Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • British Gas
  • pingu66
    Free Member

I am getting a new kitchen fitted and needed British Gas to raise the meter about 8 inches off the floor so we do not have to hack a unit to bits.

First appointment my partner was in and they said they could move it to any of the walls in the utility room but could not raise it 8 inches on the wall its currently on which is unobstructed.

Rearranged appointment which they didn’t keep but they allegedly rang an incorrect number at 1701 to say they couldn’t make it that day. Well by that time I knew they were not coming.

Rearranged for today and some youth turns up saying it has to be a continuous length of pipe therefore they would need to dig the floor up and he couldn’t do it. Maybe someone older could do it he said and got off.

Now there is at least 15 inches of pipe sticking out the floor and a second pipe going to the ceiling. The other pipe goes to the fire at about 10 metres away so will not be a continuous pipe anyway.

F£$^ING USELESS

Rant over.

project
    Free Member

get a Gassafe chappie out he can work on gas .

pingu66
    Free Member

The flexihose does not have enough length on it to move it and that’s why its a BG job.

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s the consequence of allowing them a monopoly on this type of work

rickmeister

Fix and Fall job on the meter….. ?

Its a good deal apparently… a complete fix and when did the price ever ever ever ever fall…

snap
    Free Member

Hi
    I may be able to help ,where abouts are you ?

pingu66
    Free Member

Snap I am just between Liverpool and Warrington, you got a really long flexihose!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s British Gas who is moving the meter?

markrh
    Free Member

Yes surly its national grid or someone like that and not lovely, lovely BG you should be slaggin off 😀

br
    Free Member

At this point, I’d think about altering the kitchen unit…

pingu66
    Free Member

Yep within 1 meter its free. Everything from the safety handle is BG not National Grid.

We only want to raise the meter off the floor so we do not have to rip the arse out of the cabinet, that’s lift it up 8 inches above the unit base height not redesign the wheel.

snap
    Free Member

Hi
    Sorry to far for me to pop round and take a look , West Mids
    Is it just the meter raising you need done , and not the pipe to the stop cock from outside
    If so the pipe between the stop cock and meter (usually a flexi hose) can be raised by doing the pipe work in copper this will allow you to raise the meter of the floor
    Hope this helps if not send pics to email address and ill take a look ,

nealglover
    Free Member

….Maybe someone older could do it he said

What ??

He wasn’t old enough to do what was needed ?

pingu66
    Free Member

@nealglover thats exactly what he said.

Simple from what I know. Lengthen the flexi, bit of new pipe, not a big job or am I missing something?

nealglover
    Free Member

@nealglover thats exactly what he said.

That’s bizarre.

Surely he is either qualified, or he isn’t ?
    How does age come into it.

pingu66
    Free Member

nealglover, I am at a loss to answer that. Even if he wasn’t fully qualified to do the job you would not say that to a customer. Now I need to wait for someone over 40 I guess.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m over 40 (by 3 days) but I’m no longer Gas Safe registered as I’ve swapped jobs 🙁

(I wouldn’t want that dude off Rogue Traders chasing me down the road on his motorbike 🙂

snap
    Free Member

Hi
    Simple enough correct , be careful not to stretch to flexy hose to much
    From the pic it looks like you have quite a bit of spare hose there anyway
    Remember this ..soap test everything afterwards just case you’ve disturbed anything
    (water and washing up liquid mixed in an old muc off bottle will do)
    Visit BES web site for any fittings (page 32 has the flexy hoses)
    Email in profile

pingu66
    Free Member

Snap thanks for the earlier offer and the advice, but BG are meant to do this for free but they don’t seem able to?

Don’t want to stress the flexi but may have to do it myself in the end.

totalshell

cough.. the flexy DOES NOT belong to the house owner.. it is the property of and the responsibility of the gas supplier.
    DO NOT touch it unless you are qualified to do so.. washing up liquid diluted in a muc off bottle is frankly suicide..

markrh
    Free Member

snap, is your house wired up with bell wire and plumbed in with garden hose 😯
    assumptions based on the shocking advise you give…

pingu66
    Free Member

Appreciate the comments. I don’t intend to mess with the gas but BG are sadly hopeless. My plumbing skills would be a little stretched, water I can handle explosive gas, um I need a roof over my families head.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘British Gas’ is closed to new replies.