Home Forums Bike Forum Builth wells spring marathon, can it be a mudfest ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Builth wells spring marathon, can it be a mudfest ?
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Just entered the Builth spring marathon (early april) having never ridden in that area, I am keen to know what is the general ground condition usual like there, what sort of terrain is it on ? open moorland ? boggy fields ?? etc. The main reason for the probing is to find out whether its very prone to being muddy. I rode a similar course to the Ruthin Merida on the clwydian range yesterday for training and it was very muddy and whilst good for training I was completely on the wrong tyres/setup, so would rather not make the same mistake. So is the Builth ground type well draining and all year round riding, or is a potential Somme waiting to happen if it rains ?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

last years spring marathon was very dry for the two week before the event (although cold) and this led to an amazing marathon generally located north-east of builth wells on some ace sheep tracks and moorland, but previous years events (2007 and 2008) have been mud fests and the route is on the usual bridleways and forests south of builth wells, just a pity about the final road section (must have been about 9km on road)

i tend not to enter until the last week (as i'd rather not spend £30 on a crap route in the mud) but i do believe they leave the final routes open until nearer the event just to take into account of the recent weather

Skyliner
    Free Member

Did it in 2007 and it was mud mud mud ALL the way. I specifically remember a section that was bog up to the axles for at least 5 miles. At one of the feeding stations one of the organisers who lives locally said "The going is always soft even in good weather"! Thin nobbly tyres should be the trick! Best of luck for the day mate.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Thanks guys, dont mind the mud that much provided I have the right gear, looks like I will be looking for some Medusas then

crazy-legs

Done it in both mud and dry, last year the Big Night Out was super dry and really fast and even the main course on the Sunday was mostly dry.

As chunkypaul says ^^, I'd leave it til the last minute…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Builth wells spring marathon, can it be a mudfest ?’ is closed to new replies.