Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Boring estate or SUV type thing?
  • TheFlyingOx

I know my last car post was supposed to be about my last ICE car, and I ended up with a nice MK1 TT out of it, but the family workhorse is on its last legs: Skoda Superb mk2 Estate, it’s been very good to us but it’s needing more than its worth spending for the next MOT – suspension, rear wiper doesn’t work, parking sensors gone, wheels are beyond corroded, etc.
    I’m of the mind I should probably not go bangernomics for once and actually buy a reasonable car that’ll last for the foreseeable.
    I’m PlayStation 1 generation so all I know about are 90s Jap and early 2000s German.
    I’m after something newer than 10 years old, spacious, comfy and economical, budget £10-15k, and I have absolutely no idea what’s decent. Looking at 3 series 330d Touring but there’s got to be more out there.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Octavia Mk3 VRS, petrol engine?

3 series tourings are tiny in the boot, I’ve had hatchbacks with more space.

bails

A MK3 Superb?

You might find a 3 series small compared to the superb.

Gribs

I needed something to replace a dying Saab 9-5 Aero estate and initially looked at Newish 5 series and XF’s. I couldn’t bring myself to spend the money so ended up in a 2018 Kia Optima Estate. For £13k it’s spacious, comfy and economical. It’s the mid trim level model and has everything I’d expect in a car of that size, the only thing really missing is adaptive cruise. One of the main selling points for me was it still has the balance of the 7 year warranty whereas all the premium stuff was out of warranty at 3/4 years old. It’s got a hateful clattery diesel engine but that’s sadly par for the course without spending a lot more.

RustySpanner

Nearly new Vitara?

Utterly reliable, nice to drive, practical.
    SX4 is a bit bigger but an older design.

Cheap servicing and reasonable for tyres.

Genuinely can’t fault ours.
    Great dealer too.

5lab

Prius plus? Comfy, lots of toys, economical and you won’t be banned from city centres in future

jimw
    Free Member

Mazda 6 estate?
    After the Superb, almost anything short of another Superb or E-series merc will seem small.
    Having said that, do you still need something that big? I have had a 330D Touring and a Superb Mk2 170 Tdi 4×4 estate. The number of times I really needed the extra space could probably be counted on the fingers of one hand each year but then I don’t have a large family. The BMW was much more expensive to run than the Superb- everything from servicing, tyres, insurance let alone the extra fuel etc. etc. And in my opinion the Skoda was better built and most of the time a nicer place to be in…. But that straight six motor is a peach
    Edit: on reliability, the Skoda had one thing go wrong in the four yearsI had it- a switch for the central locking. Peanuts to fix. I sold the BMW to my sister in law who ran it for the next five years and it had over 180k miles when she got rid of it and other than wear and tear items was faultless

CountZero

There’s a big difference between a regular SUV and an estate – I could get a whole mountain bike in the boot of an Octavia hatchback, with the saddle right down, in the estate it would be even easier. I don’t know of many SUV’s other than T4/T5/Transit Customs*, where that’s possible, and I’ve seen most of the big SUV’s and driven them. You’re looking at possibly something like a Qashqai +2, which is slightly longer and has an extra (small) pair of seats in the back,

Personally, I’d also look at something like a Zafira, decent amount of space in the back with the last row of seats folded, with both rows there’s lots of room, and the 1.4 Turbo petrol is surprisingly nippy.

Maybe a Volvo XC90? Nice to drive, I took one to a dealer in town from work in Westbury, and it was a lovely drive, however, I was watching the average fuel consumption, and it started at 9.3, and had gone up to nearly 12 after fifteen miles, in traffic…

That’s miles/per, btw…

*Yes, I do consider vans like that to be SUV’s, just biggerer…

ta11pau1

A MK3 Superb?

Was going to suggest this 😁

Won’t be anything exciting though, 2.0tdi.

Subaru Levorg?
    Merc C or E class?
    Passat biturbo with 240bhp? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201051045311?atmobcid=soc3

b230ftw
    Free Member

I would try to spend as little as possible on cars right now, due to the high second hand prices. I reckon when they start to come down it might be really really hard price crashes as we start to get towards EV’s becoming the more popular choices and emissions zones becoming more widespread, prices of fuel etc etc. If you are htinking you’ll keep a car for maybe 3-5 years expect to lose a lot of money for the priveledge.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why are estates boring? If you want driving fun then an estate is far more likely to deliver that than an SUV. The Merc is flippin ace when thrown about.

TheFlyingOx

I’ve got a couple of motorbikes and a BAM TT for when I want a bit of driving “fun”. I’m just after a comfortable, spacious mile-muncher for when we go visit family down south/up north. Could handle like the Ever Given as long as it fits the bill. Octavia VRS looks ok from suggestions so far, and I’m not sure why I didn’t just think of a newer Superb either.

Caher

My SEAT Leon estate is a thing of beauty and drives well too.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

That Passat is cool but obscene money for a 6+ year old car.

Not the most exhilarating drive but the Avensis Tourer can be had with a nice looking trim and can take 3 bikes and 3 people with kit.

phil5556

3 series tourings are tiny in the boot, I’ve had hatchbacks with more space.

I love my E91 330D but it’s definitely not a big estate.

Daffy

I’m just after a comfortable, spacious mile-muncher

Okay, so definitely NOT a BMW 3 series estate…

I’d be looking at something like an Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDI, in either SE (comfort) or S-line finish (harsh and sporty, but arguably prettier and more expensive)

Something like these:

SE:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111109424769?postcode=sn147pd&sort=year-desc&maximum-mileage=70000&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&transmission=Automatic&price-from=10000&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=15000&year-to=2012&body-type=Estate&make=Audi&page=1

S-Line:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110319076152?postcode=sn147pd&sort=year-desc&transmission=Automatic&year-to=2012&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&radius=1500&maximum-mileage=70000&price-from=10000&body-type=Estate&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Audi&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&price-to=15000&page=1

or maybe a 3.0l?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112080330595?postcode=sn147pd&price-to=15000&sort=year-desc&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=10000&transmission=Automatic&radius=1500&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&include-delivery-option=on&body-type=Estate&make=Audi&maximum-mileage=70000&year-to=2012&page=2

Slightly older (older style inside and out) 2010/11 models are availble with the 2.0 TFSI petrol engine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Estates boring? Surely SUVs are the epitome of dull, given the amount of them that look similar and have poor load space.

Daffy

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    Estates boring? Surely SUVs are the epitome of dull, given the amount of them that look similar and have poor load space.

Yeah, cos efficient load space gives you that phwoar feeling 🙂

singletrackmind

Wanted, tatty skoda superb estate.
    Dont mind a project and have a degree of mechanical ability.
    As for its replacement, V70 D5. A 225bhp twin turbo ticks most of your boxes.
    Get a manual though, not geartronic.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yeah, cos efficient load space gives you that phwoar feeling

lol, tbh I’ve never looked for phwoar in any of my cars, though I’ve never had an estate or a SUV. See how much phwoar you feel when you’re having to strip the bike doon to get it into said daft SUV.

DaveP

I had an A6 2.0 tdi CVT – it was boring and rubbish on fuel (slightly better than a Q7 3.0 tdi). Friend has an A6 3.0 tdi allroad – at ~40k miles it threw the cambelt(s) and because of recovery/timescales/covid was charged ~£4k at the dealer.
    How about a 535d/530d?

sandwicheater

Ford Mondeo, loved are MK3 (maybe 4, no idea).

Got a courtesy Ford Galaxy for a few weeks, now that is boring but man was it huge.

Harry_the_Spider

As an SMax owner I am, by law, obliged to say SMax.

Have you considered an SMax?

TheBrick
    Free Member

. I reckon when they start to come down it might be really really hard price crashes as we start to get towards EV’s becoming the more popular choices and emissions zones becoming more widespread, prices of fuel etc etc

See I reckon the opposite for mid to large cars. The last generation will get into lez for some decent time, will not have the draw backs of ev. There will be no more made and and EVs will still be expensive when especially when adding new batteries. They may end up being a second car and not used for local jouries but still will be popular for quite some time. If your time line was 15 year plus I might be starting to agree but 3-5 years no way.

MoreCashThanDash

Yeah, cos efficient load space gives you that phwoar feeling

That explains all those estates you see parked up in rural laybys….

matt_outandabout

As an SMax owner I am, by law, obliged to say SMax.

Have you considered an SMax?

I miss our Galaxy – it was utterly cavernous, more like a van than an MPV for a family with bikes.

SMax was our preferred car when we bought, and I would choose one over a Galaxy being a bit smaller all round.

Much more reliable and cheaper to maintain than any of our German cars.

That says, and I am required by “by Harry’s law” to say V70. It is the best car I have ever owned.

matt_outandabout

Blimey – I have just had a look at car prices…ooft.

In theory, I have had £2k of depreciation in three years and 45k miles…?

TheFlyingOx

Wanted, tatty skoda superb estate.
    Dont mind a project and have a degree of mechanical ability.

If that’s genuine then drop me a message

Superficial
    Free Member

In theory, I have had £2k of depreciation in three years and 45k miles…?

I think I’ve had about a grand of appreciation in the 3 years / 12k miles. It’s all fake gains unless I plan to go carless. Which I don’t.

b230ftw
    Free Member

See I reckon the opposite for mid to large cars. The last generation will get into lez for some decent time, will not have the draw backs of ev. There will be no more made and and EVs will still be expensive when especially when adding new batteries. They may end up being a second car and not used for local jouries but still will be popular for quite some time. If your time line was 15 year plus I might be starting to agree but 3-5 years no way

Fair point. I still think there will be some readjustments when the supply chains recover which will lose a lot of people a lot of money.
    Buying at the peak of the market is never a good thing if you have the choice.

To the OP – if it was me I’d spend some money on the current car and keep it going for longer. It’s nowhere near the end of its life and a few hundred quid sorting out the issues is going to be significantly cheaper than getting a new car and might help you ride out this current price spike.

molgrips
    Free Member

still will be popular for quite some time

Yeah I agree, there’s loads of people who will want to drive around Scotland or wherever, or with a caravan/trailer but don’t have £45k to spend on a big EV. I really want a big EV for our next main car but there’s no chance I can afford to buy one that can tow. I might be able to lease one but I don’t like leasing. And if I want to get around Wales with a caravan it’s going to remain pretty difficult for a good few years yet even with the money to buy a 300 mile tow-capable EV.

Then if you have a nice driver’s ICE car it’ll keep its value as many petrol heads will start to fetishise them over EVs. Hell, even I relish going through the gears on that Merc, and I hate myself for it.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

kia Optima, dull but the 7 yrs warranty is great. I have the ProCeed estate, which is great, sporty and fun but may be a bit small for you?

SaxonRider

I just recently bought a Volvo XC90 and flipping LOVE it! It’s an oldie, but in virtually perfect nick, and beautiful to drive in the motorway.

It’s true that I am pretty pro-Volvo anyway, but would you look at an XC60 or similar?

onewheelgood

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112020160176?atmobcid=soc3

Nice XC90 here – mind you, £600 VED and sub-20 mpg might undermine the economic case a bit.

jimw
    Free Member

A friend of ours used to have an XC90, from when it was about three years old to about 10. In those seven years the number of times it was in the garage being fixed, usually at some considerable expense even at the good independent he used, was an eye opener. He loved it but even he gave up in the end, but then he did buy another Volvo, a three year old XC60.

Markie
    Free Member

We love our Galaxy!!

Dickyboy

Get yerself a diesel mondeo or mazda 6 of the 2.0l 150bhp variety & go for the smaller wheels/bigger tyres for comfort, should tick most if not all of your boxes. We considered both but in the end decided on smaller being more beautiful given that the kids are all grown up & bike carrying duties can be met with a roof rack.

the-muffin-man

Nice XC90 here – mind you, £600 VED and sub-20 mpg might undermine the economic case a bit.

9k for a 14yr old Volvo!!!? 😱😱

stingmered

@countzero

I don’t know of many SUV’s other than T4/T5/Transit Customs*, where that’s possible

Kodiaq, all day every day, even in the 7 seater guise. In face I can get a Looooong 29” Enduro beast (with 800mm bars) and the lads 24” hard tail in the back without any wheels off (old duvet between the two protecting the framework, I’m not an animal.)

chakaping
    Free Member

9k for a 14yr old Volvo!!!?

The world has gone utterly mad.

How much have you been quoted to fix your Skoda OP?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Boring estate or SUV type thing?’ is closed to new replies.