Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Building a TT bike
  • flange
    Free Member

So..I’ve unfinished business with TT’s and as my back currently won’t let me ride the MTB it looks like I’m stuck on the road for now. Whilst I enjoy road/crit racing I fancy getting back into doing TT’s.

Now, I KNOW I can use my existing road bike and will do short term. But I fancy having a proper stab at it. This will mean selling my posh road bike that I don’t use and replacing it with a TT specific one. And TT bikes are cool. Aero helmets not so much.

So my question is, what’s hot and what’s not in the world of TT’s these days? The selling of my road bike should release about £3k although I could keep the groupset and wheels and just set it as f&F. I REALLY like the look of the Canyon but are they any good? And what’s the deal with wheels, is a disc and aero rim still a winning combo?

Speshpaul

you’ve got to have a look at the planetX ones

Edric64
    Free Member

Disc use depends on the wind direction the same with really deep rim front wheels .I am thinking about the Planet x 82mm rear 50mm front as a good compromise for all conditions

flange
    Free Member

I used to have a planet x stealth and really liked it. However I fancy something different this time, maybe with an integrated front end?

convert

What’s wrong with your back? It’s my experience that to get into and hold the sort of aero position where a TT specific frame will make a jot of difference is far more hard work on the back than anything I’ve done on a mountain bike.

Keeping the groupset (minus stis) and wheels will always make better financial sense than selling them 2nd hand and buying new.

Finally I’d work out your type of fit and discount brands after that. TT/Tri bike measurements are all about the stack and reach these days. Something like Cervelo typically have a long reach for a given stack so if you have long legs for your height (or flexibility issues) getting a good fit will always be a mission irrespective of how cool you might think the are!

flange
    Free Member

Apparently I do have unusually long legs for my height and I’m quite tall at 6’3 so that’s maybe Cervelo out.

tinsy
    Free Member

I have no idea, but pretty sure having one of those enormous front chainrings is the way to demoralize the competition at the parking place. I hope this helps.

Edric64
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with large rings .I use a 55 t ring on 11 t sprocket .I dont like pedalling quickly

convert

Try this (I know it’s triathlon specific and written by anal yanks but its quite good!) for starters

Slowtwitch article

flange
    Free Member

Cool – thanks Convert

I’ve got a 54 on the road bike (not deliberate) so I think a 60 is easily achievable

scratch
    Free Member

I’ve picked up a cheap s/h Planet X frame, just starting the build, I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread. I’m stuck on bars at the moment….

tinsy
    Free Member

Not sure that the 60 is going to out psych anyone.

This is the way.. 🙂

bomba
    Free Member

There’s a wide range in prices for TT frames for very marginal differences. More expensive ones may look cooler, but they don’t really make much of a difference from a time perspective.

The biggest advantage they give you is positional, so from that perspective, as long as geometry is the same, it makes sense to get a cheaper TT frame and spank the extra cash on fast wheels/helmet/skinsuit/overshoes.

Also, do you really have to sell the road bike (or do you have two)? Doing all your riding and training on a TT bike ain’t going to be fun.

flange
    Free Member

Fair point and yes I have two. Well three actually but the one I’m planning on selling is the ‘too nice to race’ one that never actually gets used. It’s got some decent parts on (sram red stuff, reynolds wheels) so they can all get moved across to the new frame and the rest should go for decent’ish money

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Finally I’d work out your type of fit and discount brands after that. TT/Tri bike measurements are all about the stack and reach these days. Something like Cervelo typically have a long reach for a given stack so if you have long legs for your height (or flexibility issues) getting a good fit will always be a mission irrespective of how cool you might think the are!

This^^^

The variation on geometries is huge between manufacturers. All the brands I looked at first were soon discounted when I looked at the geometry. I really wanted the new Canyon Speedmax CF but they have made the wheelbase and top tube longer to increase stability and from having a Retul fit done I new it would be to big even in the small. Luckily the old speedmax was bang on and discounted hugely too. 😀

jono84
    Free Member

has anyone on here built up one of the chinese carbon frames? and are they all about weight saving or are they stiffer than a alloy equivalent ? im thinking for myself on a budget a cheap alloy tt frame would be a better place to start for triathlons I do have a cheap road bike ……just fancy a tt bike just because

mrblobby
    Free Member

Check out posts by turboferret, I think he’s got a nice looking Chinese one.

If I had that sort of budget for a new build I’d seriously consider electronic shifting. Have it on the road bike and would love it on the TT bike now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Building a TT bike’ is closed to new replies.