Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bored! Contemplating a 29er
  • Picto
    Free Member

Bit bored and avoiding going on the turbo. Thinking about getting rid of my FS race frame and my 26" Singlespeed and replacing them with a singlespeed 29er to sit alongside my trail hardtail.

Aim will be to use the 29er largely as a winter/wet weather bike but possibly ride the odd enduro/12hr/24hr event, so the option of gears would be good.

Would I be happy with an inexpensive relatively heavy steel frame – Haro Mary, Inbred, or do I need something lighter? Or do I just need to get on the turbo and think about something more important.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Get one and see what you think

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Wondering about a 29er meself. Maybe a 1 x 9 setup. Have had a go on a Niner SIR S/S and was very impressed but that seems a bit, erm, expensive.
    Scandal? Inbred?? Swift??? What others?

emac65
    Free Member

I like my 29er Inbred,it's not life changing & I wouldn't sell my FS for it but it's still rides nice …….

meikle_partans
    Free Member

get a scandal. everyone is always impressed by how much my inbred weighs. we regularly amaze ourselves by comparing it to 5 inch full sussers. it often wins*.

* top trumps rules – heavier the better.

epicyclo

Good idea 🙂

ton

some bloke is selling a nice 29r over there>>

Picto
    Free Member

Scandal sounds like it is probably the way forward if they get the slot drop out ones in again. A swift would be nice but a tad costly.

I rode an Alma 29er at Cirencester which set me off wondering about the 29er thing. Non technical course but it the bikes was ver fast on the flat ground and descents. Bit more effort climbing.

Ah well to the turbo, I can put it off no longer.

gee
    Free Member

Salsa Mamasita or Selma? I have one of each and they're lovely 🙂 Will have both available at Enduro6 if you want a go?

GB

TooTall
    Free Member

Scandal would flick your switch in all the right ways. 3 years on and I still think mine is great.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive a surly karate monkey thats nice . Tbh if you can get hold of a used fisher rig you wont go far wrong mate

adeward
    Free Member

i,m just puttting together a full rigid ss 29er,, with the option of a alfine ,, for some events

mboy
    Free Member

29ers are great

I was a massive sceptic (even more so given I'm "only" 5ft 11) before I tried one. The I tried one, and realised that they're nowhere near as unwieldy as people make out. Sure they require a little bit more effort to get round the tighter twistier stuff than a smaller wheeled bike, but it's marginal.

So I bought a 2nd hand GF Rig… Which I love! But now I've bought an Inbred 29er frame, which I've just built up. Would love a Niner SIR 9 or similar, but my god the price!!! OUCH! To be fair the Inbred isn't light (my 18" version is 5lb 14oz for the frame only, my Maverick Durance 5" travel full sus frame is a few ounces lighter!), but the geometry looks spot on. I'd have gone for a Scandal probably, but for the fact that On One mistakenly (in mine, and many other people's, opinions) decided to go back to conventional dropouts on the Scandal 29er.

How tall are you incidentally, not that I suppose it matters that much…

tazzymtb

my slot droppy scandal 29er is bloomin fantastic and with a proper light weight set of wheels accelerates like a F**ker,. The only downside I've found is that I'm having to relearn how to ride a 26er as I keep forgetting that little shopping trolley wheels are far twitchier!

Picto
    Free Member

Only 5'10 in cycling shoes, 5'9" without. Bit of a short arse for the Cobia All my MTBs are 18".

mboy
    Free Member

Get yourself one of these then mate…

I've literally just finished building it up ready to ride tomorrow. It's basically everything that was on my Gary Fisher Rig, re-framed on a 29er Inbred. I'm 5ft 11 (or as good as damn it), and it seems to fit well… They do a 16" version for shorter peeps too.

RustySpanner

Let me get this right – you've got a FS race bike, a 26 inch single speed AND a 26 inch trail hardtail. And you're bored?

Have you tried riding any of them?

The British Isles has many thousands of miles of wonderful legal trails that you may wish to explore. Visiting different areas of our exciting and varied land may make you reconsider your pathetic consumerist desires and may even make you appreciate what you already have.

Or just go out and buy another bike. Hope this helps. 🙂

Picto
    Free Member

Rusty S. Quite right sir. Boredom was due to being unable to get out yesterday and spending too much time on the web. Will make up for it today honest.
    And Yes too many bikes so hoping to rationalise and swap 2 for one in effect. 2 get a lot of use 1 not so much.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bored! Contemplating a 29er’ is closed to new replies.