Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bronson 2 idiots question
  • sime46
    Free Member

I’m seriously considering the new Bronson frame. I have a Nuke Mega AM as a donor for the project if I go ahead. I see the Bronson has a rear axle spacing of 148mm? My mega is 142mm I think. Is it a simple matter of adding spacers or something like this or do I need a fresh wheel?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hub dependant, think hope do a kit

tomhoward

New hub at the very least as 148 is a different hub shell width, not just axle length iirc

noahhowes
    Free Member

That’s more than likely a new wheel or hub and rebuild I’m afraid.

tom.nash

Whole new hub I believe. Irritating, a conspiracy to get you to buy the whole bike I’m convinced!

psycorp
    Free Member

Who needs standards and inter-compatibility. 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

New hub at the very least as 148 is a different hub shell width, not just axle length iirc

It is but it’s also just a way of holding the wheel in the middle, AFAIK the hub is wider and the shell but a 142mm can fit with spacers and perhaps shimming of the rotor – I read something about hope doing this, you just drop the milipercent stiffness upgrade.
    edit
    6mm in the real world

sime46
    Free Member

Ah. As I suspected then. Still not a deal breaker. Just irritating. Is the old Bronson 142mm? Some bargains out there. Could be worth considering?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

a conspiracy to get you to buy the whole bike I’m convinced!

might as well spend another £3k to avoid rebuilding a wheel 😆

Who needs standards and inter-compatibility.

no one, unless your changing your frame every week what is the issue? so you have to change a hub hardly a massive deal considering you could have the frame for 2/3/4 years

dirtyrider
    Free Member

6mm in the real world

your ruler is miles out

mikewsmith
    Free Member

LOL I remember a former colleague measuring stuff on the screen in autocad… we laughed for quite a while

honourablegeorge

ANother thing about boost is that it changes chainline – SRAM recomend a different spider for their cranks.

Dunno what you do with Shimano, as they have no replaceable spider, suppose you can muck with spacers if it’s an external BB, but not ideal otherwise. Do Shimano have boost-chainline compatible cranks? Or is Boost a whole new way of forcing them out of OEM in favour of SRAM?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you have a Hope hub they have already said they will make spacers for it.

They already make rotor spacers as that’s changed too, as it will need to be spaced an additional 3mm outboard, due to hub changes.

honourablegeorge

Hope are making spacers for front only IIRC.

Spacing axle, disc and cassette out back might not be doable

simondbarnes

Do Shimano have boost-chainline compatible cranks?

Yes, they do

muddybikeruk
    Free Member

Wow this really is a cynical move by SC / the industry. So the 5010 and the Bronson get 148, but the Nomad stays on 142? Also I have enough trouble with ankle rub on 135 & 142, this will be even worse.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the new Bronson but will re-consider now. This constant “standard” change needs to stop, it is just wasteful. I still haven’t decided what to do with about 20x 26″ tyres in the shed, probably just bin job.

Hope they lose sales on this.

zelak999
    Free Member

Its a PITA as there are not many 148mm boost hubs available (at a reasonable price).
    I’m looking at hope Pro 2 for a new 5010 build.
    I would wait for the new Hope Pro 4 but i’m itching for a new frame.
    DT Swiss 148mm don’t seem to be available until December.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bronson 2 idiots question’ is closed to new replies.