• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bruges tips
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Off to Bruges in a couple of weeks for a long weekend. Any suggestions of things to do? Eateries? Bars?

Thanks!

beej

Stay away from midgets on ketamine.

hora
    Free Member

+1 and the swingers bars

Dont eat in the square- expensive. Enjoy 🙂

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I hear the alcoves in the park are lovely.

superfli
    Free Member

Take trip on the canal boats. Not too expensive and you’ll see some sights with commentary. I didnt think the main sq was that expensive actually. Drink the dunker beer, well nice 🙂

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Brugge is a great place – good beer , good food, interesting buildings.

Recommended http://www.brugsbeertje.be/index_en.htm

Tinners

If you see the legend that is Sus Cavo playing his barrel organ, you’re in for a treat. He must be well into his 80s now but a right character. Knows how to play a crowd. Although pricy, a carriage ride around the sights is a great way to get a feel for the place and to decide which bits are worth going back to investigate further. If you’re travelling by car, the best place for all day parking is the multi storey next to the station. I’d recommend the Gruuthuse Hof for food. Great fixed price menu. Lovely city. You’ll have a great time. I think the difference in culture is summed up by what’s in the shop window in the shop next door to the TinTin shop. If you’re taking your kids, you might want to avert their gaze as they walk past! Plenty of lovely little teashops and bars too. A mecca if you like waffles. If you like Belgian beer, the Straffe Hendricke brewery in the middle of the town may be worth a visit too. Lots of Belgian beers and unusual beer glasses for sale. V strong and “different” to UK ale though if you’ve not tasted it before – not to everyone’s taste.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Thanks all. Yes will avoid midgets, swingers, and try not to get shot and fall off the tower 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Youtube Dom Jolly he did a pub crawl of bars in Bruges for a show in a series he did (abit violent mind- drugs and gangsters abound)

stevew
    Free Member

+1 for Bruges beertje
    Check out cambrinas too, massive beer menu and the food there is great – think it was called mixed snacks or something, basically a mountain of meat and cheese – we christened it Meatsuvious.

The frites vans in the square are ok late at night.

Go up the clock tower in the main square and try to be there on the hour so you can be at the top when the bells ring, quite an experience!

Hire bikes, you can be out on the canal tow paths in 5 minutes and have a great ride for a few hours.

Enjoy.

hora
    Free Member

johndoh
    Free Member

Zot Beer

joespencer33
    Free Member

I was only there for 18hrs, but I would go out early in the day, I did it out of necessity but it was so nice to walk around the streets whilst they were empty.

adrec
    Free Member

There’s s dreadful Italian called Venice. Avoid. Climbing the tower is a must do tho obviously.

Mackem

Drink as many different beers as you can.

kennyp
    Free Member

Drink Kwak beer. No need to take a boat trip, it’s small enough to easily walk round.

JulianA
    Free Member

Another for the Brugse Beertje. Oude Brugge, Chagalle, Den Hobbit, Cafe de Pompe all worth eating in.

RustySpanner

Tinners – Member
    If you like Belgian beer, the Straffe Hendricke brewery in the middle of the town may be worth a visit too.

Spot on.
    The guided tour was interesting, the brewery is a lovely old place and you get a beer at the end. 🙂
    Even my 65 year old, teatotal mum enjoyed it. 😀

Pook

We hired a tandem for riding the canal paths. Also went on a boat.

Lovely place.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bruges tips’ is closed to new replies.