Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bristol traffic
  • noteeth
    Free Member

Never great, to be sure… but if ever there was a day for cycling to/from work, it was yesterday. 😯

Amazing how one incident can pretty much bring the whole centre to a grinding halt.

andyl
    Free Member

Bloody Mayor!

noteeth
    Free Member

Bloody Mayor!

Ironically, the Bristol Cycling Campaign was hosting a meeting to review BCC’s cycling strategyat the very same time.

Coincidence, I think not. 😉

KonaTC

Amazing how one incident can pretty much bring the whole centre to a grinding halt.

Bristol’s love affair with traffic lights does the same most days 🙄

stumpy01

Long standing joke with my sister, as she lives in Bristol is that the two things you can be certain of when visiting her is rain and traffic! She doesn’t find it very funny.

bonchance
    Free Member

Agree on anyone cycling yesterday – must be truggling not to feel smug.

Personally not so amazed that the incident pictured closed a main arterial route (across a river!). Could any city have kept the traffic moving (I wonder)?..

Lot’s of folk here groaning about it today – but each and everyone was *the* traffic :+ Mostly intelligent people unable to correlate their own car trip = part of traffic problem..

Hohum Mr Mayor can’t take the blame for that 🙂

Ben_H

I noticed the gridlock all through the centre at around 5pm yesterday.

I also passed a “traffic situation” on Prince St bridge (next to MShed / Arnolfini), where a tail of traffic was stuck coming over the bridge and preventing traffic from the opposite way crossing.

I shared the moment with a lady who had got out of her car and was remonstrating loudly with other drivers…

“This is why it’s better by bike”, I said. 😉

andyl
    Free Member

May thanks to the OP, I delayed my trip into Bristol today after checking google traffic as I saw in the report they still had to fix the road.

Was still chaos and it doesnt help that they are doing water works on the A38. I really don’t understand why the water company has spent the last few months digging up the road through backwell again. They seem to do it every bloody year.

I hate driving in Bristol and it just reinforced my hatred of cities. Smelly, miserable places.

bails

The lorry is believed to be carrying candles.

LOLZ

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate driving in Bristol and it just reinforced my hatred of cities. Smelly, miserable places.

Nah that’s just Bristol.

andyl
    Free Member

Hey, Bristol is nice. It needs a major overhaul though. A new mayor would help too.

The lorry did make quite a mess. I drove back home via the Cumberland basin.

simonhbacon
    Free Member

I wasn’t trying very hard at not feeling smug.

OTOH Princes st bridge made me wince. Last time I saw a traffic c*ck up like that was in Delhi.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bristol is ok as long as you’re not in a car.. and don’t go to the city centre 🙂

Ben_H

Bristol – the city centre especially – is fab.

The problem is trying to use a wheeled metal box to navigate it, hence the focus on non-car transport solutions.

marczr
    Free Member

Personally I quite enjoy driving to Bristol [ apart from this morning ! ] I live 16m south and usually don’t have to be in Clifton earlier than 10am, breeze up the A38, slip though Barrow Gurney, down Long Ashton Bypass, through Cumberland basin and up Clifton Vale. Rarely takes more than 25mins, hardly ever any significant traffic. Would probably hate it if i had to get to some shed on a business park to the North for 9 O’Clock though.

andyl
    Free Member

marczr – you’ve probably not far from me then.

I always try and travel before 7 or after 9 and then coming home before 4pm (never happens 🙁 ) or after 6.30.

Try to avoid barrow gurney as it is a nice little village that has been ruined by traffic but if I must then only go through it from the A38 towards Long ashton during peak times.

I am probably going to start using the long ashton park and ride soon but unfortunately most days I have to pop into multiple places and carry lots of gear.

marczr
    Free Member

andyl.. winscombe, and yes do feel a bit bad using Barrow Gurney road sometimes, don’t use it that often coming the other way either, will usually go via congresbury or just get onto the A38 at bedminster down on the way out of Brsl. Did a job in Barrow G recently and the farmer next door was grumbing about the ‘bloody motorway running through the village’.

andyl
    Free Member

you are indeed just down the road then.

noteeth
    Free Member

With any luck, it will have done wonders for bike sales.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bristol traffic’ is closed to new replies.