Home Forums Bike Forum Bridges on your local rides.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Bridges on your local rides.
  • verses

I occasionally ride over the Orwell

We were up there around bonfire night and were higher than some of the fireworks that the local scrotes were setting off, which looked quite impressive.

matt_outandabout

Some history of ours – one of the lads uses this as his school route daily.

http://happypontist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/scottish-bridges-21-faery-bridge.html

bruneep

Brig o Balgownie

The cobbles make for interesting riding on frosty mornings.

mcnultycop

Broke my elbow just near the first one Bregante posted a couple of months back.

Hopefully I’ll be back up there soon.

tthew

From todays ride.

Perhaps that last one doesn’t quite count, but that’s quite a few briges crossed, (and there was a few more)

kcr
    Free Member

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

a bridge over a bridge over a bridge over a canal !

gonetothehills
    Free Member

chorlton
    Free Member

Defender
    Free Member

I occasionally ride over the Orwell
    We were up there around bonfire night and were higher than some of the fireworks that the local scrotes were setting off, which looked quite impressive.

I’ve driven over it many times but never ridden it, I guess it’s quite challenging when it’s windy?

Defender
    Free Member

The only one I can lay claim to have ridden is the aqueduct near Bradford on Avon but not on MTB, but I did have full suspension!

slowoldman

Sorry not really to do with cycling but:
    A mate of mine was an engineer on the construction of the Orwell bridge
    the company I worked for as a young civil engineer designed the reconstruction of the Britannia Bridge over the Menai Strait
    my first job with the same company was knocking lumps of rust off this with a big hammer and measuring what was left.

deadkenny
    Free Member

66deg – Member
    This one is probably known by a fair number of STWers.

Which everyone knows you’re not supposed to ride over of course… and then ignores that 😀

Right, a bridge, some might know. Narrow and about 750 bar wide…

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Lock at Curzon Bridges deadkenny 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

That’s the one 😀

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Never cleared it in the other direction!

Stainypants

Three Shires head

yunki
    Free Member

I’m confused..

If the first bridge in Maxtorque’s set is the river Nene, and I’m sure the last one in his set is definitely Dartmoor cos it’s this bridge here:

and the third in his set looks alpine, so where the bleeding heck do you live for all those bridges to be on your ‘local rides’ as requested in the thread title 😉

/end pedant

Kuco

Not clue where the other 3 pics are from but I know 100% the first is Washlands Northampton.

P20

Not on a ride, but a walk where you can walk behind the waterfall below the bridge. One of my favourite places

[/url]
    Ashgill Force[/url] by ritcheyp20[/url], on Flickr

maxtorque

yunki
    I’m confused..

Unfortunately this is quite common in older people…… 😉

yunki
    so where the bleeding heck do you live for all those bridges to be on your ‘local rides’ as requested in the thread title

Ok, i slightly cheated with the last one, but i live in Northamptonshire, and my Parents live on Dartmoor, so i’m claiming both as “local”. And the alps one, well, it’s local to some fantastic holiday riding i do every summer, so there!!! 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I love bridges, what a great thread.

Malvern Rider has already done one of the bridges I regularly ride over (yes there is only one bridge in that photo!), here are some of the others (all stock photos I’m afraid, but all on my local rides – and apart from the first, ones I also often kayak under):

(in fact looking at those, MR picked one of the least attractive!)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I spent my late teens through 20’s riding over this beauty. I lived up the hill behind the Church and Bouy, do I miss that place, some fabulous riding up there..m 8)

cvilla

bridge2 by Chris.cvilla[/url], on Flickr

Elterwater near Selwith, I love this bridge a great bit of engineering and art!

richmars

St Ives, Cambs. Thursday night pub ride sometimes gets that far.

BigJohn

The Essex Bridge at Shugborough is on the way home from our regular Thursday night ride. As a consequence i’ve only ever been on it after midnight coming back after 6 or 7 in the pub. There tends to be a lot of barging and tyre buzzing over it as it’s only about 3 feet wide and the side walls are only 2 feet high.

One day I saw it in daylight and it’s about 20 feet high. Gulp.

I take it a little more carefully these days

darrenspink
    Free Member

cvilla – Member
    bridge2 by Chris.cvilla, on Flickr
    Elterwater near Selwith, I love this bridge a great bit of engineering and art!

Nice

miketually
    Free Member

The “£5 note bridge” is just along from my house; Stephenson’s 1825 Stockton and Darlington Railway ran over it:

I don’t ride under it as the ‘towpath’ arches are currently bricked up, but it’ll hopefully soon be opened up and form part of a nice ride to work.

redthunder
    Free Member

Old Severn Bridge by SGMTB[/url], on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member

and the other one. Sadly cant cross on the bike with this one 🙂

Second Severn Crossing by SGMTB[/url], on Flickr

RoterStern
    Free Member

@bikebouy I used to ride over that bridge a lot too! Some of the bridges from today’s ride.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Bridges on your local rides.’ is closed to new replies.