• This topic has 3,406 replies, 193 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 3,407 total)
  • Brazil 2014. The World Cup thread
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Got to the pub at 0-1 we pull a goal back but then what are we doing s *** or bust ? Hart was horrible for the second goal – scored down the middle as he drops under it. England cant defend an up and under.

Rooney isn’t a centre forward he’s an attacking midfielder good for the odd goal. Suarez is a centre forward.

All sadly predictable.

IanW
    Free Member

Calm down petal it’s possible to follow more than one sport you know and some of us are no longer suprised when England turn out to be shite at football.

theotherjonv

That’s why the games are played at the same time. Uruguay can’t take a draw because a CR draw will likely put them out. It might get to a late stage where a wink and a nod might happen, but not at the outset.

Klunk
    Free Member

#Hodgsonout is now trending on twitter, not looking good for liverpool!

scotroutes

Seems a bit of a shame that some decent teams will be put out so early in the tournament. Isn’t there an argument for fewer, larger groups (though I can see that this might lead to too many games)? It would reduce the impact of freak results.

Jamie
    Free Member

Still the best WC in recent memory…

seosamh77
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Seems a bit of a shame that some decent teams will be put out so early in the tournament. Isn’t there an argument for fewer, larger groups (though I can see that this might lead to too many games)? It would reduce the impact of freak results.

nobodies went out to freak results though, england and spain both got fairly beaten in their 2 games.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh FFS.

pondo

Bah – we weren’t terrible, Uruguay shut us down pretty good butthe lads were all right, just Suarez took his part-chances and we didn’t. It’s over, but at least we played some sparky, entertaining football, not the result I wanted but que sera.

The endless negativity and “told you so”s on facebook are killing me.

pondo

Still the best WC in recent memory…

Seconded. 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

Jamie – Freeloader! But we still like him
    Oh FFS.

:mrgreen:

Jamie
    Free Member

Seconded.

Just a shame more of the home nations couldn’t have been there.

stanfree
    Free Member

Despite being a jock I was actually rooting for ‘Woy’s’ mob. I think they have played well in both games and for the first time in years the English media haven’t hyped them up , I’ve barely heard the dreaded 1966 mentioned at all. The Italy game the difference was Pirlo and Uruguay was obviously Suarez. I cant remember the last time England a player of either’s quality in their squad. Years ago I’d have been chuffed by an early England exit but I think It will lessen the interest In the WC In general, With almost 50 years gone since 1966 It must hit home that England aren’t up there with Germany . Spain , France or Italy in the big european teams.
    Back to the game , yes Gerrard made an error but I think for all his good looks and brylcream Hart is no great shakes as a keeper.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Seconded.

nah, the turgid fitba would have killed this tourney stone dead! Be like have another three Iran’s in the groups, 4 if ye count the republic!

stanfree
    Free Member

‘seosamh77’ Agreed , yer not such a bad lad after all. 😉 😀

binners

Must… stop… staying … up… until … one …every … night … Watching … Football……..

seosamh77
    Free Member

😀 incidently I don’t support any national teams. Only watch international fitba when the tourneys come up, and I never have any particular allegiance apart from hoping attacking fitba wins out!

binners

This match is pants though

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes it is !

Jamie
    Free Member

To my shame, I fell asleep at half time.

DrJ

Just another afternoon on Merseyside – Gerrard feeds Suarez, and the woeful Jagielka is nowhere to be seen.

Jamie
    Free Member

Today’s inaccurate predictions:

Italy v Costa Rica – 2-2
    Swiss v France – 1-3
    Ecuador v Honduras – 2-0, with Honduras to get a player sent off.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Better together

Jamie
    Free Member
    stoffel
    Free Member

Suarez is an amazing player. The more the British media tries to knock him down, the more he turns that energy into becoming an even better player. He learns from his mistakes, improves and moves on. If only the England team could do the same.

Jamie
    Free Member

The more the British media tries to knock him down, the more he turns that energy into becoming an even better player.

I would say he is just a world class player. Doubt he even gives a shit what the papers say.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Suarez is an amazing player. The more the British media tries to knock him down, the more he turns that energy into becoming an even better player. He learns from his mistakes, improves and moves on. If only the England team could do the same.

No one doubts he’s a fabulous footballer, whether he learns from his mistakes is a different matter. The biting incident wasn’t his first. A more ordinary player would have been sold after the racism ban, the fact is he gets away with a lot as he’s such a talented player.

stoffel
    Free Member

And he’s let that taltent shine by maturing , pulling his socks up and getting on with becoming an even better player. Fair play to him.

Wayne Rooney, on the other hand, has always struggled following any controversy (and there have been many in his career), and simply hasn’t ever become the player his young talent suggested.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a sad state of affairs when you have to be good at dealing with media controversy and rockstar levels of fame and money, rather than simply playing football.

jambalaya
    Free Member

simply hasn’t ever become the player his young talent suggested

This is why SAF dropped him, ManU and Moyes in desperation offered him a ridiculous contract which if they don’t regret already they will be doing so in short order. Rooney needs to play off a genuine centre forward, like RVP. As someone posted above he’s a very good club player but he is very far from being a world class international

Northwind

It’s the World Cup! Scotland couldn’t qualify for the Scottish Cup.

soobalias
    Free Member

i dont want Italy to do us a favour tonight, c’mon the ‘Rica, put us out of our misery for another two years. Whats the alternative, scrape out of a group on goal difference and suffer two further rounds of 90mins, maybe plus extra time and penalties, been there, done that, no thanks.

We have been a million miles better than we were four years ago, be grateful for that and move on.

Hodgson to stay – fickle footy fans do the country no favours

Final match – c’mon Roy, time for a blaze of glory, or even a little flash in the pan. Shaw, Wilshire, Oxlade, Barkley, Llana all to start.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Lets hope RM come in for Suarez, still can’t believe Arsenals £40m +£1 bid last year :facepalm:.

Rooney despite his bag full of medals could have become a great imo, so much talent but as SAF said in his autobiography he’s a lazy trainer, his physical conditioning is a joke, compare and contrast him and CRonaldo. Also believe his natural position is a number 10 rather than a 9 and I suppose the recent ish trend of playing only one striker has mitigated against this.

PrinceJohn

Today’s predictions…

Italy v Costa Rica – 2-0
    Swiss v France – 1-1
    Ecuador v Honduras – 0-0, with Honduras to get more than one player sent off.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rooney is shit because everyone around him is shit.
    Same as gerrard

was that the Gerrard you see for Liverpool?

Engerland fans always like to blame one player… blaming one of your best who set up and scored your only two goals shows why neutrals just shake their heads in disbelief at you lot as fans.

SUPPORT YOUR TEAM
    ENCOURAGE YOUR PLAYERS
    BE REALISTIC

You do none of these and it does not help the team perform
    Hopelessly optimistic, overly critical still think you are world beaters.

Simple fact is Italy and [ Suarez] are better than them

Deal with it without blaming one player, certainly one of your better players.

England will always be a very competent side, should always make the World cup, may have the odd decent run but that is it..
    It is like getting upset because Spurs dont win the League.

stoffel
    Free Member

compare and contrast him and CRonaldo

Rooney will at least still give it his all, even when his team are losing. CRonaldo goes missing whenever things aren’t going his way. This was the main criticism when he was at MU, and is still the case now.

Final match – c’mon Roy, time for a blaze of glory, or even a little flash in the pan. Shaw, Wilshire, Oxlade, Barkley, Llana all to start.

Hodgson’s already lining up his next job somehwere abroad. I doubt he’ll do anything wild at this stage, but it’s a nice idea.

stoffel
    Free Member

It is like getting upset because Spurs dont win the League.

What perfect way of summing things up! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Hopelessly optimistic, overly critical still think you are world beaters.

You know, I haven’t seen or heard a single person saying that England are world beaters. However I have seen and heard dozens of people berating these people who don’t exist.

It’s almost as if you want to hate people who don’t exist.. what a strange idea.. 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

It is like getting upset because Spurs Athletico Madrid dont win the League.

doh! 😉

pondo

I thought we were fearless against Italy, but looked scared of losing last night, nervous and edgy like we more normally tend to be in tournaments. I did wonder about Gerrardo and Lamps doing their little speech about the pain of going home early from tournaments – surely that’s not in Dr Peters’ book of How To Manipulate The Mind So As Not To Be Worried About Not Winning And Instead Perform At Your Best.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 3,407 total)

The topic ‘Brazil 2014. The World Cup thread’ is closed to new replies.