Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Britain's changing wildlife.
  • mrmo
    Free Member

lots of deer, red, fallow, roe, muntjac, lots of buzzards, seen a couple of barn owls, although there is now a dead barn owl on the roadside on the way to work 🙁 Seen a couple of red kites recently as well. had a hedgehog in the garden a couple of years ago, which was surprising.

Lots of badger carcasses, I do wonder from location in relation to road whether some aren’t road kill.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Should have mentioned, I’m in the north west – Ribble Valley. Where are others that are posting?

Seen a huge increase in barn owls, see them most times we visit Gisburn. On summer evenings, there’s often one patrolling the field adjacent to the big climb up to the top of the Hope track…

andytherocketeer

oh – forget to mention lots of herons, but then the biggest heron reserve is 2 villages away (used to work there when I was in scouts).

pretty sure they’re still there, but they’ll have to be evicted to make way for an airport.

CountZero

never seen a stoat or weasel in the wild, I’d like to. Are they just very good at not being seen or are they very rare?

Like all apex predators, they’re less common than their prey, they’re very small, and very, very good at not being seen.
    I’ve seen a few, had a weasel come right up to me on the Sustrans route out of Chippenham once, I saw it loping along in front and stopped, it kept coming towards me and stopped right below my bike, looking right up at me! I even managed to take a photo with a cheap plastic camera, but the noisy shutter made it run off.
    I saw a stoat rolling around in the road with a rabbit once, and a blackbird flapping above the two of them, making a racket, until the rabbit got free and had it away on it’s toes up the road, the stoat being finally driven off by the bird’s noise and flapping. Amazing sight, that.

Bunnyhop

Fewer Hedgehogs, Hares, sparrows, blackbirds and no red squirrels, the last one was seen in our area in 1981.

Lots of badgers, buzzards, herons, Canada geese, wood pigeons, mallards, gold finches and frogs.

Would like to see grey squirrels culled ( Yes, I know it’s controversial).

Hoping to see an otter soon. Too many mink though and that’s a really bad thing.

redstripe
    Free Member

Lots of egrets by us, never used to see them pre-2000, must be all those people with greenhouses causing it. Ditto humbingbird moths. Went to Aylesbury a few weeks ago and saw loads of red kites. We had a gennet living wild in nearby woods for a few years in the 90’s, would love to see again but suspect long since dead. Our tawny owls haven’t come back this year yet and haven’t seen hedgehogs for about 5 years.

scotroutes

The amphibians are getting jiggy now the sun is out!

Saw a couple of newts today too.

anagallis_arvensis

Less wild flowers, less bumble bees.

anagallis_arvensis

I dislike Prof Goulson, although I suspect STW wouldnt like me posting why on their forum, he was the final straw in me deciding to leave research.

benp1

Saw some goldfinches yesterday in my garden, haven’t seen any for ages

Regularly see rose ringed parakeets now

(I live in North London)

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Britain's changing wildlife.’ is closed to new replies.