Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Boris's 100mile ride
  • j3w3ll3r
    Free Member

I see Boris has jumped on the bandwagon and announced a festival of biking in August 2013 culminating in a 100 mile marathon

Having never really cycled further than the pub, or my normal stop start MTB ride round Thorndon I quite fancy it

What sort of training regime would be involved to get a 95 kilo couch potato to the finish line

justatheory
    Free Member

Incrementally longer rides leading up to the day

Muke
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

MTFU

TBH it depends how hilly the route is and how far you can currently ride

Roughly you should be able to do 60 ish miles comfortably as training rides to complete that ride of a similar hillyness to what you intend to ride perhaps a little further to be comfortable and sure.

If it is flat some serious effort/application pain tolerance may be enough on the day

shortcut

Get a road bike. Ride it. Ride it further. 70 or 80 miles is a good solo target and that fitness will get you to the 100 in a group!

Easy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

100’s easy with little/no training, i’ve done them within a few rides of getting back on a bike after an op, not pretty and not easy at the time, but keep eating and drinking and your heart rate below your threshold (this is the important bit, however fit you are if you go above this you will blow up, stick below it and you’ll be fine).

if you want to do it fast then join a roadie club, they’ll do 60 miles ish on a sunday morning in the slower groups, faster groups go further so you can move up as you get fit. If you don’t want to do it with a club then at least get used to riding without stopping/faffing about as thats the important thing on big days, you can go as fast as you like, but its the hours spent moving that actually get you to the end.

j3w3ll3r
    Free Member

Thanks for replys

I think I will start off building up distances a bit at a time and see how I get on, I have roped a pal in too

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Boris's 100mile ride’ is closed to new replies.