Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brake levers for a 16" kid's bike
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m currently fettling a bike for the 6 year old that lives next door. One of the brake levers is goosed, the barrel adjuster is mashed and the thread isn’t the same as a normal brake lever.

I’m after a decent, metal brake lever to suit a bike as small as this. I can find plenty that’ll suit bigger bikes, 20″ and up, in metal and plenty that’ll suit this that’re plastic. The plastic ones look like they won’t survive the abuse long enough to last until his little brother takes over it and I’d rather that was the case.

Oh, and must cost less than £27 😉

Looked on the Islabike site hoping they’d sell spares but unfortunately not, scoured ebay too with no success. Any ideas?

onandon
    Free Member

Junior brake lever brings up 40+ results on eBay. Not sure why these aren’t suitable or why you didn’t find them.

stevied
    Free Member

I used an XT lever on the balance bike I built. The throw was a little long so made a spacer that fits into the inside of the barrel adjuster to move the lever nearer the bars.

munrobiker
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cycling/7294/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=kids+brake+lever

They are all, apart from one single right hand lever (it’s a left that’s dead) and some that’re for 20″ bikes plus so much larger, plastic. Which, as I’ve found on this bike, isn’t up to the job.

mildbore

Do islabikes sell their levers separately? Best kids brakes I’ve come across

SammyC
    Free Member

Tektro 325s:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tektro-ts325a-junior-mtb-v-brake-levers-pair/

These are identical to the ones on my sons Islabike Beinn20.

slackboy

Looked on the Islabike site hoping they’d sell spares but unfortunately not, scoured ebay too with no success. Any ideas?

Suggestions above are probably better (e..g SammyC), but islabikes do sell spares for their bikes if you phone them.

munrobiker
    Free Member

SammyC- that’s good, I’d written them off as too big (given that the photo doesn’t give any sense of scale) but I’ll go for them, thanks.

samunkim
    Free Member

The little grub screw (covered in threadlock in the picture) will reduce throw for small hands, but also reduce pad travel , so remember to bring them in closer as well

SammyC
    Free Member

I have a Cnoc 16 at home too, I’ll do a visual check when I get in to see if they are all the same lever.

SammyC
    Free Member

Saying that, my 5 yo is on the Beinn 20 large and is fine with those levers (grub screwed in like samunkim said)

SammyC
    Free Member

Cnoc 16 levers are slightly small than those on the beinn. Weirdly they are branded tektro

BearBack
    Free Member

Tektro JL510. Stock on my kids 16″ and used on my other kids 20″
    Presumably JL means Junior Lever
    The important thing is how close the pivot is to the bar and the resulting distance of the lever from the bar so its still mostly parallel when you’ve wound teh grub screw in to create a small finger gap, not the length of the lever itself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brake levers for a 16" kid's bike’ is closed to new replies.