Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Breakdancing could be an Olympic sport
  • technicallyinept
    Free Member

Under consideration for Paris 2024

It’s already featured in the Youth Olympics (which I didn’t know were a thing).

colp

Should the Olympics be more about sports where you throw things though?

Discus.

scotroutes

If you have to give style points it’s not a sport, it’s art. Furthest, Fastest, Highest. Not Prettiest.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Surfing, climbing and skateboarding will all debut at Tokyo 2020

funkmasterp

Will it be the shitty half pipe stuff for skateboarding?

Drac

Sounds like heaven.

mattyfez

If you have to give style points it’s not a sport, it’s art. Furthest, Fastest, Highest. Not Prettiest.

Diving is an Olympic sport though, that’s based on form and style rather than how fast you leave the platform and hit the water 😀

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Olympics is for amateurs right?

It’s just that I’ve started break dance battles in every continent I’ve been to…

scotroutes

Diving is an Olympic sport though, that’s based on form and style rather than how fast you leave the platform and hit the water

And your point is?

mattyfez

Errm…

scotroutes

I rest my case (see “figure skating”, synchronised swimming, etc)

markgraylish
    Free Member

FYI: The event is called the “Olympic Games” not the “Olympic Sports”…
    😉

mikey74
    Free Member

Anything that relies on the subjective judgement of a person should not be in the Olympics, or any other major sporting event for that matter. Therefore, break dancing should not be there, unless it’s how many head spins you can do before puking, or something like that.

Stainypants

All my kids breakdance and they love it, it’s far more relevant and accessible than something like modern pentathlon (which is anything but modern). If freestyle snowboarding, diving and gymnastics can be in the Olympics so can breakdancing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you look at the history of what has previously featured in the modern Olympics, it’s not all about sport. Art and architecture have also featured. Fancy a gold medal in sculpture or town planning anyone?

nickc

Also, gymnastics was included in the first modern Olympics, and that’s always had a subjective score element

eulach

A clear case of cultural appropriation.

dissonance

Anything that relies on the subjective judgement of a person

Boxing/Fencing are out then. Although supposed boxing could remain if changed to last one standing.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its good that it moves with the times. Keep bringing in new, popular sports, cull the outdated ones I say.

senorj

I’m with Scotroutes on the furthest ,fastest stuff but I’m torn because I do love a bit Torville & Dean 🙂
    Anyway I think we should go old skool…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Breakdancing could be an Olympic sport

The most dangerous of the equestrian events.

Haze

Will it be the shitty half pipe stuff for skateboarding?

Each to their own I guess!

Cougar

There’s an artistic element sure, that doesn’t make it “art.” All of disciplines cited here are still largely technical, the judges all know how difficult it is to perform a triple half-swordfish with a U-bend or whatever.

Look at diving scores, all the judges generally give points that are within a couple of tenths of a point of each other. If it were entirely subjective there’d be a lot more variance between them.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cone on guys, they’ve already let BMX in…

Stoner
    Free Member

If the relentless march of doping continues, measuring quantifiable limits reduces the sport to an exercise in mechanics and science not human achievement.

If anything, artistic judgement might one day be the only remaining true measure un-tainted by cheating!

scuttler

I’m up for this so long as they make them wear a tracksuit over their tracksuit. Nuff static to power a ghettoblaster.

kayak23

Funky fresh!

DezB
    Free Member

Isn’t actual breakdancing a bit old hat now. Surely it should be that bonebreaking stuff

trumpton
    Free Member

I hope it makes it in. Give the young uns and older ones like me a specitale.

kayla1
    Free Member

Listen, if **** dressage (really?) and rhythmic gymnastics can be in, why can’t breakdancing?

convert

Should it be in the Olympics and is it a sport are arguably different thresholds.

Breakdancing not being a sport is not particularly contentious I don’t think.Dance competition yes, sport no. There are plenty of other pursuits I’d also classify as not a sport – Darts, Snooker, shooting would not make it if I ruled the world. I’m also no fan of any sport watched on TV where the commentators are not able to tell you almost instantaneously if what you have just watched has won or not and are frequently shocked when the results comes out. Boxing, diving, all the various snow/ice fannying about sports etc.

There are also sports/pursuits that I think loose their purity and appeal when they are engineered into competitive events – I’ll start with surfing and climbing.

The Olympic Games – I think of it as an international festival of competition now rather than sporting event. You dip in an out as you wish. I’d like to see the medal tables the media like to shove up removed – they give some sort of illusion that the individual events have some sort of equity. Just take each event in isolation and either enjoy it or flip over to one you do. My only caveat for inclusion is that an Olympic gold is the highest accolade attainable in that event – if it isn’t you don’t merit a slot.

slowoldman

The event is called the “Olympic Games”

So should include Ludo and Snakes and Ladders.

The ancient Greek Olympics included singing, musicianship and oratory.

Anyway much as I have loved rock climbing I don’t see “pulling on plastic” as a spectator sport, less so an Olympic sport.

Cougar

Climbing is very watchable IMHO, when it’s a talented climber.

slowoldman

Oh I enjoy watching a top notch climber on rock. Not so much on a wall.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you want to cull events, why not bin the ones where the Olympics is NOT the pinicle of that sport. So football, tennis and road racing are out.

scruff
    Free Member

If skateboarders or BMX freestylers have to wear team strips, a part of me will die inside.

funkmasterp

If skateboarders or BMX freestylers have to wear team strips, a part of me will die inside.

Me too. I hope it’s street skating and not halfpipe. Shut down a section of the host city and let the free flowing line choices commence. Have Rodney Mullen and Daewon Song as judges.

mogrim

If you want to cull events, why not bin the ones where the Olympics is NOT the pinicle of that sport. So football, tennis and road racing are out.

I’d get rid of all the nearly duplicate events, which means losing half of athletics and swimming. And probably indoor cycling.

convert

I’d get rid of all the nearly duplicate events, which means losing half of athletics and swimming. And probably indoor cycling.

To me, once you stop thinking about the medals table the sports with multiple events become a non problem. Some sports, like track cycling, have many individual events within a championship as part of their culture. Other sports like field hockey don’t. It’s only when you start tallying up results on a single table and funding sports by the number of medals that can be won that you run into trouble.

funkmasterp

I think horse dancing should expand to include other rideable mammals. Camel dancing anyone?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Breakdancing could be an Olympic sport’ is closed to new replies.