Home Forums Bike Forum Boost Gravel Frames – what’s out there?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Boost Gravel Frames – what’s out there?
  • sofaman

Salsa Fargo (I think), but anything else less pricy?

Wondering whether my nice-for-me DT Swiss 27.5 wheelset could be put to good use for some drop bar gravel build to cover mostly crap roads + a bit of off-road. Cotswold mud will soon appear I fear.

Maybe a stupid idea ‘cos a full build 700c may be cheaper, sufficient, better etc., but a donor bike for a winter build project appeals. HT with geo that works for drop bar an option?

honourablegeorge

The Cotic Cascade is boost, AFAIK

stanley

Mason In Search Of

superstu
    Free Member

Surly Grappler

Stooge Rambler

rOcKeTdOg

The Cotic Cascade is boost, AFAIK

definately is

53581455240_3f2367e69a_o

chakaping

So we’ve finally got mountain bike wheels settled on boost, but now gravel bikes can’t make up their mind?

Sheesh

stanley

So we’ve finally got mountain bike wheels settled on boost, but now gravel bikes can’t make up their mind?

Sheesh

My personal take on this is that if the bike is running boost spacing (and thus boost cranks and probably mtb gearing) then it’s a “drop ‘bar mountain bike” rather than a “gravel bike”. Using this reasoning means you can have two bikes in the garage rather than one :-)     The “drop ‘bar mtb” can then have big tyres, dropper, chunky build. etc… whilst the “gravel bike” can be a more svelte beast altogether. This can be continued to a third “all-road bike” that can be lighter still. The proper enthusiast can then start adding various “mtb’s” to the other end of the line-up. One bike quickly becomes a whole range of them. Amazing times!

sofaman

Food for thought – thanks all.

Description of ‘drop bar MTB’ vs ‘gravel bike’ is perhaps a useful view, as I’m after the latter rather than former. Attempting to reuse wheelset may be a false economy – need to retake my man-maths course :-)

And also enter the other rabbit hole of ‘standards’ differences… post vs flat mount etc….

PJay
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a thread on drop-bar mountain bikes recently? I’ll see if I can find it.

— Edit —

Surly Ghost Grappler or equivalent drop-bar MTB

sofaman

@PJay – super – thanks.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Not sure you’ll find a gravel bike with boost spacing, just a load of dropbar mountian bikes

rOcKeTdOg

Sheesh

Cascade has always been advertised as a drop bar MTB. Nothing stopping the op putting narrow rims and 38mm tyres on though.

Gravel is primarily 100/142 but the OP asked if there was an option. Presume they already have a spare wheel set?

My personal take on this is that if the bike is running boost spacing (and thus boost cranks and probably mtb gearing) then it’s a “drop ‘bar mountain bike” rather than a “gravel bike”

It’ll be restricted to 36-38t chainring too probably because of the chain stays accomodating boost

chakaping

Attempting to reuse wheelset may be a false economy – need to retake my man-maths course :-)

Hahaha.

Alternative suggestion – keep the rear wheel and build a mullet MTB

ampthill

The stooge rambler isn’t boost

You’ll have to go through the list

Complete List of 29” Drop-Bar Mountain Bikes

But i can only think of cascade, Gryphin (?) and Mason iso

But as the rambler plus very nice wheels is less than an iso i know what I’d do

sillyoldman

Focus do Boost gravel bikes. Don’t know if they do framesets though?

Surprised more don’t as 148 rear ends work better with the wide chainline of GRX etc.

Lots of gravel product out there with limited tyre clearance, but loads of space between chainrings and chainstay as they’ve been built to work with narrower chainline chainsets as well as wider gravel options.

Makes sense to embrace the wide chainline stuff and Boost, but I appreciate this might be faced with the same resistance that it met in MTB originally.

ampthill

Presumably gravel bike makers are looking for to maximise road compatibility, for wheels

i realise that might not be the best but it’s not crazy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.