Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Books you'd like to read, but can't.
  • RustySpanner

Dr John Watson’s original accounts of the arrest of Wilson the Canary trainer, the Red Leach and the tale of the Giant Rat of Sumatra, amongst others.
    There have been several recent speculative accounts, but after all this time, I think the world is now ready for the truth.

Would also love to find a copy of Ed Reardon’s 70’s classic, Who Would Fardels Bear?
    Sally Field tried her best, but
    the film just wasn’t the same.

nbt

The sun shines brightly in april, but the mayflower does not show

all sounds a bit “secret agent”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

‘The Amazing Adventures of Captain Gladys Stoatpamphlet and her Intrepid Spaniel Stig Amongst the Giant Pygmies of Beccles. Volume 8’

bikebouy
    Free Member

Readerz Wives.

The pages are stuck together.

RustySpanner

Glue gun accident?

I’d also quite like to finish ‘Jaws’.
    I lent it to a mate in the 80’s when he emigrated to Canada and he hasn’t sent it back yet.

neilthewheel

The Six Bunny Wunnies Freak Out.

surfer
    Free Member

‘The Amazing Adventures of Captain Gladys Stoatpamphlet and her Intrepid Spaniel Stig Amongst the Giant Pygmies of Beccles. Volume 8’

I’ve read the first 7 volumes I thought volume 8 was a rumour. Do you have a PDF?

johndoh
    Free Member

The Amazing Adventures of Captain Gladys Stoatpamphlet and her Intrepid Spaniel Stig Amongst the Giant Pygmies of Beccles.

Isn’t that Captain Beefheart’s second album?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only of the expurgated version.

hols2
    Free Member

finbar
    Free Member

I’d love to read “Runners & Other Dreamers” by John L Parker JR, but not quite enough to spend £40 on a copy as it’s out of print.

nickc

The remarkable Life of Howard Moon-Colon, Explorer

Northwind

I have the last discworld novel sat on a shelf, unopened, seems I just don’t want to read it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity Surveying.

I’ve been a QS for 20 years and i’ve yet to encounter an aardvark. I’m dying to know how it turns out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have the last discworld novel sat on a shelf, unopened, seems I just don’t want to read it.

I started it, read twenty pages or so, but never went back. I don’t want it to have to end.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Would also love to find a copy of Ed Reardon’s 70’s classic, Who Would Fardels Bear?

Not by Ed but you can get a copy.

funkmasterp

LOTR the braille edition.

Garry_Lager

Sled driver by Brian Shul would be good to look at – story of the SR-71 blackbird. Costs a few hundred.
    Type of thing you’d probably find in a local library somewhere.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Type of thing you’d probably find in a local library somewhere.

….or in a pdf linked to from a mountain biking forum?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-story-about-a-fighter-pilot-and-his-ground-speed

johnners
    Free Member

Sled driver by Brian Shul would be good to look at – story of the SR-71 blackbird.

Probably a little drier than you’d like and with fewer ripping yarns but there’s always

Archangel: CIA’s Supersonic A-12 Reconnaissance Aircraft By David Robarge

– courtesy of the CIA.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Codex Seraphinianus.

stuey
    Free Member

I can’t finish “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values”: The knowledge of Chris Pirsig’s death/murder stops me. Although reading this http://theaetetus.tamu.edu/online-texts/zen/zen-afterword.htmlI will try again.

juanghia
    Free Member

I’d also quite like to finish ‘Jaws’.

I have one copy of pretty much every single UK edition of that book & US First Editions…true story

Anyway the single one book I own but just can’t get through is Mein Kampf

CountZero

Same here, I’ve got the limited edition version in the slipcase, I just don’t have the heart to even take it out of the case, knowing there will never be another Tiffany Aching story. I discovered I needed to do some dusting when I got to the bit in one of the books where the bees start dancing!
    There’s another book, The Wizard Of The Pigeons, which I read once, and it made such an impression that I couldn’t even pick it up, let alone read it, because the whole, rather dark story would come back. It was around thirty years before I read it again, and I’m not sure if it won’t be another thirty years before I give it another go.

deadkenny
    Free Member

juanghia – Member 
    Anyway the single one book I own but just can’t get through is Mein Kampf

Got it on a free digital download (out of copyright I assume 😆 ), but not read it. Curious though.

I get the feeling Nigel Farage will have though. Judging by his own books being compared to it by some of the comedy reviews on Amazon 😀

juanghia
    Free Member

If you’ve ever had a three year old, who really really wants to watch the tweenies, but tweenies also coincides with dinner and you want said three year old to eat the aforementioned dinner…and if someone tried to transcribe the said conversation…..yeah thats kind of mein kampf.

Shame really as I was kind of intrigued as to look into the eugenics that the UK and US governments were simultaneously implementing at the same time.

sweepy
    Free Member

I fancy reading ‘Norways arctic highway’ By John Douglas, but its on Amazon for thirty quid and I’m not that fussed.

Oh and the third part of the Kingkiller chronicle if the bugger ever gets off his arse and writes it.

colournoise

CaptainFlashheart – Member

One of the stars of which is sitting in my lounge right now. This is Stig the spaniel in a not so intrepid moment…

z1ppy

Northwind – Member

3/4’s of the way through & just stopped, taken it on 2 holidays since, with the specificity intent to finish it & just don’t want to. Last holiday place even had a recreated/refurnished sheppard’s hut next to it, thought this might be time but no…

RobHilton
    Free Member

I can’t finish “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:

I got halfway through, tore it asunder and lobbed it in the bin.

It wasn’t really for me :mrgreen:

ericdances
    Free Member

Price Pritchett’s “You 2” or pronounced You Squared. I got this book for $30 bucks on Amazon and lost in in the plane. Now although it’s around 11 bucks I feel guilty to get it again.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Books you'd like to read, but can't.’ is closed to new replies.