Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Budget/mid level in ear headphones?
  • mattyfez

Hey all,
    Used to use some Samsung ear buds which sounded pretty good to me, better than standard offerings from other phone manufacturers apart from the HTC beatz buds I once had.

Unfortunately the trials of commuting mean I have misplaced them.

What’s a good cheap ear bud style headphone these days? Not too expensive as may get lost/broken as they’ll be used for commuting and generally thrown about.

Not too fussed about wireless Bluetooth or anything, just a good sound quality that doesn’t leak noise to everyone around me.

Also not hard plastic ones with no flange like apple and Huawei, I don’t find them comfortable and they tend to drop out and be generally annoying… Something with soft rubber flanges if that’s the right word.

What you recommend? No set budget but around £30 or something?

Source will be a mobile phone playing mp3, FLAC, YouTube, just general audio really.

Cheers!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/mdr-ex650ap/review

Currently £35 here, and worth every penny.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-mdr-ex650-in-ear-headphones-with-mic-remote-brass/p1525292

Have been using mine daily for phone calls for a few years now, and as my travel headphones as well, switching to my Bose for long haul. They’re pretty much perfect, IMHO.

matt_outandabout

I bought some Mee Audio x1 (?) running headphones a couple of years back. They refuse to die and are great sound, noticeably better than anything else I’ve had.

I then got a free set of Sony something good with my Xperia phone. It was a special offer at the time. They are again a step up in clarity – just don’t work when running and catch wind past your ears. But for sitting working, they are great.

mattyfez

Those Sony look good, thanks captain!
    Had some Sony ones years ago and was very happy with them, but that was back in the days of Walkmans and discmans lol

mattyfez

Thanks mattOAB,

I know what you mean about Wind and cable noise isn’t really an issue as mostly used on the train.

Might just go for those Sony ones.

Although it is irritating when you catch the cable with your hand and get a hurricane noise through the phones.

matt_outandabout

I’ve just looked and my Sony’s look almost identical to the ones that cap’n suggests, just black.

metalheart
    Free Member

Loath as I am to agree with the captain, I have a set of them thar Sony ones and I’ve found them excellent. They don’t coil up the best but are much better than the sennheiser (sp) ones they replaced. I probably got them after seeing them recommended on here (probably by CFH…). And that’s a decent price for them too. I’m pretty sure I paid more (about a year ago probably).

The brass has discoloured (mibbies I’m just a minker) a bit but mine get used outside in all weathers. The choice of bud sizes also fit my ears well too.

I have an eclectic taste and these cover them all pretty well, from choral Church Slavonic to the stooges.

gringo

I really rate my Sound Magic E10s.

rsl1
    Free Member

+1 soundmagic E10 they were winning whathifi group tests against much more expensive headphones when they came out

onewheelgood

I also have a set of those brass Sony earphones. Had them for 5 years or so, they sound great, the mic is good for making calls. At that price they’re a steal.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a spare set!

😎

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a spare set!

I *may* have done something similar earlier on. Just to make up to the free postage level you understand….🤪 probably…

Did I mention they were a good price?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😁

Pretty sure my original pair were £50+ years ago.

mattyfez

I bought the Sony today, very impressed so far for £35.

I had to re adjust the EQ on DB power amp as thees a lot louder and bass heavy than the crappy OEM Samsung ones.

So far very impressed, good fit and comfortable too!

The brass looks a bit too bling for my liking but other than that, thanks for the recommendation!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The brass looks a bit too bling

They age nicely, developing a patina. Another plus for the brass finish!

metalheart
    Free Member

The brass looks a bit too bling for my liking

That’s some peripheral vision you have… 😉

Good fit and comfortable, yeah, thats what I meant to say. I don’t get ear fatigue (that I got with my old sennheisers)

Just goes to show, you can’t judge someone purely by their shoe style… 😜 cheers CFH.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

null

metalheart
    Free Member

Ouch… 🤦‍♂️
    😂

mattyfez

Updat

Overall very impressed, loads more loudness than my old headphones so I don’t have to turn the volume up to max.

The buds feel well built, slightly concerned that the 90 degree jack might get snagged or damaged if I’m jamming my mobile phone into my pocket.

The prefitted rubber grommets seem comfortable so I’ve not bothered to fit the other sizes that come included.

Little bass heavy on some albums so I’ve had to recalibrate the EQ in power amp on the phone. Or maybe that’s because my old headphones were just gash.

Well worth £35 IMO.

Thanks for the recommendation.

mattyfez

I was worried the brass would look too bling, but it’s brass, not gold so looks kinda subtle in the flesh.

ElShalimo

For all you MDR-EX650 owners…. Are they comfortable  and how many pairs of ear bud foam thingies do you get?

I must have weird ears as i rarely find ear buds comfy

mattyfez

4 sizes including the ones already fitted.

2020-03-11_08-17-45

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Budget/mid level in ear headphones?’ is closed to new replies.