Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Both our dogs have gone
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

So sorry for your loss. Hardest thing ever to loose a dog.

Futureboy77

I feel for you mate. Been through that myself and it ain't nice.

worst feeling in the world, holding a dog in your arms while they put him to sleep

So sorry for your loss. Hardest thing ever to loose a dog

Unless you've been very lucky, i'd say the loss of a human family member is significantly worse!

JulianA
    Free Member

I feel for you.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

My sympathy is with you 🙁

We've got 2 dogs, a 3 legged springer who's getting on for 10 (and struggling now, bless him 🙁 ) and we've got a 1 year old cocker who follows Barnaby (the springer) everywhere, he won't go for a walk without him and if we ever take Barnaby out the cocker spends the whole time trying to look out of the window and whining. Trying to teach him to be a bit independant for when the inevitable happens but it'll be difficult. For us as well (I was 10 when we got him so I've grown up with Barnaby!)

Spongebob
    Free Member

We've just had to put our last one to sleep tonight – a month after the first one. The second one died from being alone.

Call me insensitive here, but didn't the second one die because it was put to sleep?

sweepy
    Free Member

I hope people show you more sensitivity than that, should you ever need it Spongebob.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

worst feeling in the world, holding a dog in your arms while they put him to sleep.
    and
    Hardest thing ever to loose a dog.

does this mean dogs are more important than people?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Just talk to a mate last night – one dog for 12 yrs and a puppy.

Very sad indeed.
    GF Bischo got hit by a car and when I went to see her it was on the couch in a towel, cute tongue hanging out if was sleeping etc.

Dog owners get very close and its like family member loss.

Go for a ride with friends OP clear the mind and don't stay alone!

anagallis_arvensis

No, but I'll tell you what I have a dog and a kid on the way and it frightens me to think how protective, worried and scared I'll be about the kid, given what I'm like with the dog.

spacemonkey

Jim, ignore the insensitive b0ll0cks spouted (inevitably) by the minority here. They don't get it and probably never will.

Like Frankenstein says; go for a ride (or whatever other escapism you feel the need for), spend time with friends/family, and generally keep yourself busy.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Sorry guys, just not clear at all on why the second animal had to be put to sleep.

PS. I love dogs and have we've had 4 of the little chappies in our family.

Yep, it is very difficult when you loose them as they are like members of the family but, unlike humans, they never get under your skin. We love them because they don't have bad moods and are just brimming with affection and playfulness even when we have a face on!

I don't have a dog now because the vets fees are a stitch up, I don't like locking an animal in the house all day when we are out, or putting them in kennels. Then there's the trauma when they eventually go to that kennel in the sky.

Hohum
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

worst feeling in the world, holding a dog in your arms while they put him to sleep.
    and
    Hardest thing ever to loose a dog.

I am sure that some people feel that way!

In fact, I think that my Mum thinks more of her cats at the moment than she does about her grandchildren from the way she behaved towards them when we went down to see her this summer!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Our Springer was put to sleep a couple of weeks back after 16 bonkers years together 🙁

Still haven't been back to see my parents as the house will be wierd without him.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It means that sometimes your dog/pet can be more important than some muppet on the internet who opens threads like this purely to make crass insensitive remarks in the hope of drawing attention to themselves.

The unconditional affection which a dog can feel towards their owner contrasts starkly with the scant disregard some have for the feelings of others.

HTH ……..although I doubt that it will.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It means that sometimes your dog/pet can be more important than some muppet on the internet

of course, but more important than your closest loved ones ?

The unconditional affection which a dog can feel towards their owner

I love the use of "owner" in such a context

with the scant disregard some have for the feelings of others.

but I expressed no opinion whatever about anyone's feelings, and only inquired if their feelings for dogs exceeded any they held for humans as stated. I'll admit that dogs are inherently less challenging than relatives, lovers and friends.

HTH ……..although I doubt that it will.

not so far

JulianA
    Free Member

I'd rather shoot sfb than have (yet) another cat put to sleep.

Animals are fantastic and become part of the family. Much nicer than humans in every way.

Time helps, though. Trite but true: we (humans) live longer than pets. We've just lost one of our cats who'd been with us for all of our relationship and marriage (14 years – and with MrsJulianA for longer) and it hurt so much. That was a crap day (to say the least) – waiting for the vet to turn up… Much alcohol was consumed later.

The only thing you can take comfort from is that you've given them a great life.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'd rather shoot sfb than have (yet) another cat put to sleep.

curiosity killed the cat man ?

JulianA
    Free Member

No offense meant, sfb. It's just that I like animals more than people, mostly. Not personal.

(Besides, as a professional hitman, I'd want a decent contract to travel to Lancaster!) 😆

LeeW

Sorry to hear about your dogs, it still bring a tear to my eye when Jess our 17 year old lurcher was put down 2 and a half years ago.

I was a bit miffed when she fell once and dented the STST front of our new Fridgefreezer. Now I look at that dent and wish she was here to put another in it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think quite a few of the posters would like to use simonfbarnes to put another dent in it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Very sad situation. Hope you cope okay.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No offense meant, sfb

I'm only offended on behalf of my species, which I value above all others, despite their manifold failings. It's not that I lack sympathy for people with dead pets.

JulianA
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

No offense meant, sfb

I'm only offended on behalf of my species, which I value above all others, despite their manifold failings. It's not that I lack sympathy for people with dead pets.

Have you not noticed that your species is capable of putting cats into a wheeliebin? I cannot value your species above all others – no way!

JulianA
    Free Member

Anyway, we've gone a bit off topic now, so I'm not going to argue with sfb any more.

Sorry for your loss – I can imagine how much it hurts. Really.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

OK, I'm not blameless – I should have just ignored you Barnes, since it's obvious that you just want attention (half a dozen posts on this thread none of them constructive). But since you are now in the process of fully hijacking this thread, I guess the damage is already done. Why can't you resist threads like this ? You were banned recently for several days after hijacking another thread concerning a forum user losing his dog. You've made your point and everyone knows your views on the subject, so there's no need to endlessly keep hammering it…..maybe have a look at another thread ? 💡

Hope you coping as best you can Trailrider Jim …….they do leave a big hole in our lives when they go – don't they ?

As I suggested yesterday, now (imo) is a good time to look for a couple of puppies (if you were thinking of eventually getting dogs again). It won't stop you missing your 2 who have passed away, but as a vet once pointed out to me, it will provide you with a useful distraction. Specially with all the work that new additions to the household entail.

Good luck, Gus.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Why can't you resist threads like this ?

because people seem to lose all sense of proportion and I don't understand it. Is this like transsexuality where someone is born in the wrong sort of body, in this case the species ?

You were banned recently for several days after hijacking another thread

I'm not hijacking, I'm genuinely puzzled. Are you saying some questions cannot be asked ?

anagallis_arvensis

if your generally puzzled then start another thread on it, this isnt the place for your antics as well you know

Woody
    Free Member

Apologies for the above Jim on behalf of the decent people on here.

You undoubtedly gave them both a fantastic life. Doesn't make it any easier though and I really feel for you and family. Best wishes and condolences 😥

chipps

Simon will doubtless be delighted to read the four page feature in the next issue on 'mountain biking with your dog'

Gary_C

'mountain biking with your dog'

Isn't that cruel?

I mountain bike with my…bike!

Spongebob
    Free Member

Oh well, guess i'll never know the answer.

dogpower
    Free Member

Hope this is not too soon….
    I am thinking of breeding my Bikejor dog Bonnie (lurcher, collie/deerhound) with a Saluki type we met at a country show.
    I’d just like to get a general idea from the mountain biking community. Do you think this is a sound idea?
    The pups should be good at about 3 miles flat-out or a longish steady mountain-bike ride.
    I’ll be keeping a pup myself, so there are likely to be about 6 for other people.

donsimon
    Free Member

Maybe you should have started a new thread with this question, no?

takisawa2

Sad news indeed. 😐

sweepy
    Free Member

Nice dog there Dogpower.

JCL
    Free Member

“of course, but more important than your closest loved ones ?”

Yep for me. Was upset when the grandparents died but was an utter mess when our last dog died.

When I look at a photo of my parents when they were kids I have no idea what they were like, they could be anyone for all I know. I only really know them from early childhood to their passing and over that time period I will have totally changed also. For me the lifespan of a dog is far more soluble for the human brain to relate to.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

so sorry for your loss mate
    its been a while since ive had to go through this but when my collie was put to sleep i went for a drink to ‘send him off’ and around 50 people turned up some of my closest friends who knew him well were more upset then me even
    ive got great friends – the type who would run into traffic for you but Wolfie was the best friend ive ever had and got me through some really dark times.
    i feel sorry for those who dont understand the kind of relationship you can have with a dog

thwang-01
    Free Member

feel for you bud i had to put down my gsb a few years ago it nearly killed me didnt stop crying for a week. my staffy bitch is getting on now at 12 yrs im dredding going to the vets when the time comes.
    si

dogpower
    Free Member

you’re right don, I’ll start again wi’t thread

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Both our dogs have gone’ is closed to new replies.