• This topic has 74 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WTF.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Burnley Council in Brexit sense of humour shocker….
  • matt_outandabout

It’s what most people use.

It’s what most folk are still forced to use – a halfway, half hearted decimalisation.

Schools have not taught inches/feet/miles for years.

I personally would go full decimal for roads, weights and measures, paths etc.

If I leave it long enough the dinosaurs will die off. 😉

edlong
    Free Member

I foolishly ventured “below the line” on the Express site, I’m not proud, I was curious, okay?

Anyway not on this, but a comment on a linked article about some old fool touring the country ripping down metric signs made me chuckle

What next, a campaign to bring back diptheria?

sbob
    Free Member

Good find. 😆

globalti
    Free Member

I prefer the Alpine convention of showing distances in time: “Refuge des Ecrins: 3h40” Much more relevant, especially when almost half your time is spent in ascending or descending.

GrahamS

showing distances in time

Makes sense as that is how most people actually think:
    “How far is it to X from here?”
    “About 10 minutes walk”

But less useful if you are dealing with multiple different kinds of transport (i.e. foot, bike or horse)

ThePinkster

So remind me, how many chains is it to the town centre?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

So remind me, how many chains is it to the town centre?

Just over 119.

GrahamS

I like the response to the guy who says:

At this rate it won’t belong before all our signs EVERYWHERE will be written in Arabic. Then, we’ll KNOW we’ve lost.

Responder points out that the numbers are Arabic already and maybe we should go back to Roman numerals? 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Responder points out that the numbers are Arabic already and maybe we should go back to Roman numerals?

😆

jimdubleyou

Tabloids use The Register’s standards:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

5 Double-decker buses = 0.3333 Brontosaurus(i?)

😀

kelvin

Don’t joke… people will be demanding we do use Roman Numerals soon…

(bet you a guinea)

Cougar

I’m amazed there hasn’t been a pounds / shillings / pence campaign yet.

miketually
    Free Member

showing distances in time

We’ve got those for cycle routes. I think the times are based on somebody crawling.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

So what’s the issue? KM makes perfect sense

Oh the irony.

Kelvin Mega?

yep, makes perfect sense.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Certain things sound much better when measured in centimetres rather than a measly few inches – do the Councillors have hidden complexes?!?

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I shared that on facebook last week. I think a friend commented that it sounded like a Daily mash article.

scotroutes

Bruce – Member
    Could the council not teach the people who are outraged to divide the km by 8 and multiply by 5 for a rough conversion?

You really think your average Brexiter has that amount of brain power?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Speeds are indicated in mph. Distances in miles. The signage rules are based on consistency. 15 years ago Buckingham had nice new black and gold cast iron signs in the town centre using metres.
    They had to be replaced because it was simply wrong.
    Change the rules by all means but respect thmm while they are there. I totally agree that metric is the way forward but I still default to imperial for many things – I’ll miss miles when they go, but not too much.

mintimperial

Are some weird people walking about with imperial maps or something?

I met a lost American tourist on the edge of Kinder Scout last June (on the 23rd, as it happens, I was hiding from all the bullshit). She was using a 1940s 1″/mile map, bought in some second-hand shop because it was the only map she could find in units she could understand. She was a bit baffled by the map’s lack of correspondence with paths on the ground, but I pointed her towards safety and I didn’t hear that anyone died in a bog or anything that day so presumably she survived.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Apart from arsehole cyclists, I don’t know who measures distance in Kilometers. Top trolling by Burnley council though 😀

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’d have put miles, makes more sense to more people.
    Failing that put both units of measurement on, there’s enough room on the sign.

Gary_C

I’d have put miles, makes more sense to more people.
    Failing that put both units of measurement on, there’s enough room on the sign.

We’re talking about people from Bonleh here, the above would be too much for their inbred dingle brains to comprehend.

😉

CountZero

not on my strava feed

Something that’s only of any interest to obsessive cyclists trying to one-up themselves to other obsessive cyclists.
    I know only one person who uses it, and nobody else at all who would even know wtf it is.
    I also don’t know anybody who uses metric distance measurements, same as for work I’ve used metric for the last forty-odd years. Along with points, ems and ens for thirty-odd; such things can co-exist, except in the minds of those who can only imagine one system of measuring things in use at any one time.

cranberry
    Free Member

Change the rules by all means but respect thmm while they are there. I totally agree that metric is the way forward but I still default to imperial for many things – I’ll miss miles when they go, but not too much.

I have a strange love of imperial units and not just at lunch when I discuss things with my German, Dutch and Italian friends and delight in confusing and winding them up a little bit- they are part of the country I grew up in, a little part of all British people.

Metric measurements started to make more sense as soon as the pocket calculator got invented, but I don’t want to see them implemented ( and certainly not by the back door as in this case ). I have my satnav set to Kilometres in Europe and Miles in the UK – given the mess that we have regarding official measurements in the UK I don’t think that people have too much trouble converting between the 2 systems when they need to.

Even those that voted for Brexit.

😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Great programme on Sky Arts about the Eighties, all the political upheaval and such.
    I just saw the Wall come down all over again.

GrahamS

Speeds are indicated in mph. Distances in miles. The signage rules are based on consistency

Pretty sure those Road Traffic Signage regulations apply to road traffic signs, not signs for pedestrians/cyclists on paths through woods.

I also don’t know anybody who uses metric distance measurements

Even when walking/cycling? Anyone who refers to an OS map likely uses at least some metric measurement. OS Grid Refs are metric!

onewheelgood

Refuge des Ecrins: 3h40″

What’s that in microfortnights?

mattyfez

When I started out riding a few years back, I used to record in Km on my phone app.

But now I’m a double hard bastard, I’ve switched to miles so I can feel more superior. A hundred miles is much more harderer than 100km.

A yard is the area behind my house. It is not a legitimate unit of measurement. Unless you’re familiar with the size of my yard.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

All this talk of kilometers instead of miles would have meant that great music would never have been made.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otXGqU4LBEI[/video]
    😆

scotroutes

I use km off-road and miles for on-road.

I much prefer km – it suits the OS mapping better, but I often can’t be arsed doing the mental arithmetic when riding on the roads and using the information on road signs. It’s fine when you’re wide awake and alert but confusing when you’re tired.

maycontainnuts

Pah, signs can change to km, pints can change to half litres, speeds to km/h. But the real change over will come when penis measurements are in mm.

nick1962
    Free Member

Surely it’s all a sign 😉 of cultural hegemony.What about metric time? That didn’t last did it but would be easier if decimalised surely? Lots of cultures have had their own systems of measurement but had to kowtow to the Western or in this case French system(s).

oldnpastit

davidtaylforth – Member

Apart from arsehole cyclists, I don’t know who measures distance in Kilometers. Top trolling by Burnley council though

Too obvious, but nice try….

WTF
    Free Member

Burnley should just do the same as signposting on Forth and Clyde canal and keep you guessing?

On looking at that again can you have 6 1/2 Kms?

WTF
    Free Member

Just to add to confusion on same canal.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Burnley Council in Brexit sense of humour shocker….’ is closed to new replies.