Home Forums Bike Forum Bowerdale and the calf … worth it ?

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Bowerdale and the calf … worth it ?
  • bikesandboots

Gnarthwaite

I was disappointed to find out that this was a typo.

martinhutch

Not surprised to read the ride report. It’s one of those routes near me that I occasionally get the itch to ride, but find offers far less reward than an equivalent amount of effort in the Lakes.

Best way to approach it is as a big day out with a reasonably high summit, great views etc rather than expecting some kind of endless, stellar descent. I too found it a bit stop start and hard to find any flow . I suspect a better, fitter rider could work a bit harder and keep things feeling a lot more satisfying.

stevedoc
    Free Member

@johnx2  I would be tempted to ride from the town to Caultey and shoulder up  and back from the top of the Calf as a few hour blast  as the way I went to looks like a hold on tight fun smash back down, but Its a long way to go for 2 hours .

Ive looked at this as well over the past few weeks pondering https://www.komoot.com/smarttour/4082049   but may head back into the Langdales and Coniston  as I know nothing I ride over there has ever disappointed .. I bet Stevensons grounds dry this time of year too …  The other is this https://www.komoot.com/smarttour/e976117032/coniston-and-sca-fell-loop-the-lake-district   Ive done parts but never tied it all together .. one for an energetic day me thinks .

johnx2
    Free Member

@johnx2  I would be tempted to ride from the town to Caultey and shoulder up  and back from the top of the Calf as a few hour blast

There is a route I’ve done a couple of times over the years riding then carrying up the White Fell bridleway which is pretty brutal as 45 degree pathless grass slopes go (and not a bridleway I can imagine a horse negotiating) . It makes for an okay looking horseshoe on the map but the horseshoe bit is done in 10 mins, and the cautley carry may be preferable just to get the downhill run. 

Staverly and some take on the kentmere horseshoe (another one I keep repeating) probably tick more boxes for most people. I guess I like the howgills because they ride better than the dales and are reasonably accessible from where I live, though so’s staverly.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Staveley and the Kentmere round are another go to, as again its like 10 minutes from the M6 and loads of differing trails or high fells to play about on .. apart from the Sandgil /Gatesgarth drudgery , at least the pools offer a little restbite in the sunnier days

martinhutch

a little restbite in the sunnier days

Restbite (n) Getting savaged by midgies after going for a swim in the pools under Gatesgarth Pass

stevedoc
    Free Member

To be fair nowhere near as bad as further up the M6  .. Once I get that far im toast for the little blighters .  Those pools are to inviting .

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.