Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • brakey pads…. cheapo ones….
  • alpin
    Free Member

need to get some more pads after spending the last two weeks in Vinschgau and what with winter coming up and all that…..

i threw away one set of Shimano metal pads as they were so freaking noisy and had relatively little stopping power.

what are your opinions on Clarks and Nukeproof pads in either organic, resin or sintered versions? thinking that 4 sets of Clarks organic at a 5er is better than one set of Shimano metal/resin pads.

brakes are the old and new SLX if that makes any difference.

Northwind

Still using Superstar kevlar on everything, best allround pad I’ve used. Can be a wee bit noisy though so you might not like that. And a little sensitive to being bedded in right.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Don’t know about nukeproof but my clarkes (hope) pads didn’t last long. For some from uberbikecomponents recently and they seem great. Quiet and long lasting plus at least as good as the superstar kevlars

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Discobrakes do the kevlar ones as well, but with less octopus!

Taff
    Free Member

I’m using Alligator pads from XC racer and they are very good so far. Long lasting and good performance

Jason
    Free Member

I have switched to the XCracer Alligator ones and have been very pleased with them. Great for the money, and turned up quickly in the post.

PaulD
    Free Member

+1 for the Semi-metallic Alligators from XC Racer…..4 sets for £20 and they work.

PaulD

thomthumb
    Free Member

discobrakes FTW

http://www.discobrakes.com/

andytherocketeer

Brake pads is one area I won’t skimp on any more. Of every component on the bike, brakes are like the most safety critical part.

I used 2pr of sintered pads from that cheap place that I won’t mention on here. Stopping power was naff compared to stock Formula organic, and in sub 300km in Morzine they were worn to the point that the metal spring bit was contacting the discs! Didn’t have time to throw them away! Had to do a roadside pad change just to get home.

If I’m gonna save £20 on a 2 grand bike, it’ll be somewhere else. I want the best, regardless of cost.

superfli
    Free Member

I find the Clarks organics great and lnog lasting. I suppose it depends on mud and how you drag your brakes. My rears lasted April-July which included a week DH’ing and XC in Pila/Tarentaise Alps

FuzzyWuzzy

By contrast my Formula OEM organic pads lasted less than 50km whereas the Superstar Kevlar ones last ages (at least if bedded in).

Northwind

andytherocketeer – Member

I want the best, regardless of cost.

I agree- that’s why I use the superstar kevlars tbh, rather than putting my faith in expensive = good.

spudnick
    Free Member

Recently put nukeproof trail pads on my blue pig and they are ace. so much better than the original hayes pads that it came with

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘brakey pads…. cheapo ones….’ is closed to new replies.