Home Forums News Brompton goes gravel

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Brompton goes gravel
    stwhannah

Billed as the brand’s “biggest launch in over 50 years” the new Brompton G Line sees the adoption of 20in wheels and gravel. The new bikes also featur …

By stwhannah

Get the full story here:

Brompton goes gravel

jameso

Been waiting for this to be released for so long. But a carbon fork? Nah. Disappointed.
    Or, I’ll buy S/H and and see what Kinetics can do.

bentudder

Finally got round to rebuilding my old Brompton earlier this summer after getting it stripped and resprayed last year. I used to do massive miles on it with mixed commutes, and it deserved some love.

I’d forgotten just how useful, convenient and fun it is as a utility bike; I can teleport up to the high street to get a few bits from the shops, or nip over to friends for a cuppa without a 20 minute walk or bothering the car. We chucked it in the boot back in the summer when we went off to the Netherlands, and it saved £70 in bike hire straight off during our stay.

What we haven’t seen yet is how small (or big) it folds compared to the original model, and I think that’s going to be a critical comparison, and one that Brompton probably should make – there’s still a massive market for the little ‘un. One of the things that did it for me was that it could fit on a commuter train without taking up someone else’s room, and this looks like it’s a bit scaled up.

I do have to say, though – Ben at Kinetics is owed a few beers by Brompton.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

is it the khaki tee and brown shorts that make it gravel

fenboy

my wife has recently developed a weird/out of character yearning for a brompton, she has reached a certain age and was on a course recently with an Austrian lady who had come over with one on the plane and then cycled to the venue everyday and hasn’t stopped talking about them!

She was about to buy one when we saw the teasers for this so we waited to see what was coming and I half guessed so I think she’ll get one of these. slightly bigger when folded and heavier but much more versatile than the standard one for us. She won’t be commuting into a city on it everyday just occasionally so this looks like a winner to me for our use case, it also means less short car journeys so all good!  plus i have no more space in the shed for a proper bike! Looks cool too, I will be borrowing it!

Alu fok not carbon and I’m sure if you wanted a steel fork Kinetic will do one for it!

jameso

Alu fok not carbon

I stand corrected, thanks – I’d assumed it was carbon after the T-Line came with one. Alu will do.

elray89
    Free Member

@whatyadoinsucka – Don’t forget that Tan Walls also equals gravel. Bonus points for that goofy POC helmet with the military patches on it.

fenboy

I’ll be convincing the wife that she also needs that helmet and all the necessary “gravel” attire! :-)

stwhannah

@fenboy you might like to check out our current raffle – I think there’s some appropriate gear in there!

fenboy

@stwhannah :)) thats excellent I had noticed that and thought that might be really appropriate to enter. Are you going to get one of these then or the more traditional ones? I have to admit i really want one now!

jimdubleyou

This is a similar price to a Kinetics MTBrompton, and looks a lot smarter (if a little less capable).

It’s very much a “niche” use case for me so I’m not sure I’ll rush to buy one. I do want one though, maybe next year on bike to work scheme ;)

fooman

I never thought of getting either a Brompton or an ebike, but I now have a yearning for a Brompton Electric G Line.

ahsat

Oh c***p – I am now thinking I bought my C line 3 months too early!  That said, I do find it about at the limit of an acceptable weight when lugging it around between multiple trains.  It is brilliant – big fan.

benp1

Got the email from Brompton with these on show. Have an M3L already, gets a regular use on my commute

T line is a bit spendy and over my C2W limit. These might fit in…

I’d need a longer seatpost, would like to get a ride on one

Daffy

Well – there’s my next C2W purchase sorted.

Just having 20″ wheels will make a vast improvement IME of having had both Bromtons and Dahons.

scotroutes

It’s perhaps a measure of where we’re at that I read down to the prices thinking and how much will we be fleeced and then thought actually, that seems quite reasonable.

roadworrier

The disc brakes are a revelation and potential gamechanger here.

One thing I noticed in the bike shop was that the combination of small wheels and rim brakes means that Brompton’s can burn through wheels (almost literally) like no-one’s business.

This makes the concept a lot more viable for me.

Plus I could get tanwalls and join the gravel set ?

sl2000

What we haven’t seen yet is how small (or big) it folds compared to the original model

It’s on the website…

https://www.brompton.com/p/1029/a-line-23 is 25.3′ H’ x 23” W x 10.6” D (I’m not sure why inches not metric)

https://www.brompton.com/p/1347/g-line-with-roller-frame-8-speed is 28.3″ / 72cm (D), 26.2″ / 67cm (H), 16″ / 41cm (W)

thepodge
    Free Member

Those H W D don’t make sense. The W looks to have got 7″ narrower which can’t be right.

MrSparkle

Brompton’s can burn through wheels (almost literally) like no-one’s business.

Wheels or tyres??

ribena
    Free Member

I think the rims can wear from the braking. Certainly mine did when I commuted on it daily, especially in the winter. Also just left a mess of dried up brake pad material.

prawny

I’ve just sold my road bike and I’m agonising about whether an XC bike or gravel bike would be the best replacement. We have another contender! I’ve always had a soft spot for bromptons, I used to chat to a guy on my old commute who road one 10 miles in to brum and back every day. He was rapid. Would make a great commuter/shopper/explorer

ribena
    Free Member
    andy5390

Little bit of an overview by Brilliant Bikes

Sanny
    Free Member

Looks good but given the choice, I would go for the custom option from Ben at Kinetics. Nice steel fork for a start and a stainless back end plus all manner of custom options for not much more money.

Glad Brompton have finally realised that disc brakes are a good thing! The larger wheels make a significant difference to the handling.

Cheers

Sanny

benp1

Nice GCN review on youtube too. I’m quite taken with it! No idea why, not sure when I’d use it compared with current bikes (incl a normal brompton) but the idea is bloody ace!

bikesandboots

Kinetics one looks good.

Not sure what on earth I’d do with either of these though.

onetimeews

Certainly going to be on trend with that potential for an 800mm dropper post.

kayak23

Nice GCN review on youtube too

cyclodog

I have a Moulton ATB (off road capable supposedly), which also has 20 inch wheels and suspension. All fine and dandy but small wheels don’t like uneven ground – isn’t that why 29er took over from 26inches? Usable but I’d defo ride the thing before running out and buying one thinking it’ll be great on anything lumpy.

zomg

Are the 20” wheels an existing size standard? 406? Or something else? The mention of custom tyres makes me a little suspicious that Brompton are inventing new standards.

jameso

It’s 406 BSD so BMX or other 20″ tyres will fit. 50mm Big Apples would be my pick (I’m speccing one up already, can you tell)

stevemcneill
    Free Member

We’ve got two Bromptons in our house. I will deffo get one of these – I don’t drive, so having a more capable bike that’s still zero hassle to get on trains has sold it.

One thing I’m not sure about, what are you going to use the fork bosses for without mucking up the fold?? Monkii clip cages Iguess as you can slide them off? low rider rack and panniers doesn’t seem any better than the Brompton front luggage?

Andy

what are you going to use the fork bosses for without mucking up the fold??

Fidlock bottle?

I can see one of these in my life. Sell my Brompton C-Line and town bike to fund. Need to see IRL first to assess how much bigger and the weight.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ben did a comparison chart between MTBrompton and G Line, it’s on the Kinetics Facebook page.

avdave2

We were above to get a couple of Bromptons for the vans, now in 2 minds what to get. It would have been 6 speed c-lines but the alfine and the disc brakes would be great to have. Just concerned about how big the g-line is to lug around. I think what I’d really like is a c-line with an alfine and disc brakes. I suppose that’s doable by going to kinetics

Andy

Yes looked at the measurements on the various review sites and saw Bens chart. Still need to see and heft IRL though.

My C-Line normally lives in my van. The G-line would replace that and also my bimbling about rigid 29er.

TiRed

Lifted one yesterday at Brompton Junction. Test rode a T line. The 14 kilos for non-electric will get old very quickly in a folding bike. I preferred my Airnimal Rhino. And a single speed T-line. Anyway they’re sold out  You can take a ten min test ride at their shop though  IMG_5367IMG_5365.

dmorts

Anyway they’re sold out

Are the shops doing pre-pre-orders?
    Can’t pre-order online until 24th Sept.

TiRed

i didn’t ask. one lift was enough to not bother test riding.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.