushing for the refund.

br
    Free Member

While I’d be asking for a replacement, you can’t knock their commitment to you so far – attempting to fix the problem while giving you a decent loaner.

Rather than going in all guns blazing I would book an appointment with a senior manager to ‘discuss’ the/your options.

Be quite clear in what you want, and why. Lose any emotion and concentrate on the facts – “you want to reject the car due to the failures” and “concerned of having a ‘fixed’ car that then goes wrong”.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry I would be quite firm and reject. The dealer will then try a deal where either its a straight swap for a worse car/mileage or it involves you giving money. 5weeks is ridicilous. Get a new deal that is a clear admission/goodwill in your favour or a full refund. Did you pay any part on finance? I used Toyota finance once on a car. Rejected the car in under a day after I rang them rather than messing around with the full of excuses main dealer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

One things certain i would not want that crv back. Im with hora.

It will rattle and squeek for ever more and have electrical gremlins coming out of its ears.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It certainly sounds like a bad car, very unusual for a Honda. If you can get a replacement. What I may not sure of is if you are entitled to a replacement as you bought used. Currently they will be fixing the car under the Honda warranty so it’s not costing them any money (they could even be making money on the repairs)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Friday afternoon car!
    Slightly different I know but I recently after advice from here got a macbook replaced under SOGA. Was 4 months old, they didn’t like doing it but I stood my ground.

Euro
    Free Member

I had a similar dilemma last year when i changed car, only is was engine/turbo issues. In the first 2 weeks of ownership i had the car for 3 days – the remainder of the time it was in getting ‘fixed’. Stupidly i’d chosen a dealer that was half way across the country and having to drive back and forth in limp mode was a pain. Each time it was fixed, something else would go wrong on the way home.

I had lost all confidence in the car ever running right and although the garage were helpful with a loan car and trying their best to keep me happy i didn’t want it anymore (they had nothing else i wanted that i could afford so an exchange was out). I was expecting them to protest when i brought it back for the final time and had prepared a strongly worded letter (template from some website) referring to the sales of good act and all that. The plan was to drop it on the table and try to look as angry as possible. Luckily it didn’t come to that. I told them unless they’d replace the engine i’d be rejecting the car and would like a full refund. After a few minutes where the owner and the salesman had a little huddle, they give me my money back, plus the extra it cost me to insure the courtesy car for the two weeks without too much of a fuss.

If you are happy with the service of the dealer (but not the car) then i’d go for a swap. If not then you are well within your rights to get a refund and go elsewhere.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This is the problem with modern cars, or rather modern dealers. You never get the confidence that even the main dealers have any clue at all as to how to trace a fault and fix it and it often ends up being a trial end error ‘replace and hope’ tactic, which might fix the car, but you’d never have the confidence they’d fixed it for good or just addressed the symptom, and that you won’t have more issues a year or so further down the line. For that reason I’d be pushing for a replacement.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Not sure I see the problem. Cars are complex things, they can go wrong. If you’re buying a modern car then more so, although Honda’s less than most. You got a very decent loan car in the first instance. They are fitting a new loom. If that’s fixes the problem, what’s the beef?

If they left you carless while it was being fixed or offered some tatty old jazz then I’d be miffed. If the car comes back and it’s as bad or worse than before then I would want a refund / replacement. If they refused to put things right I’d be getting legal. But right now it sounds like they are trying it sort it out and you’re just being impatient.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys

wobbliscott – Member
    This is the problem with modern cars, or rather modern dealers. You never get the confidence that even the main dealers have any clue at all as to how to trace a fault and fix it and it often ends up being a trial end error ‘replace and hope’ tactic, which might fix the car, but you’d never have the confidence they’d fixed it for good or just addressed the symptom, and that you won’t have more issues a year or so further down the line. For that reason I’d be pushing for a replacement.

This is how I feel about it 🙁

peakyblinder – Member
    Not sure I see the problem. Cars are complex things, they can go wrong. If you’re buying a modern car then more so, although Honda’s less than most. You got a very decent loan car in the first instance. They are fitting a new loom. If that’s fixes the problem, what’s the beef?

If they left you carless while it was being fixed or offered some tatty old jazz then I’d be miffed. If the car comes back and it’s as bad or worse than before then I would want a refund / replacement. If they refused to put things right I’d be getting legal. But right now it sounds like they are trying it sort it out and you’re just being impatient.

Yes I am being impatient. 150 miles and 90 of them were on one journey is all it has traveled since purchase.I didn’t spend 16k on a car to be driving another lower spec one. If I wanted a 1.6l with no toys inside I would have purchased one. 😕

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Get a grip! Do you not read your posts back and think “maybe there is an element of self-entitlement creeping into my life”? I still can’t believe you complained after being given a Civic loan car.

There’s people out there running old bangers because that’s all they can afford or have no car at all. You will in the end get the car you paid for. Just focus on some other more important aspect of your life in the meantime.

Sorry if I sound harsh but I’m flicking back and forth between StW and BBC News here and you have no idea how ridiculous this sort of stuff reads in a wider context.

wrightyson
    Free Member

^^wtf^^
    In which context, there is no context! He worked hard no doubt to get the money to buy the car. It has absolutely no bearing on what is happening on BBC news!

sharkbait
    Free Member

It has absolutely no bearing on what is happening on BBC news!

Exactly. Yes, there are many many people worse off than the OP, but that’s not his fault (the same as it’s not your fault either) and does not change the fact that he has paid for a car that has failed almost immediately and he quite rightly wants it fixing.
    OP – it seems the dealership are being pretty good about this and I’m sure they want the car out of their way ASAP. They are not denying there’s a problem and I’m sure you’ll be sorted soon enough.
    Think of it this way….. you’re currently enjoying the ownership of a CRV without putting miles on your own car 🙂

MartynS

ry if I sound harsh but I’m flicking back and forth between StW and BBC News here and you have no idea how ridiculous this sort of stuff reads

You don’t sound harsh at all… You sound like a bit of an idiot.
    Yep, bad things are happening in the world. To suggest the OP HAS “an element of self entitlement creeping into his life” however is plain daft

I’m not convinced you actually believe what your writing..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

OK so there are people worse off than me in the world so I have to chastise myself, live in a perpetual state of guilt and allow people to take advantage of me and not complain because I don’t know i’ve been born? Utter nonsense.

It’s a simple case of a car that has been sold that very soon after has developed a fault (which in all likelihood the dealer knew about) and it is not unreasonable for the purchaser to expect the seller to deal with the fault. If they fix it then great, but the dilemma that i’m sympathising with is that in the context of cars that you will not be satisfied that the dealer has actually fixed the problem and that it won’t be a problem in the future.

If the dealer can confirm a positive fault with a component, replaces it and it fixes the car, then fair enough – a job well done. However I suspect that won’t be the case – why are they replacing the loom? Because they’ve identified a positive fault or just as a ‘replace and hope’ because they have no clue? Has the removed loom got a short circuit in it? a broken connector? A chaffed wire? It is, after all, just a bundle of wires, so if they replace it and none of the faults listed above are confirmed and the car suddenly works then how can they guarantee they’ve fixed the fault? That is the dilemma. its a new car to the owner, so the dealer has an obligation for a short period of time to make sure the new owner is satisfied with the purchase. they they are not and they cannot fix it then it is perfectly reasonable to ask for a replacement.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Well, his context may be as you say, he worked hard for his money and so he expects exactly what he wants, how he wants it and when he wants it with no excuses because his effort/money talks.

Another context can be, some bloke is whining about not have his car fixed fast enough for his liking on the web while mine is broke and I can’t afford to replace it.

Another might be, we sold this car in good faith, turns out there was a problem with it. We took it in to put it right and gave him a nearly new car as a loan, but turns out that wasn’t good enough so his we had his missus on complaining. We have made every effort to make sure the car is fixed, which means we tested the car properly after each remedy rather than hand it back still broke – but this has only aggravated him more. You just can’t please some people.

Context is everything. Else it’s just words.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If they fix it then great, but the dilemma that i’m sympathising with is that in the context of cars that you will not be satisfied that the dealer has actually fixed the problem and that it won’t be a problem in the future.

If you want this sort of peace of mind then buy a new car and not a used one. The dealer is replacing the loom because the fault may be caused by one of many connections/wires having a fault (and prob because Honda have told them to) – if it fixes the problem I think they can safely say job done but that’s as far as their responsibility goes. If the OP doesn’t like the idea that the car has had a new section of loom then I suspect it’s tough titties – sell the car because the dealership has fulfilled their obligations.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I would accept the repair and ask for an extended 12 month warranty. Honda have a reputation to uphold and i would use this as a bargaining tool.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

I’m not convinced you actually believe what your writing.

On the contrary, as much as you might believe I am an idiot, I really do think he sod all to complain about but has still taken to the internetz to do so. The fact that he found sympathy among the armchair mechanics and lawyers of STW isn’t a surprise though.

Gary_C

OP:

Can anybody offer any advice.

Yes, why not talk to the citizens advice bureau/trading standards about your situation & see what they say instead of listening to the misinformation off some of the armchair ‘experts’ on here.

This isn’t a dig at you btw.

EDIT: Just a thought, but why not try contacting the previous keeper listed on the V5 & ask them if they had any similar issues with the car to what your experiencing? If they say they had & that it was traded in because of it, & that the dealer knew about the issues it may help your case.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I think the OP is being very patient. If I spent £16k on a car and it went fut after 150 miles, the dealers would be having it back for keeps.

prettygreenparrot

It sounds like you’ve already accepted a repair. Although maybe the dealer insisted on that as part of the warranty set up.

I’d push for replacement or refund.

Unsure where the Civic fits in. I guess it is a ‘courtesy car’ whilst yours is being worked on. Not something to complain about really. Although I understand you’re irked.

If you bought on finance or paid any part with a credit card you have additional rights under the terms of the consumer credit act.

Cars are tricky things to deal with compared to e.g. a garment or even a computer (noting the 4 month macbook example). Nonetheless the SOGA applies.

I do tend to agree with suburbanreuben though. I’d not trust a car that failed in what appears to be a difficult to diagnose and treat way.

hora
    Free Member

Peakyblinder. Try to offer positive advice on topics not negative noise please.

spooky_b329

Did you buy it Honda Approved Used?

Pretty sure when we got our Civic just over a year ago they said we can bring it back and change for something else if not happy (presumably within a certain timeframe.

Lovely car but the only one that has given us any real issues (2009 with 80k) Radio broke and had to drive around for several weeks without it or a hazard switch (sent off for repair), central instrument display failed (fixed by dealer) creaking suspension (fixed on second dealer visit, grit in wishbones, known fault) and then we had the famous clutch pressure plate distortion meaning new clutch needed (negotiated with Honda UK and got free parts, 1.75hrs labour paid and warranty rate at £65/hour for the remaining 4hrs)

peakyblinder
    Free Member

hora – if that’s some new forum rule that only positive life affirming comments are allowed, whether you agree with the OP or not, then you have got a lot threads to go and repeat that post in to plenty of other members.

cookeaa

Had a very similar issue to the Op earlier this year with a used Cmax. The fault occurred within a week of picking up the car and simply wasn’t being fixed after four return vists to the dealer… returned it for a full refund but the key thing that worked in my favour was keeping a log of everything from the first fault occurring, to every bit of email and verbal communication, also when I returned the car I got a template letter for a SOGA return of a car from the Martin Lewis site, just so they knew I wasn’t going to be pissed about…

They offered me a free warranty to try and slide out of responsibility, but I was firm, I either wanted a working car, or my money back.

Get shot now OP, your well within your SOGA rights, it’s not unreasonable to expect a car to function correctly for more than 150 miles. Repair timescales should also be reasonable, and a month is not reasonable.

Be clear, state key dates and times, don’t get nasty or sweary and only if they dig in their heels start talking trading standards…
    Good luck.

hora
    Free Member

Peaky you werent contributing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nothing good ever came of replacing a loom in a modern car, ill bet it causes more issues down the line than its solved immediate term

I would never be happy with that car.

You have bought a nearly new car and its a pig in a poke….. Could quite easily have happened with a new car in 150 miles and they would be recieving the same request. Id no longer want that car.

I didnt pay to buy a nearly new car that a garage took to bits and reassembled most of, there will likely be broken clips and missed screws

That said , it could come back and be fine but instances of that seem few and far between where ive seen looms replaced.

Id say you probably found the reason its on the forecourt, previous owner got fed up of chasing faults round the car, id be willing to bet it isnt something that developed in the last 150 miles

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Peaky you werent contributing.

Er, I’ve contributed. All I’ve told him is what I would want my mates to tell me in the same situation. I.E, get some perspective and have some patience, there is nothing to suggest he’s being stiffed and will in all likelihood come out of it with his chosen car in perfect working order in the end. Honda do have a pretty good record for sorting these issues out, compared to many other companies.

Anyway, who made you the internet police and arbiter of what is an acceptable contribution?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Honda do have a pretty good record for sorting these issues out, compared to many other companies.

Lol, and you complain about armchair mechanics.

Honda are no better or worse, they are very good at denying faults exist even when presented with literally hundreds of individual cases. Try getting a warranty fix on an electronic steering rack and see where it gets you.

Your point is stupid, your logic is stupid and quite frankly it just makes you look stupid. Entitlement has nothing to do with it, he asked for advice and all you can do is criticise, maybe just say nothing at all if you don’t have anything constructive to say.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Oh I look stupid? Oh right, thanks for pointing that out. Might just be me but using stupid 3 times in a sentence doesn’t sound right. Maybe mix it up a bit, throw in a “moronic” or a “thick” to really hammer the point home.

On the Honda thing – the last survey I saw Honda had the 3rd best rep for handling complaints without hassle and that seems to be what they are doing here. Do they have problems? All car brands do but in general they are one of the better ones.

Got anything constructive to add? Or you just want to sound off on me again? Fill your boots.

Cougar

Anyway, who made you the internet police and arbiter of what is an acceptable contribution?

He’s not.

I, however, am. You’ve made your point and I’m sure it’s been taken on board. Now hush, adults are talking.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Oh right, you’ll be just the person I need to speak to then. I need banning please, can you help? If you’re not busy trying to sound all power ranger or patronising people? Just to be clear…… Go **** yourself 🙂

Cougar

Moderating is a tricksy business, but sometimes these little problems just fix themselves.

Drac

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1tmkAFb_Os[/video]

squirrelking
    Free Member

LMAO.

Peaky, you have no idea what you’re talking about, as a Honda owner I think I do. Nothing much to add as it’s all been said before, right up to the point where you barged in and started making a twunt of yourself.

It’s at times like this I miss DW and 1nten5e, this would have been comedy gold…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Buying a used car from a main dealer that breaks.’ is closed to new replies.