Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Builders quote…does One haggle for a discount?
  • Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

If anyone buys a mainstream car and pays full price then they’re a bit of a mug and the dealer will be laughing all the way to the bank. Conversely, haggling does not go down too well at the supermarket checkout.

What’s the form with builders – do they generally expect haggled down a bit and price accordingly? It’s about £20k worth of internal renovations.

Ta,
    R

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, but don’t be ridiculous.

And, he’ll probably be used to it.

Cash talks of course, not that I’d know.

Bear
    Free Member

Would have thought you might struggle to get much of a discount on a small job like that.

Assume you had a few estimates so you will know if the price is reasonable.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Best thing is to get a couple of quotes and use them in your bargaining power.

d45yth
    Free Member

Some folk can take offence to it. A small outfit that does a decent job and is reputable should give their best price in the first place. If you asked for a discount and they knocked you a chunk off would you not feel like they had been trying to rip you off?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cash talks of course, not that I’d know.

Cash talks very loudly with most builders. Apparently the one I used listened well when it was mentioned. Not that I’d know.

totalshell

look around read the papers theres a recession on! say you cant afford that much can he do it for 16 grand. 20k is a LOT of money YOUR MONEY. i m amazed at some of the quotes we get accepted without comment when we ve quoted high cause we dont want the job, so theres always room for negotiation

Bear
    Free Member

As d45 said, if they knock a chunk off then they either will be cutting corners or have not quoted accurately in the first place. Be careful. As I said get three quotes and base it on that. Cheapest isn’t always best remember, try to get recommendations.
    I’m involved in some work for the nhbc that the standard is so bad it is costing £100,000’s to put right.

manta3000
    Free Member

if u can buy the materials needed for job,and you know what to get ,pay for them yourself,builders charge to supply,go speak to your builders merchant ,open an account with them,haggle for a discount,its ur money
    ur local B+Q WICKES,they all supply,and builders use them as well

slimraybob
    Free Member

Just accept or decline the quote, if you think its a good price take it, if not get another, what kind of job do you think you’ll get when you’ve haggled the profit out of the deal?
    I have never given a discount on any of the works I have carried out over the 20 or so years I have traded, then again I have never lost any money on a job I didn’t get.
    As for labour only work, where the client supplies their own materials, don’t make me laugh, its virtually always a cock up.

McHamish
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about offending him or him getting angry.

If he does would you really want to spend £20k with him? What if you’re not happy with the work? Would you want to have that discussion with someone who gets upset about haggling?

Seems like a good test to see if he’s someone who you can discuss difficult topics without shouting at each other.

If he reacts badly, then move on to the next builder who offered a quote and haggle with him.

chewkw
    Free Member

Is there a law against haggling?

Of course you haggle after all it is your money and if they want your money then they need to earn it but once agreed stick to it. Spending 20k and not haggle then you might as well let me haggle for you in return for some haggling charge.

Haggling can be done nicely without impolite.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We got a quote for a small job. First quote back came in at £1200 + VAT or £1000 for cash. Second quote came in at £398 so I’m a bit wary of cash ‘discounts’

juanking

We are just about to put our extension build out to tender. It’s not massive about 4mx5m but will be asking the builders for two quotes, one labour only and one labour and materials. I wouldn’t try to order everything for them as they could use our accounts in the build/plumb centre. I have no problem paying the going rate for labour but being charged a premium on materials extracts the urine.

bruneep

As for labour only work, where the client supplies their own materials, don’t make me laugh, its virtually always a cock up.

That^

I have refused to use some of the materials supplied as they customer bought “cheaper/inferior” products trying to save a few £. Materials not on site,short deliveries etc. You could end up paying for tradesmen sitting about while YOU sort it out.

juanking

Bru, I too am in The Deen, you got any builder contacts you would recommend?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wot bruneep said too.

*sucks teeth*

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Yeah , ask for a discount; the builder can always make “economies”. 🙄

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

Totalshell….serious question.
    If you don’t want the job, why still bother quoting for it, high it otherwise?
    Why not tell the client your just not interested, then no-ones time is wasted.

bigad40
    Free Member

Recommdation only.
    Go see his work, if he’s good there will be a job near you.
    Try haggle, be nice but I won’t reduce my price even for cash.

bruneep

juanking – Member

Bru, I too am in The Deen, you got any builder contacts you would recommend?

email me with what you’re looking for, can sort out most trades.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses folks…all noted and taken on board. For the record, its not my intention to barter the builder down and get the cheapest possible quote; I agree with the sentiment expressed here that its not the best way to incentivise a builder. I’m just trying to establish whether it’s common practice within the industry to over-quote expecting to have to reduce by a small percentage. Think double-glazing…but to a lesser degree!

We’ve had 2 quotes for the work so far, both within 10% of each other. The 3rd builder (G.Molloy, Coventry), well established and with a good local reputation, couldn’t be arsed to get back to us with the quote, despite several promises to the contrary. ****

Basic building materials are included in the quote but the big ticket items are not; kitchen, bathroom, flooring, windows, doors etc., so I expect the overall budget to double…at least!

It’s such a minefield out there for those of us who don’t deal with builders on a regular basis. Quotes for other work have varied wildly; stripping all of the wallpaper £35-£700 (I sh1t you not!) and an 8x4m extension (again, excluding the big ticket items) £70k-£115k excl VAT – idea now dropped.

We do want quality work and we are prepared and expect to pay a fair rate for it…just cautious about overpaying really.

Ta,
    R

totalshell

we quote for every job we re asked to. a home visit is guaranteed when i have a full discussion with the client discuss thier needs expectations and balance that with what is practical. i offer a verbal estimate as a guide and if that is accepeted we guarantee a fixed price quote within 24 hrs electronically or within 72 hours by mail.
    we only offer such quotes for work in excess of 500 pounds

deepreddave
    Free Member

and an 8x4m extension (again, excluding the big ticket items) £70k-£115k excl VAT

Were the builders all bankers? 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Builders quote…does One haggle for a discount?’ is closed to new replies.