Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Brexit now it's time to cut pensions
  • T1000
    Free Member

Now that the elderly have voted out its time that they share some of the pain that they are inflicting on the young

fadda

Interesting take. Because “the elderly” haven’t taken any hits, at all…?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    jim25

Really!
    So what about the elderly that voted remain?
    Do they get to keep theirs?
    What a stupid comment

craigxxl
    Free Member

If the future was Remain that want to punish people for not agreeing with them let’s be thankful they lost.

seosamh77
    Free Member

T1000 – Member
    Now that the elderly have voted out its time that they share some of the pain that they are inflicting on the young

you do know that we all get old? 😆

T1000
    Free Member

The elderly have been protected at the expense of other sectors of society

It’s stupid not to consider that all should share the pain

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but I thought it was all going to be awesome

dannybgoode

@mikeyw that only affects people with pension funds they are looking to turn into annuities in the near future.

Not those drawing an income from their existing annuities. If you’re a pensioner receiving £x a month a week ago you’re still going to be receiving £x a month for the future.

If however you’re retiring and need to cash your pension pot in for an annuity in the near future you’re knackered…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it was more in the jovial nature of the thread…

Harry_the_Spider

but I thought it was all going to be awesome

It is! £350m a week for each pensioner. I’m sure that somebody must have said that.

footflaps

$2Tn off the markets – pensions are kicked in the balls

That only affects people who have yet to retire in the private sector.

State pensioners or those with annuities are completely unaffected (although a devalued £ will affect their purchasing power).

The Triple Lock should compensate state pensioners though, so they don’t suffer the consequences of their vote (yet).

Personally I think if they voted out, we should just cut their state pension entitlement
    in half 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think this is th epoint

They got free education, they got massive house rises, they get “gold plated” pensions that they did not pay enough for because they get to live longer that they pass the cost on to the next generation

At some point those who have benefitted most and have lived better than we will and , what is worse, better than our kids have, need to join in with us in taking some pain

That said the real problems are rich folk/multinationals who avoid tax and poor folk targeting other poor folk is as daft as the working classes blaming immigrants for the fact [ global] capitalism shafts them.
    Lets also remember why we are poor and its not really pensioners – though they have got the better deal and this generation got a deal the likes of which no one else will see – oh and they got to retire earlier too.

pennine
    Free Member

I’m 69 and voted remain – does that mean I should be penalised?

A vast number of us aren’t on fancy pensions you know!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you think we will
    1) get more than you
    2) get less than you

In doing this do you think
    1) we will pay more than you
    2) pay less than you
    Again lets not go after the wrong targets but lets at least accept the deal you go tis better than the deal anyone else got and the ones getting the worse deal are paying for yours

footflaps

I’m 69 and voted remain – does that mean I should be penalised?

It’s called collateral damage 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

As George Osborne puts the finishing touches to his pre-election budget, to be delivered next Wednesday, the research from the Resolution Foundation, first published in the Guardian, found that pensioner households saw their incomes jump by almost 10% in real terms between 2007 and 2014. Working-age households suffered a 4% cut.

Granted, it’s from the Guardian. Same article:

oldnpastit

I think George Osborne said before the vote that the triple lock would have to be reviewed, along with every other item of government spending.

If tax receipts go down, government spending will have to follow.

If we want to be attractive to foreign investors from beyond the eu, we will need to cut taxes.

If we get fewer predominantly young migrants coming to the country and paying NI contributions there will be less money to go round for the remaining aging population.

Suck it up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s time to import some real leadership?
    https://www.jonahryanforcongress.com/helpfullinks/

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just been to the physio – the young girl on the reception had voted leave. Just been listening to LBC, lots of young people that voted leave have been on.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

you do know that we all get old?

A little less likely than it was on Wednesday…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

falkirk-mark

While a lot of youngsters are blaming the older folk for voting leave I have just read on the BBC website that there was a poor turnout of 18-24s (only based on the fact the places with most 18-24 had the worst turnout,it is also statistics). So instead of the young blaming the old maybe they should be blaming their mates for not getting up off their arses.

pennine
    Free Member

It’s called collateral damage

Thanks footflaps 🙂 I’m hardened to the young on STW thinking all their ills are because of pensioners 😉

Edit: some of the young

Moses

POint about the “free education” that the oldies were supposed to have: most left school at 16 to start work.
    Only 5% or so had post-18 education paid for by the state.

I know lots of young to middle aged people who voted leave – in fact, of any over 60’s I know, I’ve no idea which way they voted.

I’d say in the run up, maybe 1 in 5 people that I come across on a daily basis were actually remain.

footflaps

Just been to the physio – the young girl on the reception had voted leave. Just been listening to LBC, lots of young people that voted leave have been on.

One swallow etc.

Thanks footflaps I’m hardened to the young on STW thinking all their ills are because of pensioners

On the plus side (for you), as the young don’t bother voting as much as the old (at General Elections), they will continue to get shafted, so your triple lock is probably safe….

NB I’m middleaged, too young to be a baby boomer (missed the £1m house bought for £7.20 in the late 60s) and too old to be a millennial….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ever thought that these pensioners might have a lot more experience than you and therefore might well have been able to make a better informed decision than you ?

nick1962
    Free Member

they get “gold plated” pensions

Isn’t the average “gold plated”public sector pension actually less than the means tested pension credit?

POint about the “free education” that the oldies were supposed to have: most left school at 16 to start work.
    Only 5% or so had post-18 education paid for by the state.

+1 And that 5% includes nearly all the politicians involved in this debacle and who’ve been mismanaging the country for god knows how long.

igm

Removing the tripple lock isn’t punishment, just reality.

footflaps

Ever thought that these pensioners might have a lot more experience than you and therefore might well have been able to make a better informed decision than you ?

A few 100 years ago yes, but in modern society no. Things change so fast culturally, technologically etc that the wisdom of age is no longer such an obvious advantage; it’s more likely that they’re just completely out of touch with the modern world, sat in a care home reading the Daily Mail convinced the whole of the country is swarming with immigrants / blacks / jews or whatever is the bogey man de-jour….

pennine
    Free Member

Heading back to my oap care home on Thursday prior to voting 😀

Here I am on top of the Howgill Fells 4 weeks ago.
    Just saying we aren’t all in care homes reading the Daily Mail etc 😉

footflaps

Heading back to my oap care home on Thursday prior to voting

I hope you had a copy of the Daily Mail with you…..

pennine
    Free Member

How dare you say that footflaps – Daily Telegraph if you please.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

generation snowflake – its all about blame and their view is more important than anyone else’s

footflaps

How dare you say that footflaps – Daily Telegraph if you please.

Almost as bad, just with longer words 🙂

Although my parents tell me the gardening section is very good….

djc1245
    Free Member

did you forget your bike in the first pic? It looks all alone

zanelad
    Free Member

**** the young. They’ve time to save for their pensions, but they’ll do sod all and sue someone in 50 years time when they can’t afford to retire.

Why do these feckless wastrels feel they’re owed everything.

The old have paid their dues, time to pay them what’s owed

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thier dues means that they have not paid enough to cover the payments due to them and then passed this bill on to people who will have to pay more in their pensions than they did, get less back and then work longer.

pennine
    Free Member

did you forget your bike in the first pic? It looks all alone

All my biking friends are working & paying for my pension! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Brexit now it's time to cut pensions’ is closed to new replies.