Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Boost Rear Hubs
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

So I’m weighing up the new bike decision and if I do decide it’ll be a boost hub (stupid new standards that we dont want) so should I swap both hubs to purple hope pro 4 so I can have their boost rear hubs orrrrr wait for Chris King to start shipping their boost rear hubs and just swap the rear hub as I already have King hubs. The hope are slightly lighter and actually cost wise would probably equal out two hubs for one CK but would mean returning to the most annoying sounding rear hub in the whole world (IMO)??

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve got a purple hope boost hub to sell if interested, it’s only a pro2 though

hatter

Or DT Swiss?

jonnyrockymountain

apparently the newer hope hubs are quieter ?

GolfChick
    Free Member

The colour on the other hope accessories, brakes for example, have definitely faded, I wonder if the same is true of the hubs. The Chris King stuff to date looks the same as when it was purchased.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I love Hope. Made in UK etc. etc. but, given the option, I’d still go CK.

(Have/had both Hope and CK hubs and headsets on various bikes)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

On a Boost sidenote: http://www.lindarets.com/boostinator/

I have a set – not used yet as the frame is still being built, and not cheap with import duty, but very well made and certainly a good-looking short term solution.

RicB

It was only a matter of time before adapter kits came out. Seems strange that they’ve spaced the rotor out; would it not be better to space the caliper in as the caliper is attached with bigger, stronger bolts.

Also- why doesn’t the above kit work with non Evo Hope hubs? I thought the only difference with Evo was a 40t ratchet?

I think the new standards in the last few years have saved me £1k because I’m not buying new kit that’s obsolete overnight. Not sure if that’s what bikeind anticipated!

cokie

apparently the newer hope hubs are quieter ?

😆 Nope! My Pro4 is noisy. Doesn’t seem to sound any different to the Pro2. The sealing is better though- so I’d say go for Pro4 if you go the Hope route.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’ve decided I want to stick with Chris King hubs so I’m investigating the time delay on the boost being available in colours. I dont like the sound effect nor the colour fading of hope on this occasion!

scruff
    Free Member

Pro 4 is not any quieter than evos, the pickup is better though.

STATO
    Free Member

Also- why doesn’t the above kit work with non Evo Hope hubs? I thought the only difference with Evo was a 40t ratchet?

The rear evo has a larger axle sleeve, 17mm I think, over the standard Pro2. Note also there are 2 Pro2 Evo versions, the Pro2 Evo and the Pro2 Evo40T which came later. Interestingly the hub shell never really changed its dimensions, as hope just fitted a Pro2 EVO40t shell with the innards of my standard Pro2.

The fronts are the same across all Pro2, evo or not.

Pro4 looks good, disappointed they went with equal size flanges though, so you still need different length spokes on each side, opportunity missed.

Daffy

Pro4 looks good, disappointed they went with equal size flanges though, so you still need different length spokes on each side, opportunity missed.

No, you don’t. There’s less than ~1mm difference between DS and NDS on any symmetrical, 32h, 3x wheel. That’s easily what you’d find when building any wheel as spokes are available only at 2mm increments.

CK hubs also use symmetrical flanges.

kimbers
    Northwind

RicB – Member

It was only a matter of time before adapter kits came out. Seems strange that they’ve spaced the rotor out; would it not be better to space the caliper in as the caliper is attached with bigger, stronger bolts.

Post mount. You could do an offset pm adaptor but not if you’re going straight to the frame or fork.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think the new standards in the last few years have saved me £1k because I’m not buying new kit that’s obsolete overnight. Not sure if that’s what bikeind anticipated!

Ha!

You have no idea how much debate went into going Boost on my frame, especially as I’d forked out for two sets of wheels built onto regular Hope hubs. Certainly I never originally intended to. However this bike should last me a while and, for bigger wheels (29 and 650b+) the extra triangulation/dish offered makes a whole bag of sense, all usual marketing crap aside. So yeah, I’ve been stung and will be stung again, but I hope the upside will be a strong wheel and an element of future-proofing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Boost Rear Hubs’ is closed to new replies.