Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bomber Experts Please….
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I own these:

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/detailProdotti.asp?LN=UK&idC=1592&IdFolder=113&idMY=2456&IdOggetto=2656#

Contrary to the tech spec listed there (see the manual) they were available in 170mm and 200mm guises. mine are the 170s. I have a set of 2009 Lyriks for my bike as well, so was looking to produce a bigger travel differential between the two forks.

Does anyone know what the physical differences between the two differeing travel versions of the 888 are? Ie, is there something I can change internally, do I need to buy a new xyz widget or cartridge etc?

Cheers.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Actually, confusingly I might have these forks:

http://manualer.happymtb.org/marzocchi/2005-888-r.pdf

That website doesn't list a manual for the 2004 888s, so less sure that they exist. The pictures in that manual look more like my forks, but the 2005 forks look different on the Marzochi website. Anyway, pretty sure those are what I have, though my lower-legs say 888R on them, yet I have the compression adjuster too – possibly the previous owner upgraded?

Anyway, currently comparing exploded diagrams….

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Sure its not the 05's you have? The 05 66's just needed a spacer change- guide here so hopefully the 888s are similar..

You'll find the 05 manual here so hopefully you can compare before pulling them apart.

Failing that, Windwave are pretty helpful.

Later years require new cartridges/rods.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm, the diagrams are the same for the 170mm and the 200mm versions…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pretty sure with 04 & 05 66's and 888's , you can just adjust the travel by swapping spacers about internally. I have some 05 Z1's that have this feature, its straight forward really.

Remove top caps
    drain oil
    remove springs
    remove lower legs
    take spacer off the bottom of the damping cart (it'll be above the rebound spring)
    re assemble lowers
    put spacer and spring back inside (in the top)
    fill with oil
    put top caps back on

away you go.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm, the diagrams are the same for the 170mm and the 200mm versions…..

They will be, apart from the spacer is in a different place

GW
    Free Member

no one 'owns' Bombers 😉

Got a set of 170mm 05 888R too. strangely the stanchions are just as long as a 200mm 888 and both sharethe same chassis, the internals are different tho. to change them to 200mm I'm pretty sure you'd need to switch the cartridge/rods. not worth it IMO (But I prefer 170mm on the front of a DH bike)

<EDIT> ok, I stand corrected (David).. never even noticed a spacer when servicing them 😳 makes sense that the stanchions are the same length as the 200mm version now.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If you were writing a manual would you:

a) Pretend you ad two forks the whole way through?

b) Point out at the start that they're the same apart from spacer position and halve the size of your manual?

You could even sell the adjustment as a feature!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Aaaargh – conflicting advice!

But I fear the latter is correct – different part numbers on the rebound cartridges.

The swines!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Aaaargh – Now you've edited your reply GW!

Confuzzled!

Part 33 on the diagram, the rebound cartridge rod thingy is "703690KM/C – Rebound Cartridge 888R-170 04" for the 170mm and "703688KM/C Rebound Cartridge 888R-200 '04" for the 200mm ones

???

Thanks!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I always thought that with 04 & 05's you could adjust them. I know with the 06's you definitely need new cartridges

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

On the exploded diagram the 170s have a part 34 "Sleeve 30mm" which isn't on the 200mm ones.

I presume this reduces the travel.

maybe both are right; I can get the 200mm by removing part 34, but the rebound cartridge will be out of whack? What do you think?

Part 34 is on the left leg, which could be an issue as I have a compression adjustable left leg, which doesn't appear on my diagram!

GW
    Free Member

Sorry, I haven't used those 888s in about 3 years but I do seem to remember it not being a spacer swap type cartridge set-up, I could be wrong but the different serial No.s does seem to back up what I'm saying.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ok, starting again with the RC manual……

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Speak to Windwave, they will clarify

GW
    Free Member

888R doesn't have compression

GW
    Free Member

Rock3 makes most sense 😉

:mrgreen:

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ok. The RCs have different rebound and compression cartridges and no other physical differences in assembly.

Looks like the Rs could possibly be adjusted with the spacer, though might still be limited by the rebound cartridge, but the RCs definitely need new cartridges.

Wonder what they cost?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

GW – Yeah, I know, my forks are labelled R, but they definitely have compression adjustment! Don't know if I have the 'wrong' lowers, the 'wrong' stickers or the cartridge has been added later, or whether all three of those options are the same!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

UkBikestore will get you prices (right next to Windwave), but probably cheaper picking up a second hand pair.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sorry for giving you false hope. You could take em apart yourself and have a look?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

That's ok, unless the exploded diagram is wrong, it's new cartridges. UKBikestroe want £85 just for the compression cartridge and don't have the rebound cartridge listed, but guess a similar price, so not really worth it right now. Probably more cost effective to sell what I have and buy some longer forks.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Have you spoken to Windwave for the definitive answer?

IA

Ignoring all the thread as I CBA the answer is: to change travel on 888rs (which if they are 04 means they're the same as 05 rcs) you need new cartridges and possibly springs (i forget the spring part).

It's non trivial and quite expensive. And they're tall forks anyhow unless you're running flat crowns, it's not worth the effort.

Why do you want to do it? It's almost certainly not going to make you any faster, and if it's to slacken the bike out, drop them down the crowns a bit.

IA

"GW – Yeah, I know, my forks are labelled R, but they definitely have compression adjustment! Don't know if I have the 'wrong' lowers, the 'wrong' stickers or the cartridge has been added later, or whether all three of those options are the same!"

cos '04 888R are the same fork as 05 888rc, they changed the naming scheme. All bow down before my mighty useless bike trivia 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just Pull them apart and have a look they are very simple inside.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I wanted to make them longer because more is better right? I have 160mm Lyriks on it and was going to swap my Bombers on for DH stuff (Santa Cruz Bullit), but it seems a lot of effort for an extra 10mm and an extra inch or so of fork length. So I thought maybe try them longer for more of a difference between the two forks.

Not necessarily about making me faster though, more about getting me out of more trouble.

peachos
    Free Member

so, in conclusion, you should probably just let me stick the triple 8's on my bike!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

In summary. No.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bomber Experts Please….’ is closed to new replies.