• This topic has 3,406 replies, 193 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 3,407 total)
  • Brazil 2014. The World Cup thread
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Its time to start the discussions on Brazil ’14. So many questions:

Does anyone think England will progress out of the groups?

Will the home team cruise to victory?

Will Shrek manage his first goal in a tournament since 1927?

Will Woy pick youth over experience?

Will Suarez recover from surgery to face England?

So many questions, but who has the answers??

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Its time to start the discussions on Brazil ’14. So many questions:

Does anyone think England will progress out of the groups?

Will the home team cruise to victory?

Will Shrek manage his first goal in a tournament since 1927?

Will Woy pick youth over experience?

Will Suarez recover from surgery to face England?

So many questions, but who has the answers??

Erm, No?

soobalias
    Free Member

IF england get past the group and somehow find themselves in the Quarters….

would they be more likely to play on the Friday or the Saturday – this is a potential clash with a riding weekend

oh and Rooney to finally score, but not a goal of great importance in the overall scheme of things.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Seriously, it will be the usual “we can win this” bluff and bluster. Lucky if england get to the 1/4 finals, but its a tough group. Italy, no chance, after that a couple of 0-0 draws and home for an extended summer holiday.***

*** i am no expert, and I am welsh, not english , so I dont give a fig. 😀

Rockape63
    Free Member

Seriously, it will be the usual “we can win this” bluff and bluster.

Actually for probably the first time ever, no seems to think we stand the slightest chance of winning it….which is almost certainly true! 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

I could be quite open this year: Brazil and Spain aren’t at their best and the likes of Belgium, Uruguay, Argentina etc could steal in. I’d really like someone other than Spain and Brazil to win it this year.

England? If all our attacking players play well, teams are going to struggle with our pace so we could do OK. It’s the defence that is worrying, and probably the reason why we won’t win it.

timc
    Free Member

My predictions for how each group will pan out

Group A
    Brazil
    Croatia
    Mexico
    Cameroon

Group B
    Netherlands
    Spain
    Chile
    Australia

Group C
    Colombia
    Côte d’Ivoire
    Greece
    Japan

Group D
    Italy
    England
    Uruguay
    Costa Rica

Group E
    France
    Ecuador
    Switzerland
    Honduras

Group F
    Argentina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Iran
    Nigeria

Group G
    Germany
    Portugal
    Ghana
    USA

Group H
    Belgium
    Russia
    Korea Republic
    Algeria

Which I believe would mean a Colombia v England game:)

soobalias
    Free Member

ok, im with you so far.

now to get carried away, we beat colombia and become quarterfinalist 2? so the 9pm slot on the friday.

anyone care to recommend a pub in Mach to watch the match?

Suarez will start, but be off form.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I still remember Italia 90 when we beat Cameroon to get to the Semi’s. The streets of Guildford were like something out of South America that night….car horns, flags, high fives, cheering! Was great! 😀

If against the odds we could do well, the country would UNITE!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yyyyyes World Cup can’t wait. What will be in the montage at the end of the tournement? Zidane SMASHING that dude in the chest can never be topped 🙂 but the bitey racist my surpass himself if he plays

England to the semis, Germany to win!

timc
    Free Member

soobalias – Member

ok, im with you so far.

now to get carried away, we beat colombia and become quarterfinalist 2? so the 9pm slot on the friday.

I think we would have Brazil or Holland if that came true! 😕

chewkw
    Free Member

Germany to win the World Cup against Brasil. 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

it will be holland.

i bought an orange t-shirt on cup final day when i had relatives down from Hull.
    Will pack it for Wales – the locals might be more friendly 🙂

timc
    Free Member

soobalias – Member
    Wales / locals / friendly

Not in the way you might expect 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

France to win it. You heard it here first.

chewkw
    Free Member

England out first round. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m going to miss the second half of it 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I shall be supporting ze Germans. Then Honduras, Ecuador and Switzerland.

…and anybody else playing France.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I shall be in Italy for some of it so…

forza Azzurri!

if England get out of their group it will be by default having bored everybody else to death

Jamie
    Free Member

…and anybody else playing France.

Guess you won’t be watching the BBC coverage?

andytherocketeer

It’s kind of a relief to not be located in the location of a major tournament for a change.
    I’m guessing evening matches will be finishing quite late at night UK/EU time?
    Hope lights are charged ready for night rides.

donald
    Free Member

Good luck to all my English chums. If you win I will pop down to Berwick for the street party.

Jamie
    Free Member

Meanwhile, on a lighter note…

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kq10KtY.jpg[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/YDvILko.jpg[/img]

…and to back up my France shout, here is Giroud last night against Norway.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dHbEvY4_k0[/video]

johndoh
    Free Member

I am looking forward to it, I won’t make a prediction as it won’t have a basis in the eventual outcome – I am simply looking forward to sitting back and enjoying a feast of football.

And endlessly repeating to my wife ‘I know this isn’t England playing, I know I support England, but I enjoy watching football’.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to all the bitching about ‘the Wendyball’ on here.

Gonna be awesome.

loddrik
    Free Member

England will get knocked out in the group stage. I will laugh heartily.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’m talking my oldest to see the friendly tonight.

I suspect that it’s going to be a bit of a case of ‘who’s that?’!

DezB
    Free Member

Sweepstake in the the office…
    I’ve got.. Croatia 🙁

PrinceJohn

the 1966 final is on ‘Live’ today…

yossarian
    Free Member

Argentina are my bet to win it.

If England are adventurous then we should get out of the group and to perhaps a quarter final. I fully expect to watch a lot of long ball bollocks in the last 20 minutes of games and plenty of utterly pointless sideways passes as our usual attempts to ape the creative skills of the continentals go tits up again. 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

I do wonder if the usual media frenzy over england in the world cup will push the Scots into voting Yes.

Rockape63
    Free Member

and plenty of utterly pointless sideways passes as our usual attempts to ape the creative skills of the continentals

lol…yes sadly they are told possession is 99% of the game and as a result keep playing the easy pass, rather than risk anything like a forward pass. Cashly is a great defender but watching him belt up the pitch come face to face with a defender and then pass it backwards is sooo painful! I’m hopeful Baines continues to take on the defender and improves our attacking options.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it was Curry’s offering some deal which includes EITHER £10 cashback per England goal or £5 cashback per Brazil goal. Hmm.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jamie, after experiencing WC in SA, I have some sympathy with those murals.

Still and somewhat hypocritically, I will still be watching! I hope Woy just says **** it, picks youth and goes for it in a L’pool kind of way. We know we can’ today skilful footie so why bother, let’s go for typical English footie with some youthful verve. If nothing else it will be better than waiting for the usual set piece miracle.

botanybay
    Free Member

Argentina-Belgium final would be my bet.

England can’t do any worse than usual and the team doesn’t look bad at all. Lambert to score more than Rooney, Welbeck ti do a dance and Lamps to point to the sky, for a relative who must have died sometime in 1983.

Love the World Cup and cannat wait!

binners

We’ll be absolutely awful! As always! We’ll go at Italy like a bunch of headless chickens, they’ll soak it up (not difficult when you can actually defend) then take us apart on the counter. As yossarian said, the second half will be England reverting to type, and hoofing woefully optimistic long balls up front, and then realising they forgot to bring Andy Carrol.

We’re not getting out of the group. Simple as that. If you think otherwise, you’re delusional. I might have an outside bet on us going out having failed to score

Having said that, once that pathetic sideshow is out of the way, there should be some quality football. I reckon Spain or Argentina to win it, Belgium as the dark horses

legspin
    Free Member

I will be in the Alps for nearly 3 weeks of it. So hopefully I will miss most of the action hype. It is a shame as I really used to loved the world cup.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Well Roony has just departed after 64mins. Totally anonymous……doesn’t bode well!

As for the team performance. Not bad, a reasonable effort so far.

Jamie
    Free Member

Listening to the match, and it seems the fans are entertaining themselves by throwing paper aeroplanes.

The only plus side I can ascertain, is that the ****ing England band are not there.

soobalias
    Free Member

thought wayne did ok for a first match back, his wandering is less of a problem when we dont just play rooney+1 up front.

they seemed a little jittery, but they have all said they havent trained for that game but been pretty full on all week

best bit is Roy handling the media, hes fantastic, always positive and wont be drawn into saying something the tabloids can twist too much.
    asked about rooney after last nights match he simply said he was happy and he has a hat full of strikers (which isnt too far from the truth) and that he wont be making any decisions for another two weeks. I suspect he handles the players a little differently. good.

Sterling got a little run out and looked good. Roys selection worries so far are too many choices – apart from maybe Johnson, who i thought was a liability at times.

er, band was there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 3,407 total)

The topic ‘Brazil 2014. The World Cup thread’ is closed to new replies.