Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Broadband speeds!
  • tk46hal
    Free Member

Hi All,

Currently with AOL for broadband but still pay BT for the line rental.
    What I want to know is,
    If I change broadband suppliers would the broadband speed still be the same speed whoever I pay for the line Rental? I have no other options in receiving my Phone line to the house because we live off the main routes and only have a standard copper wire coming in off the main road(400 yards away) so for example, would Sky, EE etc be able to offer a faster broadband connection of would it still be the same as AOL via the BT line?
    Or do I look at something else?
    Thanks.

Drac

It’s possible it can make a difference yes.

My previous who had been good at one time but told me it must be my line.

And my current all I did was switch to BT.

scotroutes

I’ve just been through this very question as I recently moved house and went from Cable (Virgin Media) to Sky (via BT).

The performance from Sky is great when it’s 7am (over 6Mb) – and crap at 7pm (less than 0.6Mb). Sky say they can do nothing about it. I asked BT what would happen if I went with them and they “seemed” to promise to do better. There is a theory that they don’t apply traffic management to BT customers in the same was as to Sky/PLusNet/TalkTalk customers.

We’ll see.

molgrips
    Free Member

What are the speeds? If it’s the line then no, changing probably won’t make a difference. If it’s a contention issue then it might.

bruneep

Not much option to change when you are over 4km from exchange and on a crappy aluminium wire that BTO have no intention of upgrading because everyone around my street can get fibre. This little pocket of houses isn’t cost effective for them. My exchange is enabled and that is all they refer me back to when I enquire as to when I’ll get enabled.

Shower of shite that you are BTO.

Hurummmpff

tk46hal
    Free Member

I would be happy to receive 1 mb at any time but it always seems to be .06mb ish when I check it. I have spoken to AOL, well via email and get no help from that so I suppose I’ll speak to BT now as I’m paying them just for the line rental and see what they say! 😐

thehustler
    Free Member

I currently have a 32meg connection on sky unlimited, the fastest according to the internet available in my area 16meg think I’ll be staying put for now

samuri
    Free Member

molgrips has it really. Changing provider won’t change the line speed which is dictated by quality of line and distance from exchange but it may change the contention. It could of course get worse.

Personally I’d never go back from cable. Since we moved house it’s been perfect.
    Ultra fast, extremely reliable.

Drac

Nice.

Our exchange went live with Fibre Optic this month just waiting for my street to go live.

Houns

However I should be getting 130mb

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

after getting so fed up with stupid slow broadband, 1kpps if i was lucky, i gave up and get superfast in. the problem now is that my pc is so old it can’t cope with the speed.

takisawa2

100 (might be 120 now) on cable. In real terms…I don’t notice any difference to the 50mb I had before, which I didn’t notice any difference to the 20mb before that… 😕

Something a chap at work said…..if your on WiFi, it can sometimes default all devices to the speed of the slowest device.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Broadband speeds!’ is closed to new replies.