Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Brixton Riots
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Seen a few bits flying around on social media, but only brief mentions on mainstream news….seems like it properly kicked off at an illegal party there last night? One of the police statements made it sound like it could still be going on?!

What troubling times we are living in.

TheBrick
    Free Member

You haven’t seen anything yet. When the economic realities hit, add on Brexit to further impact things (you may like Brexit but even most of the Brexit supporting economist experts a economic cost unless a long series of events happen perfectly) .

I unfortunately expect civil unrest.

ElShalimo

Such happy thoughts on a Thursday!

Define civil unrest – we live in a society where people feel disenfranchised from society if their latte is not quite at the optimal temperature

Murray

Top of page on The Guardian. I wonder if it would have been if it’d been Stroud rather than Brixton?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I wonder if Britain will ever tire of London.

kimbers
    kilo

Malvern Rider

I wonder if Britain will ever tire of London.

Best they start earning some money if they do 😉

Double murder at Manchester bash wasn’t it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Define civil unrest – we I live in a society where people feel disenfranchised from society if their latte is not quite at the optimal temperature

FTFY, you might have noticed on the news that other demographics outside the STW middle class bubble have bigger fish to fry.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Shame they can’t view the virus as a common enemy like their WW2 heroes viewed the 6 years+ when they had to ‘lockdown’ quite a bit.

Obviously 12 weeks of Netflix, Twittering selves to death, overeating, ordering online, riding new bikes and/or driving everywhere along with general farting around on palm-sized supercomputers accessing near-free and endless entertainment/info/learning remote conferencing isn’t enough for people of today.

A dig for victory? Community allotments? Or litter the place, take shitloads of drugs and booze and shoot each other instead?

Tough choices.

*edit

FTFY, you might have noticed on the news that other demographics outside the STW middle class bubble have bigger fish to fry.

My ‘middle class bubble’ exists of being a (frankly struggling to keep it together between you and me) primary carer to other half living in a block of rented flats with rats. Struggling to keep a hamd-me-down 15yr old car on it’s last legs with bald tyres. Not so great a place to be at mid fifties bit it could be so much worse. I keep squinting and keep perspective and keep hope. Managed to sell a bike and bought a second hand freezer last week to stop the food going off, but injured myself moving it. I (was) the only one of us who can still lift things. Should I revolt? Party? Both? Shall I join them? Will they laugh at my cracked iphone 5?

It’s not just Brixton where there were large gatherings last night after the hottest day of the year so far.

There were reports on hundreds of young people congregating on the seafront in Hove, East Sussex, where police were called after “pockets” of violence broke out.

One witness said the teenagers should have finished their GCSEs and had their prom on Wednesday if it wasn’t for the coronavirus lockdown.

Poor bastards. Must be tough. We can all do lazy stereotypes but…

Wait..? What’s ‘prom’?

**** sake. Try being in a refugee camp with Covid19.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-27/how-the-rohingya-refugee-camp-turned-into-a-city

johndoh
    Free Member

OP – it’s headline news on both the BBC and Guardian sites?

IdleJon

Shame they can’t view the virus as a common enemy like their WW2 heroes….lots of waffle……. Wait..? What’s ‘prom’?

Are you really the old woman who loves opposite me?

DO YOU NEED ANYTHING FROM THE SHOPS, DOT?

qwerty
    Free Member

I wonder if it would have been if it’d been Stroud rather than Brixton?

Organic houmous can be lethal !!!

devash
    Free Member

Watched some of the videos. They seem to all attack the police and then once the police have cleared off, they start attacking each other.

At those Manchester raves last week people got stabbed and raped.

I’m glad I don’t get invited to these sorts of parties.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah it’s starting to get reported now….barely featured on breakfast, which given the extent of it and the fact that there was hardly any ‘news’ during the rest of the programme was fairly odd.

As for when we’ll get sick of London…..the gap between there and the rest of the country is going to be bigger than ever moving forward I reckon.

We’re in Cheshire, girlfriends house is up for sale currently….a youngish couple (well same age as us I guess) that live in London came to have a look as they can now work from home for the foreseeable and he was from the area originally. They just seemed like they were on a whole different planet!!! So unaware of the world outside of London.

dazh

Poor bastards. Must be tough.

They’ve been brought up in a society which worships consumerism and social status, now you want them to start  doffing their caps and doing their duty for the greater good? We reap what we sow.

onehundredthidiot

Not in the same league but we had a guy standing outside shouting and swearing at the grass. Local ne’er-do-wells are having a hard time since a series of drug raids last week. Add to that all day drinking and there’s a lot of folk losing their shit.
    And yes when the reality of reality hits. It’ll be bedlam. I’m half glad that the pub across the road has shut its doors for good.

Haze

Block party eh, how American

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Are you really the old woman who loves opposite me?

DO YOU NEED ANYTHING FROM THE SHOPS, DOT?

🤣 Younger neighbours did ask us that once. So you’re not wrong.

I have been offering to get stuff for older neighbours. Am trying to fix up her car today in return for cake #novirtue

We reap what we sow.

That’s why I didn’t sow it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

They just seemed like they were on a whole different planet!!! So unaware of the world outside of London.

and conversely there are plenty of provincial types unaware of what’s beyond their home-work-pub small town existence.

as somebody who grew up in both a horrible market town with no redeeming features and bucolic countryside and now lives in London i see myopia in all those places.

MSP

and conversely there are plenty of provincial types unaware of what’s beyond their home-work-pub small town existence.

as somebody who grew up in both a horrible market town with no redeeming features and bucolic countryside and now lives in London i see myopia in all those places.

Ahh “the white live matter” defence.

It’s really not the same, we have had a 40+ year London centric policy enforced on the whole country, the Westminster bubble is real and thriving, pointing that out is not the opposite side of an equal debate.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Ahh “the white live matter” defence

Eh? What a bizarre thing to say.

The last time I went to Brixton was to meet an old schoolfriend, we popped into see the Olaudah Equiano (freed slave/abolitionist) exhibition while there.
    Is that a big enough virtue signal for you? I’ll spare you the ‘some of friends are black’ one.

You crack on with your “white live matter” drivel.

the-muffin-man

An awful lot of good work over the last few weeks being undone by a bunch of tw*ts.

MrSmith
    Free Member

An awful lot of good work over the last few weeks being undone by a bunch of tw*ts.

More than a bunch.
    null

peekay

More than a bunch.

That type of long lens photo and the associated outrage is getting a bit boring.

They people in it could be following the rules to the letter, but any dispersed crowd looked at from the side rather than from above looks more condensed than it actually is.

Standard photo of Brighton beach on a hot day in the media with crowds looking like front of stage at a music festival when in reality there is plenty of space.

Mind you, I wouldn’t want to be on that beach as even without virus issues it is too busy for me.

Edit. Just checked, and the photo that you posted was of Bournemouth on 25 May, so even less relevant to your assertion that hard work over the last few weeks has been recently spoiled.

finbar
    Free Member

Eh? What a bizarre thing to say.

The last time I went to Brixton was to meet an old schoolfriend, we popped into see the Olaudah Equiano (freed slave/abolitionist) exhibition while there.
    Is that a big enough virtue signal for you? I’ll spare you the ‘some of friends are black’ one.

You crack on with your “white live matter” drivel

I suspect MSP’s comment had naff all to do with race.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ahh “the white live matter” defence.

It’s really not the same, we have had a 40+ year London centric policy enforced on the whole country, the Westminster bubble is real and thriving, pointing that out is not the opposite side of an equal debate.

EHHH?

You are aware that London and Westminster aren’t synonyms, and Brixton certainly isn’t.

You yourself just said “white lives matter”, perhaps you should consider that outside your view of London not everyone went to Eaton or Harrow.

binners

I’m amazed its taken this long to kick off. We’re busy cooking up a perfect storm

We’ve a government that has handled this whole thing with total and complete ineptitude. Add in the message sent out by Dominic Cummings jolly to Barnhard Castle (one rule for you, another for us), then look at Robert Jenrick today – a more clearcut case of corruption you’ll never see, but the government just shrugs and says ‘bovvered’ and casually waves two fingers to us all.

They’re treating everyone with utter and complete contempt. A bunch of incompetent privately-educated, establishment rich kids rrogantly doing what the **** they like with total impunity.

Chuck in Black Lives Matter, a hot summer, an unemployment rate that’s about to go through the roof, with the poorest being hit hardest, and further economic chaos as a no-deal Brexit approaches and we could be in for a lively old time of it on the civil unrest front.

Those who think this is a London thing wouldn’t have wanted to be in Mosside last Saturday Night

Kryton57

In part response to Malvern riders post, people tend to forget that a lot of Londoners were born there, and didn’t chose to move in.

London is one of the most expensive places to live, so if you are born in the city, are not blessed with middle class upbringing and finances it’s very hard to save up and move out.   So now you have a bunch of people with the same redundancy, Brexit, and racial issues as everyone else condensed into a small – and currently very hot – space.

it’s a mistake to think that people in London are well off, the often aren’t yet have higher financial commitments and can have a very much lower financial and quality of life standard than someone outside in similar circumstances.

TDLR: stop focussing on Londoners in general; your bubble is the politicians, London has its fair share of the same issues.

MoreCashThanDash

Having just seen the BBC News footage, u fear those of you thinking these “riots” are the start of the masses rising up are going to be disappointed.

Street party that turned on the Police when they tried to break it up. Not seeing any burning, looting or attacks other than on the Police, or anyone trying to claim any political purpose to it?

finbar
    Free Member

TDLR: stop focussing on Londoners in general; your bubble is the politicians, London has its fair share of the same issues.

London does outperform the rest of the country in education in ways that some may find surprising. For example:

“16-18 Students in London are 17 percentage points more likely to progress to higher education or training than students in the South West, and this difference remains at 17 percentage points once prior attainment and qualification type are taken into account”

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/860136/Progression_to_higher_edu_training_2019.pdf

And lest anyone accuse me of being selective in my quoting:

“Part of the reason for the success of London students in this measure might be that London contains a large number of higher education institutions, and so London residents may find
    it easier to access higher education without having to travel far (and possibly while living at home).”

17 % points is a lot though. I suspect the rest may have something to do with the greater funding and attention London receives.

binners

Having just seen the BBC News footage, u fear those of you thinking these “riots” are the start of the masses rising up are going to be disappointed

True enough, but that doesn’t mean that we won’t be seeing a lot of police cars on fire over the summer. Is foot Locker back open again?

jairaj

I’ve only had quick scan through the news articles but it seems like these people aren’t rioting about anything. They seem to just be getting drunk and high and having rave and then reacted very badly when the police righty tried to shut it down.

I don’t think there is a point to their anger beyond “we’ve been in lockdown for ages and we are bored! Don’t care about the distancing advice etc… Just want to go let my hair down and not give a crap”

Have I misunderstood the situation here?

If that is the case, I don’t really have any empathy for them.

MoreCashThanDash

True enough, but that doesn’t mean that we won’t be seeing a lot of police cars on fire over the summer. Is foot Locker back open again?

While I accept it’s a very real possibility, some of you on this, and other threads, seem to be positively salivating at the idea, which I find rather odd. Do you all just really need this season’s Nikes and 90″ TV?

tjmoore

Street party that turned on the Police when they tried to break it up. Not seeing any burning, looting or attacks other than on the Police, or anyone trying to claim any political purpose to it?

It’s been enough for Farage to stir up the racists on twitter without any evidence of who was involved or how it started. Just Brixton, riots, therefore must be dirty foreigners. Calls from his followers for army to get involved, deportation etc.

Meanwhile, why isn’t he in quarantine after bogging off to his best mate in US? He’s at the seaside again looking at dinghies.

binners

Do you all just really need this season’s Nikes and 90″ TV?

I’m pretty sure that if these situations do escalate then that’s how it’ll be spun by the government, as that’s how Trump spun the BLM protests turning violent, and we all know that Joris just mimics trump. So it’ll all be dismissed as the lawlessness of looters, and any other elements ignored.

But because of the BLM protests, there is definitely a political dimension to this too, as simmering resentments built up over decades are coming to the surface and being vocalised.

Or maybe it’s just a pure coincidence that the two places this has occurred so far both have very large BAME populations?

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

More than a bunch.

Yawn.

Remember the outrage when there was the Devonshire beaches rammed in Spring or the Black Lives Matter protests in May/June all over the country and screams of second wave.

Didn’t happen did it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

By civil unrest I mean riots. Not this summer but next year when the effects of all of this have had a chance to play out a little.

That type of long lens photo and the associated outrage is getting a bit boring.

Someone I know was flying over Bournemouth yesterday, the beaches where packed from that photo from the air.

London moanings

London will always be ahead because it’s a top international city. Very few countries have one of these and it needs to be seen in the context of other top international cities so comparison with other UK cities is a bit off. There is London favouritism in some ways but not when you look at it from a viewpoint of other international cities. Don’t try to cut London out, up the other areas of the UK.

Northwind

Malvern Rider

Shame they can’t view the virus as a common enemy like their WW2 heroes viewed the 6 years+ when they had to ‘lockdown’ quite a bit.

I assume that’s supposed to be a poke at young people but it applies to pretty much every age group right now, people keep invoking the “blitz spirit” while also getting uppity when they’re asked to “put that light out” or use their ration books.In the ridiculous ww2 metaphor, failing to observe the lockdown, refusing to wear a mask, visiting your second home (*) etc, is all basically collaborating with the nazis.

(* and this one’s definitely not for the millenials, who don’t even own a first home to visit)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I assume that’s supposed to be a poke at young people

No it wasn’t. But they are included. Many of my parents generation and most of my generation are the very worst entitled consumers, rule-breakers, risk-takers, corner-cutters, I’m alright-Jacks and serial litterers. They blart on about the ‘Dunkirk Spirit’ when on the piss but after 12 weeks of sub-lockdown you’d think they’d spent their entire lives in an Anderson shelter after having lost their best and brightest to fighting The Bosh.

Meanwhile our workers on the actual frontline against C19 assumedly won’t be shooting each other or crying over spilt booze.

The problem is untangling the ‘legit’ BLM stuff from the just plain bad, thoughtless, entitled and mostly unrelated shit coming from other quarters.

As suggested, Bozo et al will probably use this to further sow division and create more lovely, bank-able crises for them and their media-savvy chums to trawl as they continue to steer the SS Britannia Trumpwards. If they keep us hard enough at the bilge-pump then we won’t see them drilling the holes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Brixton Riots’ is closed to new replies.