Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Brakes – I want some nice ones that aren't Avid…
  • chris_db
    Free Member

So, I have Elixir 7s on my Nerve AM, they work fine but the Avid bleeding method is a pain in the proverbial.

What alternatives would you recommend with an easy bleed process and plenty of power to slow a fat bloke down…?

Chris

alfabus
    Free Member

Shimano </thread>

rotary
    Free Member

Shimano all the way for me! no nasty dot4 brake fluid either just nice old mineral oil.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

^ this.

Choose the ones you can afford, fit, go ride, forget

glupton1976
    Free Member

Eh – avid bleed process is pretty easy.

Although I would admit that I too hate avid brakes, but at £30 and end and lasting a year or so, they are considered as consumables by me.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Hope! Nuff said 😀

davesmate
    Free Member

Yep, another Shimano convert here. Wouldn’t have anything else these days

Conan257
    Free Member

Hopes all the way!

Northwind

Budget? Shimano for cheap, Formula for expensive. Modern Shimano are so good that there’s not much argument for buying anything else til you get to the top end.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Hope Tech Evo’s. Awesome brakes 😀

james
    Free Member

“Eh – avid bleed process is pretty easy”
    +1
    Just read the instructions as you go along step by step, and it’ll go alright

Joe

Shimano brakes are used by the majority who have been in the game long enough and been through various hope/avid/hayes sets over the years. Fit them, forget them.

druidh
    Free Member

+1

If you don’t like maintenance, Shimano are the most “fit and forget” option.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Hope.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I’ve used some formulas, shimano, hope and hayes. I LOVE my 3 1/2 sets of hayes stroker trail/carbons. They are very very cheap second hand and very easy to bleed. I believe its the same process as avid. Only problem I have had with them is the piston in the lever is prone to wearing and wobbling however this isn’t such a problem on the trails and carbons as opposed to the rydes. I use a set of trails on my MTB tandem with a 200/180mm rotor setup. They work great for a <300 pound team and a >400 pound team.

Hopes were okay but lacking in power (M4s), formulas are bonkers but very little modulation for me as they were probably to powerful. The shimano i’ve used were good and nice and reliable in terms of stopping power, feel etc but I hated bleeding them with a passion.

IME
    Hayes – good power, feel, easy to bleed.
    slight lever wobble.

shimano – pretty good power, reasonable feel.
    hated bleeding.

hope – okay power, lots of modulation
    never wanted to bleed them given how complicated my brother made it
    sound

formula – crazy powerful
    not much modulation but they were to big for my weight. easy bleed if i’m correct.

burgatedicky

Another shimano vote here, good example of fit-and-forget engineering, and mine required almost no fettling to set up.
    As for the forthcoming (I expect) SLX vs XT debate I’ve used both now, on two bikes, and can’t really see too much benefit between paying more the XT bling.

nashwaymule
    Free Member

My hope Tech X2’s have performed admirably but not the most powerful of brakes IMO. They do look the dogs 🙂
    Like the other posters above Shimano work a treat and require very little fettling.

nosedive
    Free Member

I moved to xt 785s due to avid reliability issues. They are really easy to set up and bleed. I broke a lever in a crash and it took about 10 mins to fit a new one and bleed. I also like that parts are available and relatively cheap (£35 for new XT lever from CRC)

Since then I have bought a set of new SLX as well, which are also good although they dont have the bite point adjust. I shortened the hose on these and they didn’t even need bleeding.

Power and modulation on both sets are excellent. Good price too on Merlin. £150 a pair for SLX, £200 per pair for XT

cardo

I use both Hope and Shimano….

Hope’s do look fantastic with that lovely machined finish and mine have been uber reliable in all conditions, plus Hope’s back up and warranty for all their gear is superb if needed.

Shimano: recently bought a 2nd hand set of the older XT’s and they too are brill and do the job just not as pretty to look at.

mrben100
    Free Member

Formula for me. Heavy rider but great stopping power.

I’ve not had the faff factor some have had – but isn’t that the same for a products?

EDIT: as in ‘I’m a heavy rider but they still have great stopping power)

mrjmt
    Free Member

Just posted a PSA for cheap formula brakes.

Northwind

TBh re Formula faff, I thought that was all user error til I got my The One FRs and they turned out to be a total bollocks. It’s like someone tore off the Avid sticker and put Formula on them instead :mrgreen: But not a problem I’ve had with multiple sets of ancient Oros and new Ones.

My XTs gave me some grief tbh, but were still good. New ones are better still.

ds3000
    Free Member

Got Shimano Deore from Rosebikes for 70 quid last year and they’ve been flawless, ime truly fit and forget.

Used hope/avid/formula before and was always having to adjust/fix something or other.

MrGreedy

Another vote for Shimano. Very very powerful (despite the fact I’m not exactly a whippet), and changing pads etc. is a piece of piss compared to the Avids I had previously.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve had avid, hope, shimano and formula.
    The Hopes were nice to own; easy to bleed, looked nice and easily serviced with unmatched support. A little heavy and not as powerful but that is not the be and end all.
    The shimano XTs I have are a revelation. Light, cheap, powerful, look good. There is nothing not to like about them.
    The Formulas were nice although I don’t get where all of these “hugely powerful” claims come from unless its people who haven’t tried the new XTs. They are more powerful than the hopes and avids though. They also ate pads and the little rubber washer in the levers was a PITA!
    Avids aren’t worth mentioning in the same company. Simply rubbish.

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano are so good that there’s not much argument for buying anything else til you get to the top end.

What do Formula offer that XTR don’t? I love the feel of my XTRs, wees all over the Avid XX I had before.

uwe-r
    Free Member

My old bike had elixers that I fitted myself, no problems in 3 years – fit and forget.

New Bike has XT. I had to swap the hoses over from USA style left = front, this I managed no bother, I was impressed. No problems yet and very similar to the exliers in terms of feel and power.

I have not had to bleed either.

Conclusion – not much between them, I would have either if buying again.

ricardo666
    Free Member

shimano xt is the ones you want. doddle to bleed, superstar pads are great, citroen suspension fluid and a spanner/tube for the bleed kit.

cost practically nothing to look after 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I need another set of XTs; rosebikes are out of stock.
    Anyone know where the best deal to be had is? I’ve had a look around but was hoping someone had a steer.
    I’d prefer the black ones if possible.

tommo999
    Free Member

I changed from Avid to Shimano recently. Wish I did it sooner tbh. = Happy Tommo 😀

Northwind

njee20 – Member

What do Formula offer that XTR don’t? I love the feel of my XTRs, wees all over the Avid XX I had before.

Comparing with The Ones- less weight, bit more power, and different character in power and ergonomics. The last two aren’t better or worse obviously but will appeal to different tastes.

Also parts availability’s more of a consideration with expensive brakes- I didn’t mind having to treat XT calipers as consumables but I’d not be pleased if an XTR lever died on me. With Formula every part is easily available.

wrecker
    Free Member

£190 for a pair from Merlin:

Thanks but F*** THAT!
    not including rotors? I paid less for mine including ice tec rotors and adaptors!

andyrm
    Free Member

Shimano Zee. Massive power, I reckon more modulation than the XT/XTR ones, cheap as chips and easy to fit, bleed and then not have to ever think about again.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Personally dont like the lever feel of the modern Shimano brakes, must be the servo wave thing doin its biz

Hope Tech m4’s for the last two years, changed pads when needed and only time I ever bled them was to shorten the cables

ansdy

I can’t understand how people get so frustrated with the avid method- it’s a total doodle.

I used to have a pair of xt’s until they needed spares….which don’t seem to exist! Unlike avids whos spares are easily available

Trekster

£190 for a pair from Merlin:
    Thanks but F*** THAT!
    not including rotors? I paid less for mine including ice tec rotors and adaptors!

+1 Needed new brakes for “summer” time and searched for some of this years must have”XT” and came to the same conclusion. Not only that there were some duff units going around that leaked fluid from hoses and some dodgy piston seals.

Being happy with my 7 year old Hayes I was replacing for something more modern to go to the Alps I got some Primes from Merlin and had some change left over for other stuff 😆

I have some very old Deore which are or we’re ok in there day

I also have some old Hope 4pot M4s which are crap and will be replaced, punted in favour of more Hayes in the new year 😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

About a year ago, I bought the M785 XTs from Rose for the Five I was building, with 180/180 rotors.
    They have been faultless.

I was so impressed that, about six months ago, I bought another set of the same from Rose for the Rockhopper, replacing it’s previous M775 XTs. 180/160 rotors.
    They have been faultless.

Last week, I ordered a third set from Rose for a Patriot build. Received 3 days later. Now even cheaper thanks to ex-rate. Not expecting them to be any different to the others. Just upped the rotors again to 203/203.

sweepy
    Free Member

I used to be of the ‘avids are a doddle’ opinion, and mine are still fine after 4 years or so. Then I got brought a set that had the lever to the bar issue and nothing ive found works.
    If im missing anything i’d love to know.

oxym0r0n

Magura? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Brakes – I want some nice ones that aren't Avid…’ is closed to new replies.