Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brakes / shifters: inboard or outboard?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Or just personal preference?

I have my brake levers on the inside and I use 2 fingers to brake. Feels comfortable to me but I’m going to have a play tomorrow with the shifters inboard so that I can give this 1 fingered braking a shot.

Feel free to post pics of your stem/bars/levers/brakes and grips if you’re bored.

andrewh
    Free Member

Pesonal preference. Mostly I have shifters in-board (XTR M970 and Formula R1 on the two XC bikes)
    Got a mix on the big bike shifter inboard on the right (Formula The One and XTR M970) and shifter outboard on the left (Formula The One and XTR M950)
    If it feels right it is right.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Personal preference, although sometimes you find the design of the brake lever and/or shifter mean they can only go one way. My shifters have to go outside the brake levers, which limits how inboard I can mount the brake levers for comfortable one-finger use.

legend
    Free Member

Brakes setup for one finger braking, shifters setup around that (which will generally mean shifters outboard). Any other way of doing just seems wrong

cookeaa

Brake lever is a long way inboard on mine with the shifter about half way between the grip and brake lever.

Personal preference coupled with whatever combination of brake/shifters/grips and size/shape of hands you have.

But do persevere with single finger braking, it makes sense once you’ve gotten used to it. Control setup is part of this so good call thinking about adjusting it…

Northwind

Wherever feels right, for that particular combo. Mine aren’t all set up the same even though I use the same brakes and almost the same gears on everything.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Formula Oro k18 and XT shifters. Just swapped them round as I realised I’m not on an early shift tomorrow so will ride to work and see how it feels. ALWAYS 2 finger brakes since my bmx days. Seems alien right now but I’m sure it’ll work out.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

First outing today with the levers inboard. Felt really good. Actually was a real help as it was 34 degrees and I forgot my gloves. My hands were sweating like mad! Before riding I was a little nervous as I expected not to have any power in just one finger but it’s the brake that does the work really. Result.

Clong
    Free Member

… it was 34 degrees..

May your next poo be a hedgehog…

Not jealous, not me. At all.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

gears inboard

Sram x9 shifters om both bikes,
    one bike has avid juicy and the other hayes stroker trail

still got one finger braking, just used the mounting options on the Sram shifters to get best position.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brakes / shifters: inboard or outboard?’ is closed to new replies.